The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Black stock body, what wheels have you got?

Bailey.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

IIRC the chap on SF put the rear wheel on the front and had the front wheel widened with a spacer to push it out to fit on the back or something like that anyway.
Thanks for the info, bit of a shame, i dont like the idea of spacer, you here so many horror storys about them failing etc...

I do like the rota gtr-d tbh, but there are so many, if I could do it safely I would quite happily widen mine, it's just the whole grip thing once I'm single just isn't going to work, I really need atleast a 295 tyre at the rears and at the minute I have 255. I'm quite happy how the car looks now, lowered on uk 17's in matt black, with oem spats and skirts, with a fixed active spoiler, I'm happy looking very suptle, it's just the wheels need to be an inch wider!!

Would you mind posting some pics of your car up? Mine should look very similar to this shortly.

Would you mind posting some pics of your car up? Mine should look very similar to this shortly.

I have no pictures of it in its current state, sorry. there are a couple here from when i first bought the car, a couple of pics on the black 17's(very dusty), but has had paint, high top spoiler and stickers removed, headlights refurbed black, and the biggest change was the front spoiler.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?220938-first-picture-post

iphone pics, apologies

not lowered

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=119312&d=1287947588

Edited by Bailey. (see edit history)

I have no pictures of it in its current state, sorry. there are a couple here from when i first bought the car, a couple of pics on the black 17's(very dusty), but has had paint, high top spoiler and stickers removed, headlights refurbed black, and the biggest change was the front spoiler.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?220938-first-picture-post

iphone pics, apologies

not lowered

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=119312&d=1287947588

It looks rather nice in the last pic :cool:

Have you considered second hand wheels? Andrewows car looks similar to yours, and looks stunning with the TTE wheels. Otherwise, good second hand Advans, Volks, BBS wheels etc will be around the same as new Rotas.

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

It looks rather nice in the last pic :cool:

Have you considered second hand wheels? Andrewows car looks similar to yours, and looks stunning with the TTE wheels. Otherwise, good second hand Advans, Volks, BBS wheels etc will be around the same as new Rotas.

Have you not seen the thread title? Lol

Have you not seen the thread title? Lol

I had just woken up, yeah well I always keep an eye 0ut, but have been putting together all my single build for the last few months, rob sheffields black te37's with r888's was a bargain, but I didn't have a turbo for my build then so needs must!

Edited by Bailey. (see edit history)

Im going to speak to big jim racing on tuseday and work out price for widening my standard 17' uk front wheels, my question now is how big can i go with that massive offset, alot of the guys on supra forums have gone to 11.5, surely not??? i will have rolled arches and the car will be lowered. something i should mention is the guys cars i have seen running 11.5 rears have drag radials on with almost stock ride height, not lowered and on r888's as i want. also will have 25mm hubcentric spacers for the rears.

IIRC the chap on SF put the rear wheel on the front and had the front wheel widened with a spacer to push it out to fit on the back or something like that anyway.

Im going to speak to big jim racing on tuseday and work out price for widening my standard 17' uk front wheels, my question now is how big can i go with that massive offset, alot of the guys on supra forums have gone to 11.5, surely not??? i will have rolled arches and the car will be lowered. something i should mention is the guys cars i have seen running 11.5 rears have drag radials on with almost stock ride height, not lowered and on r888's as i want. also will have 25mm hubcentric spacers for the rears.

About £80 per wheel for a 2" widen plus about £65 per wheel if you want the welds smoothed on the inside and fully repainted. I'm not sure what happens if you add 3.5" to get you to 11.5 but I would assume it'll cost more.

You'll also want something close to a 1.75" wide spacer if you're taking the front ones out to 11.5 (as opposed to the back wheels which are already 9.5"). There's not a lot of room for error in offsets if you go to 11.5 with a 315 tyre but you'll need to be somewhere in the 46-50mm range and that all depends on your clearance to the coilover, clearance to the body and room at the outside where the arches are rolled.

If you have the arches rolled well then you could live with a 48mm offset. If you are doing it with big spacers then it is easy to tweak it will it is right as you can start with something like a 50mm spacer (which will give you a 44mm offset) and try it. Then you can see how much room you have on the inside and decide how much to skim the spacer down to in order to bring the wheel closer to the coilover and body on the inside. If you can get the spacer down to 45mm (which makes the whole thing equivalent to a 49mm offset) then you will be fine on the outside at the rolled arch as that's exactly where my tyre edge sits now.

If you are putting the 9.5" OEM wheel upfront then you will need to modify your calipers a little so the wheel actually fits. Apparently there is some sort of casted tab on the caliper which is there to stop people accidentally switching the wheels front to rear.

About £80 per wheel for a 2" widen plus about £65 per wheel if you want the welds smoothed on the inside and fully repainted. I'm not sure what happens if you add 3.5" to get you to 11.5 but I would assume it'll cost more.

