The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Big single auto .... with or without Hi Stall?

Jamesy

No James, use it as in pull the lever back for 1st etc, make sure YOU put it in the gear you want and use the switch to control the lock, just like a lorry splitter box, you will soon get used to doing that.

Funny I've never driven my auto any other way. Just for the uninformed does a 3800 TC mean that the car revs to 3800 before the drive kicks in?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No James, use it as in pull the lever back for 1st etc, make sure YOU put it in the gear you want and use the switch to control the lock, just like a lorry splitter box, you will soon get used to doing that.

Ok mate i get it now :thumbs: ... Knew i shoulda popped over for a BL demo :)

What BL meant was stick it in D, i think the line pressures in the box when you shift in manu are different which can kncker the BL, i know this doesnt help you much but this is exactly the reason i will not exceed 600hp and continue to run a relatively small single turbo on an auto, even with something like a ye' olde TH400 box you will still run into all these issues with a high stall, i use an old Mitsubish Gallant as a daily driver, might be a solution mate :D

use it as in pull the lever back for 1st etc, make sure YOU put it in the gear you want and use the switch to control the lock, just like a lorry splitter box, you will soon get used to doing that.

Hey mate, tried doing it this way today and was a million times better.

I shifted through the box a bit (locking it in every gear) and it was so much more driveable when cruising. However didnt want to do it too much after what Paul said above.

However i found even just flicking between OD on and off makes a big difference :)

I guess i've been driving it everywhere in D so whenever i've used the lockout switch its knocked it into 6th gear making it chug!!

I'm happy now! :thumbs:

Thats better to hear mate :) Even with my old bpu TT if you just left it in D and drove around it wasnt a great car to drive. Even with my small single compared to yours it would be even worse, you've got to use the box to get the best from it unless you just want to potter around like a grandad :)

Had a friend in recently who said, for an auto, your constantly flicking around with the gears arent you? After he drove it and got used to it, then had a lesson on how to use the box, he understood why.

Time for some more vids then :)

Thats better to hear mate :) Even with my old bpu TT if you just left it in D and drove around it wasnt a great car to drive. Even with my small single compared to yours it would be even worse, you've got to use the box to get the best from it unless you just want to potter around like a grandad :)

Had a friend in recently who said, for an auto, your constantly flicking around with the gears arent you? After he drove it and got used to it, then had a lesson on how to use the box, he understood why.

Yeah i'm contstantly flicking between the gears, OD button and now also the lockout switch :blink:

Im just concious not to use it too much after Paul's comments about runing the BL box!!

Edited by Jamesy (see edit history)

Hey mate, tried doing it this way today and was a million times better.

I shifted through the box a bit (locking it in every gear) and it was so much more driveable when cruising. However didnt want to do it too much after what Paul said above.

However i found even just flicking between OD on and off makes a big difference :)

I guess i've been driving it everywhere in D so whenever i've used the lockout switch its knocked it into 6th gear making it chug!!

I'm happy now! :thumbs:

Sounds special. 2 more gears than normal if you count OD. :D

What BL meant was stick it in D, i think the line pressures in the box when you shift in manu are different which can kncker the BL, i know this doesnt help you much but this is exactly the reason i will not exceed 600hp and continue to run a relatively small single turbo on an auto, even with something like a ye' olde TH400 box you will still run into all these issues with a high stall, i use an old Mitsubish Gallant as a daily driver, might be a solution mate :D

Hi Paul

Just got this reply over on Supraforums and Boostlogic say not to shift it in manu mode due to the line pressure you mentioned ;)

I am not sure if shifting it manually but without applying manu mode makes a difference?? :search:

Also unsure if i am ok to use the OD button to control revs with my lockup switch, so have asked for clarification.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=609794

Got a definitive answer from Boostlogic - he said they dont recommend in changing the gears manually at all with the stick on their boxes ..... only to use 1st gear if doing a burnout.

He did however confirm it is ok and safe to flick the OD one and off.

Sounds good to me :)