The mkiv Supra Owners Club

AC Stainless Steel Surrounds - Now Available

Noz

I can supply things that I don't make. What I pay for them and what I charge for them is 2 different things though.

In either case a group buy thread agreed by the moderation team would need to be in place.

I couldn't care less but when there are guys getting pulled up for offering to help members out by diagnosing their cars on their rolling road because they aren't traders it's just unfair that other people feel that they can slip under the radar. This forum is getting rife with it now.

I'm open with the process of new items, which I design and have made. I had custom footrest made for a friends car which I designed and the guy had some stuff already designed. I design stuff and have it made, I don't contact people with pure ideas that's being a trader, buying and selling. If these people had the designs without me they would be selling is already? I design stuff and have it made, thats why I have the right to buy it from them and they don't advertise it elsewhere because the designs for the products are my own. I make an agreement with suppliers, i dont `bulk buy` and then sell on for profit.

I cost the items for post and purchase, to be honest most of this stuff just isn't even worth the hassle, but I actually enjoy sorting people out with custom items rather than making profit.

Aside from rear custom lights Im working on and pillar pods, as far as I'm aware no trader on here does stainless laser cutting or sheet forming, I don't try and arrange group buys I just take pot luck as it's not a money making scheme.

If people have a problem with me selling custom designed stuff on here and purely covering my costs then please tell me and I'll stop trying to create new custom items.

Previously on peoples application to become a hobbyist, the question is asked: do people think they will supply the forum with a reasonable amount of products and services. so if im not building up a history of products how can people give an honest opinion on stuff I supply?

I do this for fun, and without selling anything people wouldnt vote for me to be a hobbyist. ive asked 3 moderators about applying to become a hobbyist as i enjoy having things made for the mkiv and many other people seem to be happy as well as some stuff you just cant buy.

i tried to find out about a group buy for door sills, as this is a more expensive item, anything over 30quid in my eyes is considered a serious purchase which is why your find the GB thread as i was looking into getting quotations. i also contacted a mod about this.

i am hoping to make a single set of LED rear lights as i wanted to try something new, not to make large amounts and make a profit but purely to take progression photos and say i could do it. i contacted heckler about selling the set if i wasnt happy with them on my own car and he said that was fine, he's actually supplying me with the PCB's to make them. i done this because i dont want to thread on anyones toes. i explained this to him and he had no problems with it.

like i said before, i enjoy making stuff.

if people have an issue with what im doing on here than regardless of what a mod says just tell me, as im here because i enjoy the hobbie not to make a profit or upset anyone. this is an online social circle and if im breaking rules il be the first to recommend being put in my place for it.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't care less but when there are guys getting pulled up for offering to help members out by diagnosing their cars on their rolling road because they aren't traders it's just unfair that other people feel that they can slip under the radar. This forum is getting rife with it now.

You keep saying that, but you dont report the posts. The word 'rife' means everybody is doing it, so I would expect to see a lot of reported posts from you. You can bitch and moan about it each time, or you can report the post and let the mods pick it up. Whichever makes you happiest.

Ommm, you got told on.

I'd vote for him to become a hobbyist,after all the club is about helping peeps out and Noz helps,in my book he's a good egg and good for the club

Just my 2p's worth.:)

I agree with this too. He seems to be getting some decent items made up.

Hobbyest trading seems hard as hes not making these.

I did the same with my blanking plates. I needed them and when i saw how much i could get them for i got a load in. I sold them at £4 profit, probably less when i posted them. However i wasnt in it for cash other wise i would ebay them, its just some times i see things on people cars i want.

The foot stop.

Heater surrounds,

Heater dials

If someone can get them and isnt taking the pee with the price i dont see an issue. Its not like noz is sitting at home making these to order. He wanted them he had them made, he then offered them to the club for less than half of what they should cost

You keep saying that, but you dont report the posts. The word 'rife' means everybody is doing it, so I would expect to see a lot of reported posts from you. You can bitch and moan about it each time, or you can report the post and let the mods pick it up. Whichever makes you happiest.

I would actually rather point it out to the people doing it hoping that they would have some decency to be honest. The ones who don't are a different matter and I have reported them in the past although through PM rather than report post.

