The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The definative running without a BOV thread

Swampy442

What I want :- real world experiences from single turbo owners running without BOVs, good and bad, mileages covered before failure or just mileages covered.

What I dont want :- "oooh you dont wanna do that" "my mate did that and his turbine literally flew out of his turbo and killed him. Stone dead. True story" "heres a link to...." "some guy in Kazahkstan has run a T99 without one for 40 years and no problems"

Thanks in advance :D

I'm running a PHR street kit without a BOV. I like the sound. I've covered approximately 14,000 miles since my single conversion over a combined period of 10 months in the last 2 years. This is split approximately 50:50 between slow urban commuting and spirited motorway driving.

The turbo still works. :)

Mine ran without BOV for 15000 km (lots of highway and urban driving, but plenty of WOT pulls :p) without a problem. As I've noted, all of my friends with single turbos run without BOVs on 67+ mm turbos on 20+ psi boost - driven hard and no related problems that I've heard over 3 years.

Guest initial_j

as with all these internet myths. the people that think there dangerous you will find 99 percent have "heard" its bad for a turbo

the people who realise its bollocks all base their opinions on fact and experience

ive personaly built and run a hell of a lot of turbod cars, and always remove and block dump valves. no problems to report here.

and if you want DEFINITIVE proof, how many turbo charged race cars run dump valves?

answer= none.

think id take advice from people that do it for a living instead of people who read something once on a forum

as with all these internet myths. the people that think there dangerous you will find 99 percent have "heard" its bad for a turbo

the people who realise its bollocks all base their opinions on fact and experience

ive personaly built and run a hell of a lot of turbod cars, and always remove and block dump valves. no problems to report here.

and if you want DEFINITIVE proof, how many turbo charged race cars run dump valves?

answer= none.

think id take advice from people that do it for a living instead of people who read something once on a forum

So the folks at Toyota were a bunch of c*cks for fitting a BOV in the first place?

Guest initial_j

no. it was built as a road car with engines built around emmisions and fuel consumption/noise reduction

RACE cars are built for speed and performance. so decide what you want.

the question is will it cause damage. the answer is no. this is based on a lot of personal experience from cars ive had and cars friends of mine have had.

if you have some experience evidence to suggest otherwise, suggest you share it? as answering with a question about what toyota designed 20 years ago is not that.

Edited by initial_j (see edit history)

Cheers Andy :D My turbo is in the throws of needing a rebuild so might get it done and run BOVless afterwards. Or just bolt on the stunt T04R and cane it lol

Well, I always vote for caning it :D

Although, if you have a bit of spare cash you could snap up Miko's brand spankers billet?

I have not run a BOV on any turbo engine of mine for many many years and have never found the turbo either fails, nor wears prematurely as a result. Lag is unchanged, maybe even reduced without a BOV. My opinion is shared by Turbo Dynamics and by Geoff Kershaw who owned Turbo Technics, as well as by Ken Brittain late of Brodie Brittain Racing, who are two of the countries leading experts on turbos. http://www.morego.co.uk/bbr-gti/two_bs.php A "BOV" was simply used to stop turbo noises when suddenly closing the throttle, the noise was thought to be sufficient to annoy or worry early turbo car customers. It wasn't designed to increase turbo life, nor to reduce lag.

Guest initial_j
I have not run a BOV on any turbo engine of mine for many many years and have never found the turbo either fails, nor wears prematurely as a result. Lag is unchanged, maybe even reduced without a BOV. My opinion is shared by Turbo Dynamics and by Geoff Kershaw who owned Turbo Technics, as well as by Ken Brittain late of Brodie Brittain Racing, who are two of the countries leading experts on turbos. http://www.morego.co.uk/bbr-gti/two_bs.php A "BOV" was simply used to stop turbo noises when suddenly closing the throttle, the noise was thought to be sufficient to annoy or worry early turbo car customers. It wasn't designed to increase turbo life, nor to reduce lag.

exactly.

however theyll be hundreds disagreeing because "they read on the internet there bad"