JamieP

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Go for it Jamie!

A T6 setup can be a great one for the road and track.

With the right wastegate setup, boost control is excellent and you can get a nice powerband for the street.

An 88 on a 3.0 may be a little laggy in comparison to a 3.4, but the top end power is immense on these T6 GT47's....

The 3.4's are extremely reliable when built using the right components and with the right tolerances.

These engines take alot of wear and tear on the bearings, and the oiling modifications needed to minimise bearing stress and wear is overlooked quite often.

As long as the right bearing and clearance combination is used the motor should last a long and hard time.

If you use a 3.4 billet crank an even longer life will be seen since the crank won't bend/flex under heavy loads.

I wouldn't be put off the 3.4 for reliability issues at all.

The 3.0/88 combination was used for a long time on street by a guy named Jon Pratkanis.

If you look under his name he has shed loads of youtube video's with his street racing, and he got great results with it, but a 3.4/80 combination was a better all-round combo for the street.

Jamie Carter ran this and they had some very good comparison runs, with the 3.4/80 combo coming out on top each time.

Personally I'm keeping the 80 for the street and a 55/91 for the strip/mile. You get the best of both worlds and it's just a turbo swap to get there.

It's best keeping these setups simple as well imo, so 12 injectors etc is just complicating issues.

I'm gonna get a tune for E85 when the car gets here on the 80, as well as the VP stuff. The E85 is pretty accessible from other companies and they normally do next day delivery on this stuff. I used to get Methanol for my Subaru and just kept a stockpile so I would never be waiting for it to arrive.

I'm not sure if the Syvecs offers the flex sensor option for the E85, but if it does it's well worth getting and using. You already have the right injectors for it, and the car would be an awesome setup for road and any 1/4/1 mile events.

Here's a vid of Jamie Carter's 3.4/80 against a turbo Hyabusa and against JP's 3.0/88 setup:

Hyabusa vs 3.4

Jamie (3.4/80) vs Jon (3.0/88)

Jon changed it to a 3.4 after his engine blew during racing. His car is still one of the fastest street supra's out there.

How about a flight over to the US for a few spins in a couple of SF member's cars to get a real feel for the pump fuel performance. You could tie it in with some Xmas shopping and if it puts you off the T6 route then it's money well spent :D

You can have a go in mine shortly;)

There's only one way you'll ever know if it's going to be overkill for you, and it's what you've been doing already; suck it and see. Better to do it and regret it than always wishing you had ;)

$8000 is a lot of money to spend to find out i dont like it:d

I will go T6, just might leave it another summer, i got a lot going on with the car this winter.

$8000 is a lot of money to spend to find out i dont like it:d

Sorry, you can't pull that card with the amount you spend playing with cars:p :D

It's not permanent and you can sell it on if it's not for you. At least you will have quenched the niggle that you haven't seemed to be able to shake off so far.:eyebrows:

Saying that it might be just as easy to go with a 12 injector setup and another 20 litre fuel tank in the boot with race fuel in it, the 6 injectors with race fuel just kick in at high boost, all cruising done on pump fuel.

Plenty to think about.

If you are going to go to that trouble what about gas mate? LPG is its own self contained system with its own injectors and control etc. Two massive great vapourisers would provide enough fuel. LPG is already like 102 RON and is a very cold fuel. You run the car daily on gas and when you want a sh*t load of oomph the gas kit cuts out automatically and whacks in your race gas.

Just a thought.

I like this kit, Twin gate and 5" downpipe/midpipe, i think that turbo is bigger than the 47-88 though.

http://www.full-race.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1762&osCsid=jhtmtr92t20nit756njkhni4h1

The FR kit is a nice kit to go for, expensive though.

The Turbo is the 47-88r, just another name for it.

Twin gates would be the only way to go for a T6, I run mine with a VWR setup.

Cheers guys, i think i will wait a while yet, see what happens with these 3.4's and do some more research on the T6 setup, id want a twin wastegate T6 setup, i am going to do it soon enough.

do you think jamie that on a t6 setup you will be able to enjoy events more. as in yes you'll be tearing up suprapod but what about track days etc.????

will the car drive and preform like it should? im a lil worried at the maaahoooosive turbo!

i mean if you dont like the new setup you can always go back to your previous turbo setup.

honestly speaking a 1000hp car for the UK streets is a bit much, but needless to say if i could i would! in the states you have huge flat roads, here we have speed humps and pot holes! i think you should make a masterpiece mental road car out of the black sup and not a car that shows tonnes of power but drives like crap, isnt worth the risk IMO, so far that car has done you proud.

have you ever considered jamie building a car yourself like a caterham or kit car etc. it will keep you really busy and wont cost the earth :D (i thik you should consider it)

What I can't understand, with respect, is with the sort of budgets mentioned above, you are looking at a big block Chevy N/A engine? If the car is to be street driven with occasional drag strip runs a properly built on management old school 8 litre alloy jobbie seems a far more suitable power plant than a ragged to the limit stroker straight six with turbo lag.