The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dyno Numbers, FWHP/RWHP/RHHP

JamieP

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is common practice here in Denmark to measure crank HP and the owner of the Dyno Ryan and I used for my car, has dyno'd quite a lot of cars that has also been dyno'd on a popular local fwhp dyno.

The results all show between 10 and 20 something % less power on the Dynapack, and what's interesting is that the accuracy of the fwhp dyno apparently has been checked and verified by the Danish Technological institute, a few years back when they tour'd the country to measure dynos.

Guest kenblockseal
What 1/4 times have you laid down?

On all my cars over the years or anything in perticular ? as ive done 100s of runs in loads of cars.

Id need go get my print outs from the house from over the years.

Off the top of my head -

11.2 in a 490bhp evo6 RS

12.4 In a Impreza Rb5 Running 287Bhp and Nitrous

12.3 In a Ver5 STi TypeR with 309bhp

11.7 In a Supra with 470bhp@wheels

10.5 In a 650bhp Evo9

I will have my new supra out on Sunday for a run providing the mapping goes to plan tomorrow with Ryan.

What sort of times have you laid down Jamie?

On all my cars over the years or anything in perticular ? as ive done 100s of runs in loads of cars.

Id need go get my print outs from the house from over the years.

Off the top of my head -

11.2 in a 490bhp evo6 RS

12.4 In a Impreza Rb5 Running 287Bhp and Nitrous

12.3 In a Ver5 STi TypeR with 309bhp

11.7 In a Supra with 470bhp@wheels

10.5 In a 650bhp Evo9

I will have my new supra out on Sunday for a run providing the mapping goes to plan tomorrow with Ryan.

What sort of times have you laid down Jamie?

Have you got terminal speeds for all of the above?

Just as a matter of interest when a BPU car is claimed to be 380hp is that hub horsepower or flywheel??

Is a manufacturers power figures flywheel or hub??

And finally 1 for Jurgen,

When you advertise your cars at certain HP figures but us PS. Now I know this is what the Japanese use, it it flywheel or hub??

Guest kenblockseal
Have you got terminal speeds for all of the above?

Not at hand no as im sitting in my office, And ive been drag racing cars for 7 or 8 years now so those were just the ones that stuck out in my memory.

All those times were ran at Crail with its unprepped surface.

Though i dont really see why my quarter mile times are relevant , I wasnt saying anyones car isnt making the power they are claiming, nor was having a go at JamieP's power figure.

All i was saying was id rather run a good time, that have power guestimates in my signiture.

Would be a good test to get a totally stock supra down to either Dan's Dyno or TDI with a healthy set of turbo's/engine no mods and see what it produces, and see what we calculate as FWHP matches to what we calculate modiefied Supra Results as... We know that a stock Jap Supra will Produce 280fwhp or 320ish for a Uk... This is an interesting thread :)

Though i dont really see why my quarter mile times are relevant , I wasnt saying anyones car isnt making the power they are claiming, nor was having a go at JamieP's power figure.

All i was saying was id rather run a good time, that have power guestimates in my signiture.

The thread is about comparing different dyno results.

Not the sort of reply I expected tbh, I only asked out of interest, the way you spoke of running a good 1/4 time I thought you must be well into it and I was interested in your times.

Id rather lay down a good quarter mile time , than have inflated figures in my signiture.

Alot of variables with 1/4 mile E/T's though. Weight plays a big part. For a true power indicator trap speeds or a standing mile top speed would be better.

For exapmle if Paul converted his car to a drag setup, he would probably get Into the 8's with that power to weight ratio. However it won't get near that in it's current form. Either way it would still be 1300bhp.

I ran a 10.9 in my Subaru with not a whole load of power, just was very light and well setup.

Guest kenblockseal
The thread is about comparing different dyno results.

Not the sort of reply I expected tbh, I only asked out of interest, the way you spoke of running a good 1/4 time I thought you must be well into it and I was interested in your times.

Ive never really bothered with dyno figures mate personally due to every dyno giving diffrent readings and the amount of arguing ive seen on forums over the years due to dyno figures, Out of the 3 main rolling roads we use in Scotland the ive seen figures +/- 80bhp on the same car at the same state of tune.

Thats why id rather go with a 1/4 mile time that was all i meant, I used to be alot more into drag racing years ago, then going into doing Knockhill in Evos and kind of lost intrest.

Ive never really bothered with dyno figures mate personally due to every dyno giving diffrent readings and the amount of arguing ive seen on forums over the years due to dyno figures, Out of the 3 main rolling roads we use in Scotland the ive seen figures +/- 80bhp on the same car at the same state of tune.

Thats why id rather go with a 1/4 mile time that was all i meant, I used to be alot more into drag racing years ago, then going into doing Knockhill in Evos and kind of lost intrest.

