Toyota Sprint Series 2011 - General Banter

AlexM

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My advice to everyone who takes up sprinting is to do several track days first, and get the car capable of doing regular, *full on* 20 minute + circuit sessions without *ANY* mechanical, braking or handling issues. Once reliability is proven, then enter a sprint and it should laugh at a few laps with long respites in between. There is nothing worse than paying entry fees, travelling expenses and taking time off work to get somewhere and the car to give you grief or fail to run at all. Even worse to blow up, or put you in the barriers. Good luck, hope all goes well.

My advice to everyone who takes up sprinting is to do several track days first, and get the car capable of doing regular, *full on* 20 minute + circuit sessions without *ANY* mechanical, braking or handling issues. Once reliability is proven, then enter a sprint and it should laugh at a few laps with long respites in between. There is nothing worse than paying entry fees, travelling expenses and taking time off work to get somewhere and the car to give you grief or fail to run at all. Even worse to blow up, or put you in the barriers. Good luck, hope all goes well.

well with a combination of removing boost and adding timeing i actually have my ill car with terminal turbo running ok...ish. i think sheel last the day with no problems. .. then its a fresh engine as a treat for her.

i hear you have a supra to run dan? any further details on it ?

Good stuff mate, hope it holds out :)

Yeah i'm taking my stock NA for a play on the airfield :D its just a test day really to see how i think i'll go in my new motor. I have no competition in my class this year (F Street with the yaris) unfortunately, so i'm using woodbridge as a test day to see how i go with my supra out there. Lots of run off! :O

The car is bone stock- except for a horrible (well, not my cup of tea) set of fox alloys, its nothing to right home about and i dont expect to be competitive- i just wanna have fun, enjoy the car and see how i get on with it :)

You might have a chance against Scott, he's got almost half your horsepower!

I've received some magnetic vinyl from AEW graphics today, just need to make my stickers up and I'm pretty much ready. It doesn't look like my new tyres will arrive in time. :(

Against Scott? are you serious? he used to kick my ass when I had a 160 brake ST182 celica, its all chassis and grip that little 1.8 he has! don't expect to be anywhere near him alex!

nice one with the stickers, ballache of a job isn't it! took me a couple of hours to make mine up LOL

gutted about the tyres matey :( i'm on ditchfinders myself mate, so i feel your pain!

craig i'm sure the new engine will be worth the wait buddy even if you do have to run avons, hang in there bud :)

Craig came 6th in Class A1 Pro and 15th overall with a 2:23.230. I believe he suffered multiple problems (including a general lack of grip), but got quicker the less power he was running.

I came 4th in Class A3 Street and 21st overall with a 2:26.910. I struggled with the auto and found it very hard to stay on the second turbo but still had a lot of fun (my best run of the day was my second one, and went backwards afterwards!), a complete lack of sleep didn't help my chances.

Paul came 2nd in Class C Pro and 23rd overall with a 2:29.630. Paul improved steadily throughout the day with his best run being his last.

Dan came 3rd in Class C Street and 32nd overall with a 2:42.920. Something of a shakedown for Dan, with a completely different type of car to before, multiple watery problems and no pre-setup at all, he stopped after only the 3rd timed run but said he had a great time and seems to be converted.

Excel sheet has been typed up by myself from the results sheet handed out at the end of the day, apologies if there are any errors.

Photo nicked from Paul's Facebook wall. :D

242232_10150187720522126_530832125_7304167_7940756_o.jpg

TSS Woodbridge 2011 Results.xls

Edited by AlexM (see edit history)

another enjoyable day :) im a bit dissapointed at the time and result but fun none the less, im now considering entering my car in the bdc as it seems to love going sideways, lokks great but aint fast! but the poor old thing soldeired on though she was bleeding oil and getting progressively weeker and made it to the end..... 5 ltrs of oil later and buckets of smoke. finally time for the new engine :) just need to find some funds for fresh bushes a good geo and good tyres.

Guest PaulT

Great to see everybody again! Was a lot of fun on a challenging track! I need to sort out some stiffer suspension but very happy with the reliability of the nearly stock auto.

Paul.

Nice to meet craig and gareth, and see paul and alex again :)

My experience was certainly different! long and short of it for those who weren't there, i turned up and sprung a leak from the waterpump to head bypass pipe, and was in a bit of a pickle. Craig and Gareth turned up on the scene and basically saved my weekend- within half an hour, the offending item had been removed, cleaned, and replaced with new O rings (thanks to merlin motorsport for those) and I was ready in time for the sighting laps- amazing! if it wasn't for these guys i'd have been watching all day- i know i keep saying it but thanks again fellas, i'm still blown away that you helped me out so much :)

At lunchtime another leak small leak appeared, so i decided to call it a day after 2 sighting, 2 practice and 3 timed runs, but i experienced the supra on the track and that was the aim for the weekend :)

And the result- slow :lol: thats me though not the car. Despite this it was immense fun blasting a supra around a track for the first time! totally different car than i have tracked before, so it was good to learn :)

This was a one off appearance for my supra- I blew every penny (and more) I have just buying the car in the first place, so the plan was always to do the airfield track with plenty of run off in my supra then return to my class F street yaris for the remainder of the season.

I'd love to have the money to build a decent spec suspension, cage, bucket and harness to get the full supra experience- but I'm afraid costs simply wont allow! but you never know, if i can keep it long enough, it may happen, one day :) so that is my aim :)

Great day guys despite my problems- well done everyone, some good results there, and looking forward to seeing you all at round 3 :)

Some pics from the photgrapher there on the day:

Craig:

http://www.saidro.com/w_toyota/slides/IMG_8521.jpg

Alex:

http://www.saidro.com/w_toyota/slides/IMG_8745.jpg

Paul:

http://www.saidro.com/w_toyota/slides/IMG_8929.jpg

Some slow bloke bringing up the rear (oooerrr):

http://www.saidro.com/w_toyota/slides/IMG_8591.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Blyton was pretty good. Fantastic new tarmac surface this year, absolutely mint track really. But turning up with Runway Enduro tyres may not have been the best plan :D

Gutted to see your gearbox gave up, Craig. Hope things are better next time.

Paul.

• 6 months later...

dammit. is it still the tyre thing you mean Craig?

as alex said, the top classes have been shifted about quite a bit in my absence- adrian is not even running the GT4X now that mr milner isn't in, he's playing with his little suzuki swift sport instead at the moment.

cars which were destined for A1 are now in A2, but i'm not sure on the reasons as i dont understand turbos :( LOL