The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TSS sprint setup

dr_jekyll

I managed to convince a breaker in Chicago to sell me the crown wheel and pinion from a US spec SC300, they have a 4.273 final drive ratio which is the shortest ratio Toyota make for the Supra family of diffs as far as I know. I have it fitted to my NA torsen diff and it works a treat, it should be fun at drag meets and even around Mondello with the 1JZ driving it, top speed will be 150mph tops!

The only reason it worked out for me though was because I had a mate visiting relatives in New York at the time, the parts were shipped from the breakers to where he was staying and he very kindly brought them home for me in his luggage, all I had to pay was the excess luggage charge for the extra bag.

Other than that the cost of shipping a lump like that from the States would've been prohibitive.

The shorter 4.083 ratio from a J-spec NA diff should greatly improve things if you are currently running a turbo diff though, and if it's a J-spec turbo diff (small casing) I'm sure you can actually bolt the crownwheel and pinion straight on to the LSD if thats what you are trying to keep.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I managed to convince a breaker in Chicago to sell me the crown wheel and pinion from a US spec SC300, they have a 4.273 final drive ratio which is the shortest ratio Toyota make for the Supra family of diffs as far as I know. I have it fitted to my NA torsen diff and it works a treat, it should be fun at drag meets and even around Mondello with the 1JZ driving it, top speed will be 150mph tops!

The only reason it worked out for me though was because I had a mate visiting relatives in New York at the time, the parts were shipped from the breakers to where he was staying and he very kindly brought them home for me in his luggage, all I had to pay was the excess luggage charge for the extra bag.

Other than that the cost of shipping a lump like that from the States would've been prohibitive.

The shorter 4.083 ratio from a J-spec NA diff should greatly improve things if you are currently running a turbo diff though, and if it's a J-spec turbo diff (small casing) I'm sure you can actually bolt the crownwheel and pinion straight on to the LSD if thats what you are trying to keep.

so i can take the final drive from my na open diff and put it in my lsd so i will have the rite ratio but keep the lsd ?

so i can take the final drive from my na open diff and put it in my lsd so i will have the rite ratio but keep the lsd ?

IF the TT and the NA diff cases you have are the same size then yes I think its possible to do so as the crownwheel has the same overall dimensions and mounting points in both.

I'm not sure what is needed to make the pinion, flange and whatever driveshaft you are planning on using fit together, if it's a complete NA driveshaft then there should be no problems there.

This is all a bit of an uneducated guess though Craig, I've had absolutely no dealings with any TT diffs, you'll really need to confirm all this theory before you get your hopes up mate.

Well if you can get the particulars of the diff or of the crownwheel and pinion that is in the diff now from somewhere we can compare the dimensions and mounting points to the 4.083 crownwheel and pinion I have here. That will save you some time stripping diffs if it's not going to work.

that looks fun :s, a post for the na lsd in the wanted section could be less taxing :)

But not as much fun!

In fairness if I could have gotten the whole diff from the States instead of just the crownwheel and pinion I never would've needed to do the swap into my own diff case.

So if you think you can get a complete diff for money you are willing to part with I'd go that route alright.

Or maybe someone going NA-TT would swap with you for yours.