BIG BHP from Hybrid twins

swandip

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll call it how I see it - until a hybrid twinned car posts a higher terminal speed than I managed with stock set of JDM ceramics (121 MPH) at a paltry 1.1bar I'd say hybrids ain't worth the outlay or hassle and that the more power / performance argument doesn't really stand.

Winding the boost up isn't the answer IMO as you're into generating more and more heat for a diminishing gain.

Save yourself the money and hassle (very high failure rate considered) and go small single if you want more power / are in the replacement turbo market or just bolt on another set of stockers in decent nick.

These CR turbos hybrids seem to be getting good reviews from what I've read but I wouldn't say they're going to be revolutionary in real world performance terms vs. stockers.

Cheers,

Brian.

I'll call it how I see it - until a hybrid twinned car posts a higher terminal speed than I managed with stock set of JDM ceramics (121 MPH) at a paltry 1.1bar I'd say hybrids ain't worth the outlay or hassle and that the more power / performance argument doesn't really stand.

Winding the boost up isn't the answer IMO as you're into generating more and more heat for a diminishing gain.

Save yourself the money and hassle (very high failure rate considered) and go small single if you want more power / are in the replacement turbo market or just bolt on another set of stockers in decent nick.

These CR turbos hybrids seem to be getting good reviews from what I've read but I wouldn't say they're going to be revolutionary in real world performance terms vs. stockers.

Cheers,

Brian.

It wasnt done really as a performance thing dude, CR offer no warranty on any ceramic turbo whereas they offer a year if they use metal turbines, James wanted a warranty and these were allready hybridised so he bought them and had them refurbed, he just wants a nice reliable stock car that won't embarass itself on the road. He was going to buy Ernies car but wasn't that impressed by the 'single' experience.

I'm also running CR turbo hybrids. I can't see that enough of the design has changed though to make them flow more efficiently at higher boost. The manifold that the turbos bolt too is still the same tiny holed restrictive self that it started off with, so I'm guessing you're just going to get a lot of hot air at higher boost pressures.

If the turbo manifold is so restrictive is there no way to have one fabricated that would allow the turbos to work at higher boost without generating too much heat?

If the turbo manifold is so restrictive is there no way to have one fabricated that would allow the turbos to work at higher boost without generating too much heat?

Anything is possible if you spend enough but why bother? a modern small single will murder stock or hybrid twins for spool and power and will be more reliable if built right.

Have a look at Ryans dyno page, even my big old 76 out spools hybrids.

This is not a pop at swandip or dude, dude has been asked to build a 500bhp stock twin based car and looks he has done a superb job of what he has been asked:)

There are a few ways of getting rid of heat;) but i think these are about the limit for stock based turbos, I would always prefer single but these are a cheap alternative.

Guys before going for more boost i would say put an egt gauge in cylinder number six!!! Its why i always stop around 1.3bar on Hybrid TT units and map them at 11:1 as i have seen over 1050c on hybrids at 11:1 at 1.4bar and pulled it back!!

I dont doubt the power one bit just i worry that it will det its nuts off on the road with egts this high!

Guys before going for more boost i would say put an egt gauge in cylinder number six!!! Its why i always stop around 1.3bar on Hybrid TT units and map them at 11:1 as i have seen over 1050c on hybrids at 11:1 at 1.4bar and pulled it back!!

I dont doubt the power one bit just i worry that it will det its nuts off on the road with egts this high!

Agreed the higher boost is just for those rare occasions;)

James isnt a guages kinda guy, but we may need to get something in there.

Anyway the finish of mods so far is, keeping the dyno in the same mode with temp correction in place 516 hp and removing to probe to bring it more in line 476 and I know for a fact this is not reading high, the car feels the nuts on the road and ive driven singles less pokey than this.

P1000660.JPG

P1000661.JPG

P1000663.JPG

Over 500bhp from hybrids is outrageous mate, definitely the highest I've ever heard of.

I need stand alone fuel management next me thinks :D

Don't forget that was in shootout mode with the temp correction, we did that because thats how we started the dyno session, most of the other cars to compare to have been dynoed with the probe outside of the engine bay, when we replicated that we had a final figure of 475. What I will say was on the road test we had a slight 'overboost'problem and it was running 1.8 bar, Matt was next to me with laptop and det cans, it pulled rather well with no det but no doubt the EGT's would have risen with prolonged use