But surely there are loads of varibles when it comes to 1/4mile times. You might have a car that could do a 9sec pass but if you cant drive it you wouldnt know, so how does that prove anything.

Guest kenblockseal
But surely there are loads of varibles when it comes to 1/4mile times. You might have a car that could do a 9sec pass but if you cant drive it you wouldnt know, so how does that prove anything.

Yeah true, but realisticly if the cars making the power it should set good times although i agree drive ability does play a big part for instance TdR ran a 11.5 at BPU.

A good proven time in my opinion is more credible than a dyno estimating variables to calculate a power figure.

Just as a matter of interest when a BPU car is claimed to be 380hp is that hub horsepower or flywheel??

Is a manufacturers power figures flywheel or hub??

And finally 1 for Jurgen,

When you advertise your cars at certain HP figures but us PS. Now I know this is what the Japanese use, it it flywheel or hub??

bpu 380 will be flywheel mate, PS is flywheel its the total power.

Would be a good test to get a totally stock supra down to either Dan's Dyno or TDI with a healthy set of turbo's/engine no mods and see what it produces, and see what we calculate as FWHP matches to what we calculate modiefied Supra Results as... We know that a stock Jap Supra will Produce 280fwhp or 320ish for a Uk... This is an interesting thread :)
fair point andy, but i think there is more issues with more power on tap.

i had a supra some years ago..

it made 656 bhp and then on same dyno arun or so later it made 987..(operator said something about it slipping or something).

fair point andy, but i think there is more issues with more power on tap.

i had a supra some years ago..

it made 656 bhp and then on same dyno arun or so later it made 987..(operator said something about it slipping or something).

I had my BPU reading over 500bhp on the dyno until we sat 2 big people in the boot!

Good luck with the car tomorrow and let us know how you get on, whats the spec? what dyno are you going on?

Jamie.

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

Guest kenblockseal
Good luck with the car tomorrow and let us know how you get on, whats the spec? what dyno are you going on?

Jamie.

Manual aerotop, Precision turbo, greddy inlet, BC272s , Syvecs & nitrous.

It's just a baby compared to your spec from what i seen at Suprapod.

Its running on Hypertec's rollers which is a Dyno dynamics set up.

Its been a bit last minute because of a dodgy camshaft last week meaning i had to cancel Ryan and switch engines, but ive put it together to compete at USSC at Crail this weekend.

Cheers.

Agree with that approach - hence I was never too bothered about getting a power figure from mine.

I'm pretty sure that dynapack / rototest figures for hub HP are pretty much spot on for a Dyno Dynamics or Dastek dyno flywheel HP numbers. Some of the readings getting converted into supposed flywheel numbers from dynapack / rototest hub readouts in recent times have been, IMO, fantasy land. To accept them would be to accept that blokes 530bhp (exagerating here as can't remember exact figure but you get the idea) or whatever it was reading on stock / hybrid turbos from a dynapack - which most people questioned at the time but now chasing dyno numbers has become the fashion again.

Kenny's cars / times line-up might look like a work of fiction to most but I personally have seen the majority of those cars and many of the times ran at Crail over the years.

All the best with USSC at Crail on Sunday Kenny - hope you get the job done for us Supra boys with the latest project, will likely head up with the wee man to watch / let air out of R35 tyres :D

You could stick a project thread up with your Supra build details, it's been an epic journey and you have a tasty spec.

Cheers,

Brian.

Guest kenblockseal

Kenny's cars / times line-up might look like a work of fiction to most but I personally have seen the majority of those cars and many of the times ran at Crail over the years.

All the best with USSC at Crail on Sunday Kenny - hope you get the job done for us Supra boys with the latest project, will likely head up with the wee man to watch / let air out of R35 tyres :D

You could stick a project thread up with your Supra build details, it's been an epic journey and you have a tasty spec.

Cheers,

Brian.

I dont think the times i ran look like fiction at all Brian, probibly because i ran them all, but if you put 700bhp in any other performance car other than a supra you would probibly run a 10.

Granted the times i ran were with lots of practise, i can remember running my impreza over 30 times one day, and running nearly every time within a 10th of a second of my best, infact nearly all those runs were against your brother :D

Cheers on the USSC, i will hopefully see you up there mate, Martin and the rest of the lads are coming so theres about 30 or so coming from my garage, theres some quick 4wd stuff with us too so hopefully have a good few in the finals.

A build thread would probibly be too gypsy for on here since weve done all the work ourselves and looks shabby compared to some of the awsome projects on here.

Edited by kenblockseal (see edit history)

I dont think the times i ran look like fiction at all Brian, probibly because i ran them all, but if you put 700bhp in any other performance car other than a supra you would probibly run a 10.

Just for the record I ran a 10.9 with 630bhp in my manual Supra.