The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Big single auto .... with or without Hi Stall?

Jamesy

Hey mate, tried doing it this way today and was a million times better.

I shifted through the box a bit (locking it in every gear) and it was so much more driveable when cruising. However didnt want to do it too much after what Paul said above.

However i found even just flicking between OD on and off makes a big difference :)

I guess i've been driving it everywhere in D so whenever i've used the lockout switch its knocked it into 6th gear making it chug!!

I'm happy now! :thumbs:

You will not have an issues using the box manually for cruising dude, it can only be shift at the redline that can effect it but I fail to see how.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All that money on a built box, and not being able to manually change gear?

I'll keep my stock auto thanks, and enjoy the manu mode, or just shift the gears, as I do now. It's almost a manual, but without the clutch pedal. :)

If I ever built a road single supra again I would use a TH4L80E converted to man use only ;)

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/4l80e.htm

All that money on a built box, and not being able to manually change gear?

I'll keep my stock auto thanks, and enjoy the manu mode, or just shift the gears, as I do now. It's almost a manual, but without the clutch pedal. :)

Lol dont kid yourself....its not almost a manual :D

You can keep your stock auto if you dont plan on going for big power :) ... but if you do and you still want an auto it'll haver to come out :p

I NEVER used manu mode before anyway - luckily Lee has wired it in so we can dyno the car :)

Lol dont kid yourself....its not almost a manual :D

You can keep your stock auto if you dont plan on going for big power :) ... but if you do and you still want an auto it'll haver to come out :p

I NEVER used manu mode before anyway - luckily Lee has wired it in so we can dyno the car :)

I was kinda joking, but if I do plan to go single, I would investigate a few options before giving up the auto box first. I have a few ideas.

I don't really use manu mode that often, but I do like to manually shift the gears, rather than let it kickdown, or brake all the time.

Edited by AndrewOW (see edit history)

I don't really use manu mode that often, but I do like to manually shift the gears, rather than let the kickdown, or brake all the time.

Loads of people i speak to use the box manually, i never really got into that even when it was at bpu i still just used it in Drive.

Maybe im missing out on the "proper" auto driving experience but now with the BL box is very agressive and very quick through the gears anyway - plus it revs to redline without shifting anyway so dont really see the need :)

Loads of people i speak to use the box manually, i never really got into that even when it was at bpu i still just used it in Drive.

Maybe im missing out on the "proper" auto driving experience but now with the BL box is very agressive and very quick through the gears anyway - plus it revs to redline without shifting anyway so dont really see the need :)

right with you on that one mate, just stick it in D although sometimes i put in N and for a rare treat R :p, really cant see the point of having an auto and pretending to drive it like a manual :D

right with you on that one mate, just stick it in D although sometimes i put in N and for a rare treat R :p, really cant see the point of having an auto and pretending to drive it like a manual :D

Downshifts to slow the car maybe ;) Especially when you don't want to unsettle it on the brakes.:eyebrows:

What are your thoughts on the TH400 mate?

Great box, very cheap to build and take monstrous power but only 3 speed you could fit that or a glide and put a gear vendors OD unit on either but you would need to regear the diff, alternatively for less money use the box I posted a link to;)

alternatively for less money use the box I posted a link to;)

Does look nice that one - cant see where it says how many gears or max power though?

Is this and the TH400 NOT a street box really? just for dragging....

Would it fit onto a supra then?

Does look nice that one - cant see where it says how many gears or max power though?

Is this and the TH400 NOT a street box really? just for dragging....

Would it fit onto a supra then?

From personal experience the TH400 is a step up in power handling but a step back in refinement compared to the A340E. The 4L80E, as John mentions, is another option if you want to stay auto with more control. SP do a kit I believe, but the conversion price would put you somewhere near to a manual conversion and you still have to live with a high stall. Just a shame there isn't an aftermarket DCT available, I would be all over it.

From personal experience the TH400 is a step up in power handling but a step back in refinement compared to the A340E. The 4L80E, as John mentions, is another option if you want to stay auto with more control. SP do a kit I believe, but the conversion price would put you somewhere near to a manual conversion and you still have to live with a high stall. Just a shame there isn't an aftermarket DCT available, I would be all over it.

Thanks Mig - is the A340E the Boostlogic box?

Dont really want to make the driveabililty worse, but definitely interested to learn what boxes can take big power....

Thanx mate :)

I love the BL box and the way it drives and handles the power.... i just worry about putting too much power through it!!

The 4L80E in the link they advertise as just getting comfortable at 900hp so I think your safe for a while, the handle torque too as they are whats used in motorhomes etc.

James: I have had both the boostlogic built auto and the SP 4L80E. The BL built auto is a brilliant piece of gear, but unfortunately, has no guarantee as to how long it will last at higher power levels. The TH400 is a STRONG box, but as it is a 3 speed, can be a bit cumbersome with the wider gearing.

The 4L80E is a BRILLIANT box, heavy, but can take almost anything you can throw at it, has a large range of aftermarket gear ratios and IMO, when controlled by a proper computer (I was lucky enough to have a Toyota Transmission engineer working along with Larry @ SP on mine), shifts just as smoothly as stock when cruising, and at the meat of the powerband when flooring it.

As you can see in my build thread, mine was a full Sound Performance SP4L80E (http://www.spracingonline.com/store/SP_4L80e_Built_Transmission_Kit_Supra/3620)

Your best bet is to contact Larry @ SP!

Ive had several TH type boxes in american muscle vehicles and I always prefer them with manual valve bodies so I have to shift them myself, that way there is no setting up of ecu's etc i always reverse the shift too so it goes N then 1 then 2 etc