The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Power Delivery ?

Nodalmighty

How do you like your Power Delivery?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like your Power Delivery?

• Stock TT / BPU
    • TTC Parallel Twin
    • Small Single (Nothing below 4k)
    • Large Single (Nothing below 5k)
    • Super charger (Instant boost form 1500k but crap top end performance)
    • Super Charge / Turbo combo (like 5 but with decent Top end performace of a single)
    • Something else (Please Specifiy)

With option 4, Supercharger, why does it have to be crap top end? A good twin screw, like a Whipple/Lysholm provides good top end and so can Centrifugals, it's only the Roots style that blow ( :D ) in the top end?

I love the turbo rush in a road car, but I'm with big N/A or S/C power for a track car.

Centrifugals don't provide fast response bottom end boost they tend to be very linear. The Whipple is in a class of it's own but as most people would be thinking of adding a blower to compliment the turbo they already have a Whipple would make the turbo pointless. Try getting a Supra owner to throw his GT42R in the bin and put on 3k of Supercharger kit on instead (it's never going to happen :D).

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Centrifugals don't provide fast response bottom end boost they tend to be very linear. The Whipple is in a class of it's own but as most people would be thinking of adding a blower to compliment the turbo they already have a Whipple would make the turbo pointless. Try getting a Supra owner to throw his GT42R in the bin and put on 3k of Supercharger kit on instead (it's never going to happen :D).

I'd love to see a Whipple'd 2JZ. Something like the W245 series, with 4.0l/rev displacement would provide insane fun - but getting it mounted and plumbed in would be a right pain.

It has got double pulleys and two separate belts already, are we looking at the same photos? I mean the ones JamieP put up. By toothed belt for the alternator et cetera I mean like a timing belt. Not a good idea for superchargers though as the drive to those are much safer and more forgiving with some slippage in them.

duh looked at the pics too quick,looked like one belt as the crank pulley didnt look like it was doubled.can see the auxillary belt behind the charger one now.

whipple charger specs look good now but at some cost.

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/product.asp?ProdID=1162

I know these are all hypothetical, but what about a single turbo diesel V8 or something, as some are seriously strong performers these days? That's if you can get a quiet(ish) one, or small enough to fit in the engine bay.

Just a thought. Move along please. ;)

As for the topic, I like the idea of the supercharger/turbo option. All the benefits of both, rolled into one, if it's properly possible.

How about high and low compression. Hinge the head to the block but have the cylinder liners in a casting bolted to the head. Using hydraulics to raise and lower the head about the hinge you get variable compression. Or you could finish off the mayflower engine with it's weird and wonderful hinged hydraulic con rods giving variable capacity as well as compression.

TBH i really dont see the point, a little lag is no big deal imo, if i wanted faster spooling id just fit an SP quick spool valve, but as i dont, i wont.

When i want to drive slowly the off boost driving of the supra is lovely imo, when i want to go fast it goes nuts at the stab of the peddle and never comes off boost unless i want it to.

TBH i really dont see the point, a little lag is no big deal imo, if i wanted faster spooling id just fit an SP quick spool valve, but as i dont, i wont.

That's a subjective statement though, Mr P. What defines lag? How much time? And what is acceptable to one might not be acceptable to another and vice versa, it's a very open question. Realistically though, I like turbos after 3500rpm, so you can drive sensibly off-boost, without pre-spooling like you do in the stock sequentials.

What do you define as acceptable, for instance?

That's a subjective statement though, Mr P. What defines lag? How much time? And what is acceptable to one might not be acceptable to another and vice versa, it's a very open question. Realistically though, I like turbos after 3500rpm, so you can drive sensibly off-boost, without pre-spooling like you do in the stock sequentials.

What do you define as acceptable, for instance?

As i said mate "imo"

Myself i could handle still losing a lot of spool time and it would not bother me, i have a huge powerband, if i lost another 1000rpm off my spool time i could not care less tbh.