The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Big single auto .... with or without Hi Stall?

Jamesy

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When spending over 10k on a single conversion,I would thing 4k for a box that can handle the output quite reasonable.

What about a 8 speed ZF out of a BMW 760 (Twin Turbo V12) that handles nearly 600 bhp and 500 lbs/ft stock :D

If that'd fit, I'd be doing an auto conversion!

When spending over 10k on a single conversion,I would thing 4k for a box that can handle the output quite reasonable.

What about a 8 speed ZF out of a BMW 760 (Twin Turbo V12) that handles nearly 600 bhp and 500 lbs/ft stock :D

The 722.6 (W5A900 or W5A1000) used in the V12 Benzos would make and interesting choice too. A torque rating of 900-1000nm should cover most peoples needs.

Edited by Miguel (see edit history)

• 4 months later...

Ok just revisiting this issue again - will it REALLY make alot of difference to the power if i had a stock TC fitted?

I know it would appear to be a bit more laggy but my turbo cvomes in so fast, and so hard, would it really be majorly noticeable?

For the 1 or 2 days of drag racing i'll be doing a year compared to driving around in it most days of the year im wondering if the hi stall is worthwhile.

Ok just revisiting this issue again - will it REALLY make alot of difference to the power if i had a stock TC fitted?

I know it would appear to be a bit more laggy but my turbo cvomes in so fast, and so hard, would it really be majorly noticeable?

For the 1 or 2 days of drag racing i'll be doing a year compared to driving around in it most days of the year im wondering if the hi stall is worthwhile.

What stall do you have fitted just now? Why not go for a lower stall TC? Maybe meet in the middle of where you are and stock?

Stock stall is around 2750, real men drive stick anyway !!!!!!!!!!!!!:eyebrows:;):rolleyes:

:D have u learnt ti drive that stick yet fella!!?!! :innocent:

Would the stock stall actually bog it down 'that' much? 2750 and my turbo is on full chat about 3400 so doesnt seem like it'd make it laggy?

3200 is where you want it in that case Jamesy. You will lose a bit of off the line oomph but at least it will feel a little easier round town :)

Yeah maybe, not sure how big a 'noticeable' difference would make though

:D have u learnt ti drive that stick yet fella!!?!! :innocent:

Would the stock stall actually bog it down 'that' much? 2750 and my turbo is on full chat about 3400 so doesnt seem like it'd make it laggy?

Yeah maybe, not sure how big a 'noticeable' difference would make though

It will make 600rpm of a noticeable difference... surely?

If your car is on full chat at 3400rpm then you will only have to wait 200rpm on the boost coming online full. Should make for a nice drive IMO.

It will make 600rpm of a noticeable difference... surely?

If your car is on full chat at 3400rpm then you will only have to wait 200rpm on the boost coming online full. Should make for a nice drive IMO.

Yeha 600rpm is a fair difference, although my views on how to best play this are double sided:

one side is how quick i can get into full boost range in which case the 3200 or 3800 are ideal.

The other side is the everyday driving side when you dont even want it on full boost but want to drive to work, or to the shops and want to be able to feel the revs building slowly not slipping up to 3800rpm!!

Yeha 600rpm is a fair difference, although my views on how to best play this are double sided:

one side is how quick i can get into full boost range in which case the 3200 or 3800 are ideal.

The other side is the everyday driving side when you dont even want it on full boost but want to drive to work, or to the shops and want to be able to feel the revs building slowly not slipping up to 3800rpm!!

Does stock slip up to 2750rpm? The auto I drove didn't, it would only slip that far on the likes of a steep hill or when power braking. I thought a 3200 stall would be ideal, only 200 off of full chat so you can build boost easier and it will take hold when pootling 600rpm before the 3800.

You are only going to be loosing out on 450rpm vs stock for pootling around, but at the same time you are going to be 450rpm in front of stock for when you want to let loose.

If you want to go back to stock then go for it, the only real difference will be that you won't be building any boost on the line. If you powerbrake you are still going to be slow off the line as you will need to wait till the revs get up above 3krpm before anything is going to happen. At least with the 3200 you will be able to powerbrake into a decent amount of boost (not full but good enough for a launch). The 3800 seems a little high for me given that you are building full boost by 3600 rpm, I guess the 3800 would be better for larger turbos and older turbos that can't make boost by then.

• 5 months later...

Sorry to bring this thread back up.thought it was a good read.

I opted for a 3800 stall on stock box was good mod at time but went tits up.

Used to try power brake and had a fault went to 3000 revs the cut off then built back up

And was making whistle sound not sure if box or tv went faulty.

Bought another auto box and thought I would try a 4000 stall.

Was advised not to go with a 4000 but tried it.was ok for me.

Only thing was on hill it would roll back where as stock and 3800 tc did not.

Bought migs Th400 would love to try it on stock twins.

Think I heard it robs power.

Hope u sort your box issues ok