The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Would a GT4 be a step down?

The Raven

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to have a ST185. Brilliant car, but it's horses for courses.

I would say the handling was quite a bit better than the Supra, so on anything twisty I had much more confidence in the GT4 and probably as a result pushed the car harder and faster than I would the Supra.

However, obviously on anything midly straight, you'd just end up caining past the GT4 in a TT. NA would be a different story. Given the choice of a NA or a Carlos Sainz, I'd take the GT4 anyday.

Am not overly keen on the ST205 though.

Just stick it on a 0% credit card for 12 months and be done with it, pay it back over a year and you will have the car you want!

Would a man with 4 credit cards slowly filling up give you bad advice ? :D

He can only do that if it's being sold by a dealer who takes credit cards, which leaves out pretty much all private sales. A cash advance on a credit card will incur interest from day 1. ;)

having been a tt supra and single supra and now a gt4 owner take it from me that the gt4 is an awesome lil car. its a pocket rocket and is too under estimated. gt4 vs n/a the gt4 will white wash it all day long. my gt4 will keep witha tt sup in the early gears but then the torque of the sup really shows. its so fun to drive and a few members here have seen me chuck mine about, its a proper laugh.

They're different cars for different things. A GT4 will be quicker on B roads if everything else was equal, but the Supra wins on all-out speed. I'd love a proper rally-spec GT4 one day just for a laugh. Think I'd probably buy an EsCos first though.

had a GT4 WRC years ago, the ST205 model, was a superb car and it was quicker than MANY a supra at Crail or Knockhill. I wouldnt say its a step down, just - a step on a different path!

Good points. I like the ST205 shape a lot*. I thought they were solid, reliable cars (albeit with expensive suspension requirements), but I have no first-hand experience of them. A chap in my road has recently bought one: I gaze wistfully at it as I cycle past.

* Then again I think the RX7 looks like a bag of spanners, which goes against the grain on here. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :)

I hate the N/A engine with a passion now.

Why? :(

Saying that, I've owned the WRC ST205 before as well. I really like the handling but beware of the "figure 8s". Could be costly if they are knackered.

As previously mentioned, I would go for a low mileage and newest example. I think they are awesome and can be driven hard anytime you wish. It's cheaper to run and mod but then again it's a different league with the TT Supra.

If I have the funds I would go for the late model with projector headlights... like this one:

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/2823/223/32055111089_large.jpg

Why? :(

Saying that, I've owned the WRC ST205 before as well. I really like the handling but beware of the "figure 8s". Could be costly if they are knackered.

As previously mentioned, I would go for a low mileage and newest example. I think they are awesome and can be driven hard anytime you wish. It's cheaper to run and mod but then again it's a different league with the TT Supra.

If I have the funds I would go for the late model with projector headlights... like this one:

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/2823/223/32055111089_large.jpg

I hate it because its

1. Slow.

2. Un tuneable without throwing huge amounts of money at it.

3. Its not even worth changing the cam belt as a new engine costs less than work needed to fit one!

Mostly its lack of power.

I hate it because its

1. Slow.

2. Un tuneable without throwing huge amounts of money at it.

3. Its not even worth changing the cam belt as a new engine costs less than work needed to fit one!

Mostly its lack of power.

Hmmm, true to an extent. If its an auto I guess its a bit lacking on the performance side but a manual is still exciting.

You are saving a lot on maintanence compared to a tubby but still get the looks!

Although I do agree that TT should be pretty fun to have a go in. If only they do AWD versions lol.

Why not sell yours and get a TT then? :p Or transplant? I see VVTi engines going for around 1.2k.

edit: If you are really yearning for a TT Supe then I would advise saving towards that goal. Had a GT4 and although its nippy and all it really "felt" different to my Supra (even though it was an N/A :p)

Mate, it's all relative.

I have an NA because I don't want a TT... I use it daily and a TT would just end up being too much of a temptation to turn every work journey into a race with anything worthy. I'm more interested in aesthetics with the car and the NA power is enough for me (once I've replaced the exhaust system end of the month).

If I wanted more power, I'd sell the NA and buy a TT BPU'd, or a small single. I suggest you do the same. I've owned an ST205 and I much prefer the NA Sup, despite it being a little slower.

You need to go with what you want though. See if you can find an ST205 owner on here nearby who can give you a spin?

Indeedy.

