The mkiv Supra Owners Club

advise on single turbos on ebay

absz

Why are you guy's so picky, so there is no V flange on the back of the turbo !!!!

But if you take a look at the down pipe you get with the kit it has the locking ring on it and all you need is a good welder who can weld a flange ring onto the hot snail as was done to mine and hey presto it's job done and about 2K saved

Easy tiger :) I'm not being picky, I'd just never heard of one without before so I'm interested in finding out about it.

Now the only reason I can think that some of you are moaning about such a small thing is because you have all got so used to paying top prices where everything just bolts straight on that you have lost the abilty to be inventive.

Haha there is enough to be inventive about even when it all bolts together mate - one mans' "engineering challenge" is another mans' "nightmare". I liked the BL kit a lot as it had everything from exhaust manifold to back box. Every last blanking plug, washer, and hose clamp. Still had to sort out the BOV location, EGT probe boss, intercooler hose fitment, boost controller plumbing, not to mention my own fuel system and the E-Manage! All that was inventive enough for me I can tell you ;)

I know that some of you are going to jump down my throat and say " you cannot weld direct to the turbo as it will cause it to distort " well before you do make sure the welder you use knows about COLD WELDING he will know what I mean.

I wondered about that, I mean I know the turbo is rather used to seeing high temperatures but it's always all over, not in single spots as the weld is done. So what's cold welding? Sounds cool (arf arf), how does it work? I mean, obviously you've got the thing fitted so it must be possible, I'm in no way disputing that I'm just trying to learn new stuff here :thumbs:

-Ian

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an excellent thread, I'm really impressed that such a cheap kit from ebay can be so effective (even if some creative engineering is needed!).

I'd love to go this route, but simply don't have the courage (never done one before, guess once you have done one then it becomes much less scary).

Would anyone hazard a guess at the cost of getting this kit installed? Gregsupra, ever you considered starting a sideline business installing these? You might get a fair few customers I expect!

This is an excellent thread, I'm really impressed that such a cheap kit from ebay can be so effective (even if some creative engineering is needed!).

I'd love to go this route, but simply don't have the courage (never done one before, guess once you have done one then it becomes much less scary).

Would anyone hazard a guess at the cost of getting this kit installed? Gregsupra, ever you considered starting a sideline business installing these? You might get a fair few customers I expect!

good point £500 amazing...Is that the kit with the intercooler cos they do a kit without the IC for even less???

Could you basically fit the turbo kit, bigger injectors and fuel computer and that would be it. asuming your already BPU[?].

On a UK car it should presumably be even easier. Larger injectors are already there, as is the fuel pump I think. What I would like to know is can I use an SMIC in the stock location with one.

Gregsupra, ever you considered starting a sideline business installing these? You might get a fair few customers I expect!

Funny you should say that samsupra37 and I hve discussed this and as we are on our 2nd conversion we are looking in October to start looking at putting together a kit and fitting service specifically for single turbo upgrades. So is this of interest to anyone? let us know we would be very interested in your opinions please..... :shrug: :thanks:

Oh as a foot note the turbo intercooler are all in and will post photos as soon as can figure out how!!!!! :ecstatic:

Are you pleased with it abs?

yep happy with what i have seen. just waiting for the manifold, they shipped the kit in 3 boxes and gave me 3 tracking numbers. its just the last one keeps doing the rounds :complain: ( shipped from states to stansted/then back to states/back to stansted again, and now with fedex local branch. good thing this tracking numbers heh.

yep happy with what i have seen. just waiting for the manifold, they shipped the kit in 3 boxes and gave me 3 tracking numbers. its just the last one keeps doing the rounds :complain: ( shipped from states to stansted/then back to states/back to stansted again, and now with fedex local branch. good thing this tracking numbers heh.

Absxxx,

Did you not get the connecting down pipe into the exhaust as it doesn't seem to be in your pics? :tumble:

Funny you should say that samsupra37 and I hve discussed this and as we are on our 2nd conversion we are looking in October to start looking at putting together a kit and fitting service specifically for single turbo upgrades. So is this of interest to anyone? let us know we would be very interested in your opinions please..... :shrug: :thanks:

Oh as a foot note the turbo intercooler are all in and will post photos as soon as can figure out how!!!!! :ecstatic:

Well I would be interested in it for sure! I'm planning to do some of the basics (fuel pumps etc) to get my car ready so that if I want to go for the big single, everything else is up to the job.

I take it your kit would be based on something like the ebay one, maybe with some specific alterations to make its application to the 2jz-gte a bit easier?