Edit: Hope you're giving yourself infraction points for the swearing ;)

I'm open with the process of new items, which I design and have made. I had custom footrest made for a friends car which I designed and the guy had some stuff already designed. I design stuff and have it made, I don't contact people with pure ideas that's being a trader, buying and selling. If these people had the designs without me they would be selling is already? I design stuff and have it made, thats why I have the right to buy it from them and they don't advertise it elsewhere because the designs for the products are my own. I make an agreement with suppliers, i dont `bulk buy` and then sell on for profit.

I cost the items for post and purchase, to be honest most of this stuff just isn't even worth the hassle, but I actually enjoy sorting people out with custom items rather than making profit.

Aside from rear custom lights Im working on and pillar pods, as far as I'm aware no trader on here does stainless laser cutting or sheet forming, I don't try and arrange group buys I just take pot luck as it's not a money making scheme.

If people have a problem with me selling custom designed stuff on here and purely covering my costs then please tell me and I'll stop trying to create new custom items.

Previously on peoples application to become a hobbyist, the question is asked: do people think they will supply the forum with a reasonable amount of products and services. so if im not building up a history of products how can people give an honest opinion on stuff I supply?

I do this for fun, and without selling anything people wouldnt vote for me to be a hobbyist. ive asked 3 moderators about applying to become a hobbyist as i enjoy having things made for the mkiv and many other people seem to be happy as well as some stuff you just cant buy.

i tried to find out about a group buy for door sills, as this is a more expensive item, anything over 30quid in my eyes is considered a serious purchase which is why your find the GB thread as i was looking into getting quotations. i also contacted a mod about this.

i am hoping to make a single set of LED rear lights as i wanted to try something new, not to make large amounts and make a profit but purely to take progression photos and say i could do it. i contacted heckler about selling the set if i wasnt happy with them on my own car and he said that was fine, he's actually supplying me with the PCB's to make them. i done this because i dont want to thread on anyones toes. i explained this to him and he had no problems with it.

like i said before, i enjoy making stuff.

if people have an issue with what im doing on here than regardless of what a mod says just tell me, as im here because i enjoy the hobbie not to make a profit or upset anyone. this is an online social circle and if im breaking rules il be the first to recommend being put in my place for it.

As I said, regardless it has to be a group buy as far as I'm aware. I did some mats a while back, I didn't make any money on them but wanted to offer them to the guys here. It also meant that we could get a logo with enough buyers.

Had to be a group buy though, through the moderation team.

I have been honest from the start about what I do, how it's done and how it's made. I understand you would rather point out any unfair play as you see it, but I have come across to all members, mods and traders involved in anything related to what I have had made.

Are you just making a passing statement, or are you complaining about me in particular. Id just rather you were honest, as if you know a better way to go about things Id like to do this, as I still consider myself new here and without selling something, someone can not become a hobbyist, these items are my effort to show I can supply custom designed parts.

a hobbyist may be defined as someone who `actually creates the product themselves`, but should it not be defined that in this instance i am selling the item, have also created it somewhere along the way. i am designing stuff, therefore i could be considered the creator. a machine operator does not laser cut the material himself, therefore could he be considered to have made it?

All im saying is that these items aren't on the market, people are interested and without me they wouldn't be on here. thats not to say other people couldn't design stuff or even have it made better but without me these few custom products wouldnt be here.

i can understand what your saying, but im getting them in batchs of ten, the only different is the thread layout. i make sure im not stepping on anyones toes, does the thread layout matter that much? im not trading.

what happens if someone wants a footrest and they miss out on the group buy, its their loss. at least having a few lying around it leaves people a chance to decide if they want one?

i think a decision needs to be made if i can sell stuff as a hobbyist in this way. i have been trying to sort this out over the past few weeks but sadly ive not had much progress. i think a Mod needs to resolve this so there is no disbute and i know what i can and can not do without any grey areas.

I have been honest from the start about what I do, how it's done and how it's made. I understand you would rather point out any unfair play as you see it, but I have come across to all members, mods and traders involved in anything related to what I have had made.

Are you just making a passing statement, or are you complaining about me in particular. Id just rather you were honest, as if you know a better way to go about things Id like to do this, as I still consider myself new here and without selling something, someone can not become a hobbyist, these items are my effort to show I can supply custom designed parts.

a hobbyist may be defined as someone who `actually creates the product themselves`, but should it not be defined that in this instance i am selling the item, have also created it somewhere along the way. i am designing stuff, therefore i could be considered the creator. a machine operator does not laser cut the material himself, therefore could he be considered to have made it?