If im honest i should never have sold the UK spec. However the cash was to much. The story is as follows.

Sold the UK TT for 8k cash. The money was earmarked for my aero top project. Which started well when i picked up the castrol disaster for a mere £1400 so im thinking TT 6 speed and some body mods. Life was grand.

However i needed a new machine for my work that just so happened to retail at 6k. So i did what most new fathers would do and put my company before my car and brought the machine. (a Funny note is the machine has 2 blowing turbines that look like huge ass single turbos, a fact that still make me laugh when i see them, as i now refer to it as my twin turbo)

So i started on the build thread. http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=182390&highlight=aero+top.

I brought the kit bit by bit. Did things slowly when cash allowed. Now however i have come to an impass. The engine can not be done bit by bit its an all or nothing. I find myself playing with bits on the car for something to do. When in fact the body styling is about spot on. Once the boot build is done there is nothing left to do but get the power i want back so badly.

Ok.......i feel better now...........Any one got a GT4 buzzing around kent i can go for a spin in?

dude were abouts in kent are you? i may be down not tooo far away from there tonight, more than welcome to thrash mine for a bit :)

Way down south east mate.

Unless you are heading to canterbury i wont be anywhere near you.

I have just seen the import place down the road has one. So i might take a little trip to dover and get a test drive.

Personally I think a GT4 turbo is a nightmare to work on. Having said that I used to see one on northern track days that was quite obscenely fast. The bloke who drove it was a good pedaller, but nonetheless, this thing was awesome, especially in the wet where it's traction showed. Doubtless it had had a LOT spent on it, it had all rose jointed suspension and had a lot of grunt from what was obviously a far from stock engine.

As a stock car they are pretty heavy, and if you have to pay someone to work on it you may find the relative simplicity of 2WD and a longitudinal engine in a huge engine bay (Supra....) has distinct labour advantages.

If you want to go fast cheaply a TT Supra **bought at the right price** takes some betaing. An FD model RX-7 is also cheap and rapid, but engines don't come much more fragile.

Personally I think a GT4 turbo is a nightmare to work on. Having said that I used to see one on northern track days that was quite obscenely fast. The bloke who drove it was a good pedaller, but nonetheless, this thing was awesome, especially in the wet where it's traction showed. Doubtless it had had a LOT spent on it, it had all rose jointed suspension and had a lot of grunt from what was obviously a far from stock engine.

As a stock car they are pretty heavy, and if you have to pay someone to work on it you may find the relative simplicity of 2WD and a longitudinal engine in a huge engine bay (Supra....) has distinct labour advantages.

If you want to go fast cheaply a TT Supra **bought at the right price** takes some betaing. An FD model RX-7 is also cheap and rapid, but engines don't come much more fragile.

your not wrong there chris, when we had to fit the clutch ow what a joy that was, heres a list of everything we took off:- the exhaust, the props, the front sump guard, the front roll bar thing, the drive shafts, the engine had to be loosened and tilted, the transfer box, the diff, the gearbox and hey presto, 4.5 hours after starting and using a damn ramp we got to the clutch!

only the engine work is a nightmare lol

Johnny Milner by any chance?

Doubt there are many Supras that could keep up with this on track ;)

Nope, a red road registered car, no cage, looked very ordinary until you looked closely. Just very well sorted with a good dose of power.

That Roger Wills gets everywhere, he's a great all rounder and very amusing to boot. Would like to know what he does, as money doesn't seem any sort of obstacle to him whatsoever ;)

I have both and they are totally different beast, the St205 always put a smile on my face, performance takes a lot to beat around the twisty roads, stacks more confidence in the wet.As most people stated they are a pita to work on but in general the 3sgte is a pretty strong engine, in saying that recently i had to rebuild it, compression was down on one cylinder. I had a TT GTO but much prefer my ST205

The ST205 GT4 is a great car IMO.

Build quality is exactly the same as the Supra, its just the figure 8's go at 60-70k miles and cost about 1k to supply and fit. You can get cheaper if you shop around.

As a daily car, I'd have a GT4 over an NA Supra every day of the week.

As lots of people say on here they are two very different cars to do two very different things :)

Have to say if a Carlos Sainz Gen 5 came up for sale it would be one I would add to my collection. Probably not comparible to a Supra but good quality cars. My first import was a gen 5 NA and I thought it was brilliant. Afterall it introduced me to the world of japanese imports :D