The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Looks like my Carbon bonnet has died

DodgyRog

my carbon bootlid has done this. It has gone milky but when polished come up like bran new but then about a week or so later or when washed it goes back to the same state. it wouldnt bother me to much as i can always paint it but my APR rear wing has started to go down the same route

Seems to be quite a common problem after I did some research and no one seems to be able to give a definate cure

quick attempt

Cheers

Looks better without the trd spoiler for sure

I am still unsure on the spoiler side, but I think I am going to try Ibrar's lip and I can always go back to Trd, it's not like they are hard to take off and refit

IMO.

I would do the trd sides silver, spray the bonnet silver, is that mesh in the front vents? if so change that to black.

My last one had the sides colour coded, so that's definately an option, bonnets out of my hands so will be painted now and I had thought about the mesh, but need to ask ShellShocked wether to spray or replace them

Sorry to hear this rog.. i agree with raven.. spray the trd sides silver.. and the bonnet but spray the mesh in the vent holes black to match your front bumper lower lip bit.. will look awesome.

you get the picture of kinda what it will look like.

Just gave my bootlid and APR spoiler a good polish last night. Was out there for a good 2 and a half hours. It has came up like bran new but i know with in a week or 2 it will start to go back to how it was. It seams to be the only way to keep it looking good. I was thinking of getting it lackerd but from what I have red here I don't think it would be worth it.

One of my carbon trd blades is funny like this. The bodyshop tried polishing it when I dropped it off. By the time he got from one end to the other the end he started had already hazed over again.

They have flatted it all down and going to give it some clear coat. Will see how it comes up

The bodyshop I take my car too has recovered spoilers that this has happened to.

The process pretty much involved sanding right back down to the weave and then laquer is built up on it. - therefore removing the gelcoat which turns opaque.

My bonnet did the whole going opaque / milky thing, and you could leave a blob of water on it and it would go crystal clear where the the water was.

Thought it may have just been the uv topcoat with mine but i flatted my bonnet a fair amount, wet sadned and brought it back up only to have it start to revert in a few weeks.

There is an inherant risk obv associated with the "sand right down" approach as obv if you go through too far you get to the weave. But it can be done if the bodyshop are prepared to do it, apparently it can resolve the issue on a more perminant basis.

I had reverted to WD40 on a rag every week - removed all the opaque colour and lasted quite well.

Bonnet is painted now though

• 3 weeks later...

Well it's in having paint now, it's had the sealer primer and 1 coat of Silver, going down on Saturday for a test fit to line up for the new Aero Catches, holes will then be cut for them, then another couple of coats of paint and laquer.

I will try and get a pic or 2 on Saturday

Edited by DodgyRog (see edit history)

Had to cancel my run down to ShellShocked to test fit my bonnet as I have blown my Ankle again:rolleyes:

Got to try and get it sorted before the 13th Nov as I have been asked to take my Supra along for a Photoshoot with Totally Modified Mag.

I have a few things to sort before then and I am not supposed to be on my feet, really frustrated, just need to get out and start doing a few bits and can't, sods law it will rain for the next few weekends

Winters coming mate

I think a ferw of us are finding it hard to work on our cars.

Dont fret it will look ace when its done.

If it wasn't for the photoshoot I wouldn't worry at all, but I would really like to get it in a Mag and this is a Golden oportunity and I was asked personally to go along

Both side and Doors have been totally resprayed again since these photo's and with the extra layers of paint and laquer the Silver now has a real richnesss and depth

Even though I have a Silver Supra it's never been a colour I would have by choice, but since the Sides have been done again it just looks so much better even though it still needs the laquer flatening

Silver is a pain in the ass,

You can spend hours with clay and G3 ect and it will look more or less the same as when you started.

If i get another supra it will be red

I have a custom paint colour in mind if I ever get the luxury of a proper full respray

whens it going to be in a mag rog, im confused :O

Don't know when it will be in the mag mate or if, just doing a photoshoot for Totally Modified Mag, there will be a few cars, don't no exactly what and there is no guarantee of making the cut either