The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rant....My first ever proper rant, I am so.........

DodgyRog

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you mean? That they told Rob that they were going to do a bodge job to get the colour match right and whether he was ok with that?

No, I mean that they probably mentioned something along the lines of we can only guarantee the work for 4-6 months, etc. I had that mentioned to me when I had some work done on an Astra GTE I had once. They knew the rust would come through again, but not at least for a few months, but was outside of the time mentioned. I just hope it wasn't the same for him.

No, I mean that they probably mentioned something along the lines of we can only guarantee the work for 4-6 months, etc. I had that mentioned to me when I had some work done on an Astra GTE I had once. They knew the rust would come through again, but not at least for a few months, but was outside of the time mentioned. I just hope it wasn't the same for him.

if a bodyshop can stop rust they would be millionaires, we say the same when rust is involved but its not the case here

if a bodyshop can stop rust they would be millionaires, we say the same when rust is involved but its not the case here.

Yes, this lot are just incompetent by the looks of it.

I was told they welded new pieces of metal into the rusted areas, prepped and protected it before repainting. You know what? They lied! They just filled and sprayed over the top. Once the top coat's on, it looks great - for a while.

No, I mean that they probably mentioned something along the lines of we can only guarantee the work for 4-6 months, etc

Yes, they definately would have told him the length of gaurantee, but that should only be applicable on work that is done correctly. If it's been fudged badly and it's provable, then Rob should be in a good position to get something sorted.

we dont offer no warranty

So you do offer a warranty then :innocent:

if a bodyshop can stop rust they would be millionaires, we say the same when rust is involved but its not the case here

Surely if the bodyshop removes the area of rust and replaces the holes then that would be rust issue resolved? I would not expect it to come back.

I was told they welded new pieces of metal into the rusted areas, prepped and protected it before repainting. You know what? They lied! They just filled and sprayed over the top. Once the top coat's on, it looks great - for a while.

Well that's a prime example of mal-practice.

Surely if the bodyshop removes the area of rust and replaces the holes then that would be rust issue resolved? I would not expect it to come back.
Rust is rust, it will come back if an area is fragile to rust.

Example in an FTO I had, the inners side (either side when you lift up the bonnet) had rust issue and dispute welding in new metal plates rust would come back as that area was prone to rust. I believe in this case it is due to the drainage of the water, and as you know water, moisture, metal & salt don't really go well together.

the only way to eliminate rust would be to replace the panel, if you cut the rust out and weld in plates there is still a chance of rust re appearing after many months or years.... sometimes never but you have to warn the customer of the risks.

the only way to eliminate rust would be to replace the panel, if you cut the rust out and weld in plates there is still a chance of rust re appearing after many months or years.... sometimes never but you have to warn the customer of the risks.

If I had an area of rust - say 2 inches in diameter - and a bodyshop cut out a large area around it and they welded in a new panel, re-sprayed it to seal it in then unless water gets through the paint (say a crack) then that rust shouldn't come back.

If I had an area of rust - say 2 inches in diameter - and a bodyshop cut out a large area around it and they welded in a new panel, re-sprayed it to seal it in then unless water gets through the paint (say a crack) then that rust shouldn't come back.

but it might come back elsewhere on the panel or around the repair, as i have said if anyone can get rid of rust for good they would be millionaires.

but it might come back elsewhere on the panel or around the repair, as i have said if anyone can get rid of rust for good they would be millionaires.

Fair do's :) I guess the only true way to avoid rust completely is to use a non-reactive material. Brass cars for the win!

Anybody had any dealings with these people on Ebay,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260722066970&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

if I have to respray, might as well go the whole hog, not sure where the moneys going to come from, but might as well start planing.

Got a Trd front sat in the consevatory as well, waiting for fitting, prep and paint