The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Big single auto .... with or without Hi Stall?

Jamesy

hi mig not done owt with anything been stood years front end needs sorting and bought house so money been into other things,

went off it for a long time just starting to get back into it.be good to just be up and running on stock turbos.

stripeed all interior out.good to see you still about.

did you fit the th400 and whats it like to install.did u have to do much modding.

cant remember is it a th400 reverse shift pattern with transbrake

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to hear you've found the Supra love again. You'll have to massage the nearside passenger footwell/tunnel ever so slightly in order to give enough clearance for the selector shaft on the box. Other than that, and the hole you'll need to make for the shifter cable, there isn't too much messing with the body. What I supplied you with, along with the few changes I made, should see a pretty easy install with minimal modding. The shift is indeed reverse pattern ( pull back to go up gears) with Trans-brake. The Trans-brake is also your reverse gear - select neutral and switch Trans-brake on. Normal operation of the Trans-brake is achieved by selecting first gear, taking up the slack on the drivetrain and activating the Trans-brake solenoid.

If you get stuck drop me a PM and I'll try and remember what's what.:)

You should have a dipstick, a Lokar one. Wiring diagrams for the speedo were in the box, but I'll have a look around to see if I can find anything more specific for you ( my memory isn't that good;) ). The only other wiring is the reverse light switch, which you splice into the original Supra gearbox selector reverse circuit, and the Trans-brake solenoid, which is a simple fused power and earth relay circuit ( make sure to run a warning light so you know when it's activated). It's then up to you how you want to run the extra coolers and fans I threw in, I would recommend thermostated and in good airflow. There are loads of aftermarket oil-pans for the TH400 ( I can't comment if they all fit) but I think the stock pan was roughly 4 litres with it being closer to 10~12 to fill entirely. I believe BL also do their own deep pan one that will definitely fit, so it might be worth asking Zohair on that front.

HTH