All im saying is that these items aren't on the market, people are interested and without me they wouldn't be on here. thats not to say other people couldn't design stuff or even have it made better but without me these few custom products wouldnt be here.

i can understand what your saying, but im getting them in batchs of ten, the only different is the thread layout. i make sure im not stepping on anyones toes, does the thread layout matter that much? im not trading.

what happens if someone wants a footrest and they miss out on the group buy, its their loss. at least having a few lying around it leaves people a chance to decide if they want one?

i think a decision needs to be made if i can sell stuff as a hobbyist in this way. i have been trying to sort this out over the past few weeks but sadly ive not had much progress. i think a Mod needs to resolve this so there is no disbute and i know what i can and can not do without any grey areas.

I don't have any issue with anyone in particular, in fact I would go as far as to say I quite like you and your response given here. It's actually quite refreshing, if it's true (I couldn't get through a whole post without being cynical :D). I just don't like seeing some people getting questioned on their motives while other people aren't so when I see a thread flying under the radar as far as the rules go I tend to question the OP.

I think the term "hobbyist" is just coined for people looking to sell small batches of whatever. Trader is coined for people selling larger batches. I don't really think it matters where you get the items from, or whether you make them yourself, if you are supplying them to forum members there has to be a certain responsibility to the forum. Firstly you must be accepted by the moderators to put forward an application, the application must then be accepted by the members. This, for me, is to substantiate your responsibility on the forum when selling items and to show other members that you are in fact trusted with the products you are selling.

The fact that you are just starting off with a few items I would suggest that they are raised as a group buy. A group buy isn't just started with a thread title stating that, they are subject to application through the moderating team. The moderators will put the suggested group buy to the traders on the forum to make sure that they cannot supply the said items, and if they can they are then given the chance to supply them under the same terms as the proposed group buy. Once you get the go ahead you start a thread with "group buy" as the prefix and mention in it that it has been approved by the mods. Once that's done you are golden.

If you have a few non-profit hits then I would suggest applying for hobbyist. That way you can make a little profit on the items that you are selling, if you so choose, and you can also supply in larger quantaties meaning that the prices to the members would also be less.... win win.

these are not the same as my design scott. they are a thinner material, i am using 1mm. These stainless steel surrounds you have linked to are different to the ones I have made. The LED dimensions will be the same regardless who makes them. If you do not beleive me, I have the drawing here for when I originally designed them:

anyway, this is heading away from the topic of conversation. you can not compare every product i make to one similiar on the market, or that looks the same or may include the same feature. i am making stuff from new, designing it and supplying the forum at a price which is not profitable and people are happy with. more expensive products in the shop are not important if people would rather have the same product cheaper from a source than manufactured a lower quantity.

anyway, this is heading away from the topic of conversation. you can not compare every product i make to one similiar on the market, or that looks the same or may include the same feature. i am making stuff from new, designing it and supplying the forum at a price which is not profitable and people are happy with. more expensive products in the shop are not important if people would rather have the same product cheaper from a source than manufactured a lower quantity.

I never said you weren't bud. You mentioned earlier that they weren't available and that you were offering items that couldn't be bought.

I was just saying that they could be bought, and with the lovely "Supra" logo to boot :)

BTW the ones I made were 1mm too, little too thick though. Try to make them on a thinner gauge steel.

The original wa 1.2mm!! 1mm is a slight too thick il admit, but if keeps the cost down I'll probably stick with it. The ones i measured from were thinner again.

I meant `most` of the stuff I design and make you can't buy. The only reason Id get something made that is already on the market from a non-forum related source is to save people money and get it made at a low cost.

The AC surrounds was just an idea, as I know they aren't overly common and was just trying to experiment.

I think the best way is for me to apply for hobbyist status, will solve these problems.

Would you vote for me scott :)

The original wa 1.2mm!! 1mm is a slight too thick il admit, but if keeps the cost down I'll probably stick with it. The ones i measured from were thinner again.

I meant `most` of the stuff I design and make you can't buy. The only reason Id get something made that is already on the market from a non-forum related source is to save people money and get it made at a low cost.

The AC surrounds was just an idea, as I know they aren't overly common and was just trying to experiment.

I think the best way is for me to apply for hobbyist status, will solve these problems.

Would you vote for me scott :)

I most certainly would :)

Is it a laser machine you're getting them made up on?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.