The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA-T misfire or revving problem

FOSTA

Have you checked that the ignition coil is O.K. and do you have the correct heat range spark plugs?

hey mate i havnt checked the coil yet as i need to order one from toyota but it was working perfect before i fitted the kit. but i sopose it could be braking down under boost.

i was told to fit the BKR7E PLUGS for tuning and i read somwhere i had to gap them to 0.30"

cheers ;-)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?41927-FAQ-Spark-plugs

TT/hybrids @ upto 1.3bar

NGK - BCPR7ES (3330) - gap 0.7mm

NGK - BKR7E (6097) - gap 0.7mm

NGK - BKR8E - gap to 0.7mm

NGK - BCR8ES (3330) - gap 0.7mm

NGK Iridium - BKR7EIX - leave gap alone

NGK Iridium - BKR8EIX - leave gap alone

Denso Platinum - PK20R8 - gap 0.7mm

Denso Iridium - IK22 - leave gap alone

Denso Iridium - IK24 - leave gap alone

Single Turbo/Big Twins @ upto 1.3bar

NGK - BCPR7ES (3330) - gap 0.7mm

NGK - BKR7E (6097) - gap 0.7mm

NGK - BKR8E - gap to 0.7mm

NGK Iridium - BKR7EIX/BKR8EIX - leave gap alone

Denso Iridium - IK24 - leave gap alone

rite here are the jumper settings in the manual for the e-manage. i will post up what mine are set like tomorrow when i have alook (my unit is brand new so should be set to the factory settings)

Jumper Chart

Jumper No................Signal Description............................OPEN.........................1 - 2...................2 - 3.................Factory Setting

JP1.................Injector Input / Output Signal CH-1.......IN /OUT................ Addition Only...............-...........................OPEN

JP2.................Injector Input / Output Signal CH-2.......IN /OUT.................Addition Only...............-...........................OPEN

JP3.................Injector Input / Output Signal CH-3.......IN /OUT.................Addition Only...............-...........................OPEN

JP4.................Injector Input / Output Signal CH-4.......IN /OUT.................Addition Only...............-...........................OPEN

JP5.................Injector Input / Output Signal CH-5.......IN /OUT.................Addition Only...............-...........................OPEN

JP6.................Injector Input / Output Signal CH-6.......IN /OUT.................Addition Only...............-...........................OPEN

JP7.................Ignition Input Signal...............................-..........................Normal..........Honda Distributor................1 - 2

JP8...................Ignition Output Signal.......................... -.............................5V.......................12V..........................1 - 2

JP9..................Airflow Signal Input / Output...............Normal..................Mazda Hot Wire............-..........................OPEN

JP10..........Airflow Signal Input 2 / VTEC Output.............-.......................GT-R RB26DETT.......VTEC OUT...................1 - 2

JP11.......................OPTION 1...................................Normal..............GReddy Temp Sensor........-..........................OPEN

JP12.......................OPTION 2...................................Normal..............GReddy Temp Sensor........-..........................OPEN

JP13.........Knock Signal Input 1 / Water Temp Input.....Normal.........................Pull up..................-..........................OPEN

JP14.........Knock Signal Input 2 / Intake Temp Input.....Normal.........................Pull up..................-..........................OPEN

JP15.................RPM Signal Input...................................-..........................Normal Input..........Coil (-).....................1 - 2

JP16...........Frequency Input / VTEC Input..................Karman IN....................VTEC IN.........VTEC IN (K20A).............OPEN

JP17...........Frequency Output / VTM Output..................VTM......................Karman Output...........-..........................1 - 2

JP18...........Injector Input / Output Signal CH1~6.........IN / OUT....................Addition Only............-..........................OPEN

JP19...........Injector Signal CH-A.............................I/J Addition........I/J, Sub I/J, NVCS, Relay(-)....-..........................1 - 2

JP20...........Injector Signal CH-B.............................I/J Addition........I/J, Sub I/J, NVCS, Relay(-)....-..........................1 - 2

Edited by FOSTA (see edit history)

so you defo have the leads right? from club na-t:

In order to run the T61 with a distributor on the GE motor you need to overcome the interference from the huge 4" inlet with the distributor cap. In the old days we'd weld on a companion flange and that would solve the problem. In the old days, that cost money, time and reliability. Today, thanks to the efforts and ingenuity of the ClubNA-T crowd, we now know that the best way to run the T61 is with a 4Runner distributor cap!

You will need a 4Runner distributor cap. Specifically toyota PN 19101-65040. 92+ 4Runner V6 distributor cap. This allows you to use your stock wires and rotor. You can also use the pre-92 4Runner cap but it has different sockets which means you will need to make your own wires - not a bad thing at all, but something to be aware of when shopping. Running the Pre-92 cap means you need to make all 6 wires. Running the 92+ cap means you will need to order a single 2JZ-GE #2 cyl plug wire. That wire will replace your current #1 plug wire which will not reach it's intended plug.

you can order these parts at any toyota dealer or:

http://www.drivewire.com/toyotaparts...pandrotor.html

Installation is simple. First, remove your stock cap (3 screws). Take a moment to inspect your rotor and replace it with another stock 2JZ-GE rotor if its burnt up. Install the new cap as shown, using only two fasteners. You can run only 2 fasteners or you can drill and tap the third fastener hole. I suggest running three but no problems have been reported just running two. If you do install the third fastener be sure to clean up any chips from drilling/tapping when done.

Once the cap is installed - run your custom (pre-92 cap) or stock GE (92+ cap) wires to the cap. Install them in this order:

W=the # on the wire D= the # on the 4Runner cap

W1 - D5

W2 - D1

W3 - D3

W4 - D6

W5 - D4

W6 - D2

The order is different because the 4Runner is a V6. You may want to write the numbers on the cap with a sharpie so if you service the car later, you don't have to worry about which wire goes where.

You will need to change your #1 plug wire. Go to toyota and order only the #2 spark plug wire as it has the added length you will need. Install that wire and you are all set.

Plug in the distributor and set the timing using a timing light to 10 degrees btdc per the FSM.

use a paper clip or wire and jump terminals E1 and TE in the diagnostic port in the back of the engine bay. Attach the timing light to plug wire #1 and aim at the crank pulley if it is lighting up the timing mark at 10degrees before TDC your good. To adjust the timing loosen the bolt holding the distributor flange to the head and rotate to adjust timing.

when you say checked the leads you know when you use the 4 runner the numbers on the cap dont match up with the supra engine right?

yeah it goes like this:

W=the # on the wire D= the # on the 4Runner cap

W1 - D5

W2 - D1

W3 - D3

W4 - D6

W5 - D4

W6 - D2