You'll also want something close to a 1.75" wide spacer if you're taking the front ones out to 11.5 (as opposed to the back wheels which are already 9.5"). There's not a lot of room for error in offsets if you go to 11.5 with a 315 tyre but you'll need to be somewhere in the 46-50mm range and that all depends on your clearance to the coilover, clearance to the body and room at the outside where the arches are rolled.

If you have the arches rolled well then you could live with a 48mm offset. If you are doing it with big spacers then it is easy to tweak it will it is right as you can start with something like a 50mm spacer (which will give you a 44mm offset) and try it. Then you can see how much room you have on the inside and decide how much to skim the spacer down to in order to bring the wheel closer to the coilover and body on the inside. If you can get the spacer down to 45mm (which makes the whole thing equivalent to a 49mm offset) then you will be fine on the outside at the rolled arch as that's exactly where my tyre edge sits now.

If you are putting the 9.5" OEM wheel upfront then you will need to modify your calipers a little so the wheel actually fits. Apparently there is some sort of casted tab on the caliper which is there to stop people accidentally switching the wheels front to rear.

Seems like you have been on sf too, i have been on there all night, they say the front caliper takes a minute too sort out, so no great shakes. this is the common way of doing it, front to be widened to a 11.5 and then the rear 9.5's to the front. As you say a 1.75" spacer is required for clearance on the strut. ive already e mailed wheeladaptors.com who most have used on sp, and i will ring big jim on tuseday morning, will let you know what he comes back with. Definetly the route im taking, 315 bf here i come, lol

If you're going to get the wheel modified I would go 9" front, 10" rear, without spacers, if you want them to fit the arches then offset around +35.
Thing is nic i want to get as much tyre on the rear as possible. This exact setup seems to have been done time n time again in the states. Its just the rears that need spacers, and thats for clearence not for looks or anything, example here http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?354824-Widened-OEM-Wheels&highlight=wheel+widening

315's on stock rims looks great, gotta give great grip that, also id not worry to much about the spacers, ive run them on and off for years with never an issue, use arp studs and hub centric spacers.

Im going for it. A little more expensive as i will need coilovers for sure, and already have springs, but i wont be spending out on new rims so it will average itself out.

Seems like you have been on sf too, i have been on there all night, they say the front caliper takes a minute too sort out, so no great shakes. this is the common way of doing it, front to be widened to a 11.5 and then the rear 9.5's to the front. As you say a 1.75" spacer is required for clearance on the strut. ive already e mailed wheeladaptors.com who most have used on sp, and i will ring big jim on tuseday morning, will let you know what he comes back with. Definetly the route im taking, 315 bf here i come, lol

Jim at BJR is a very helpful guy who I have discussed this sort f thing with at length and if I was going to widen any wheels i would go with BJR as it seems like a very capable company. A while back I was looking to widen the stockers but unfortunately I can't do that any more as they won't clear my front brakes. I'm still going for a 315/35/17 rear though :D

315's on stock rims looks great, gotta give great grip that, also id not worry to much about the spacers, ive run them on and off for years with never an issue, use arp studs and hub centric spacers.

Yeah that 315/35 on a 17 is a decent wall height at ~110mm which is almost identical to a 275/40/17. There's a 315/35/17 R888 too :D I'm hoping for lots more grip...enough to make it not worth the potentially better looking 315/30/18.

Some of the more recent Porches run a hubcentric spacer as standard - can't remember which one though.

Edited by dandan (see edit history)

I will tell findings tomorrow!

Now coilover choice, are hks hypermax 2's a good coilover. In really don't want something really really hard, as there is alot of countryside bumpy roads where I live. Any recommendations? As I say what are the hks hypermax 2's like?

Thanks dan. The first thing I'm going to say to him is , is this 100% safe, did you get any feedback on this?

They do a fair bit to ensure the weld is good and check for micro cracks and porosity with dye penetrant so as far as welded wheels go I'd say they are very thorough but I have never visited the place to see the process in action. My WedsSport wheels are 3 pieces and the inner and outer barrel are welded together and the centre is bolted in. My Racing Hart Wheels were made to look like split rim but they were also welded together.

I will tell findings tomorrow!

How did you get on with Big Jim? :D

They do a fair bit to ensure the weld is good and check for micro cracks and porosity with dye penetrant so as far as welded wheels go I'd say they are very thorough but I have never visited the place to see the process in action. My WedsSport wheels are 3 pieces and the inner and outer barrel are welded together and the centre is bolted in. My Racing Hart Wheels were made to look like split rim but they were also welded together.

Thats good to hear. I have been trying him allday, all i have been getting is his answer machine everytime. I left him a message around 3pm and have not heard back yet, hopefully tomorrow. I bought some coilovers yesterday, so thats the worst bit over and done with.

What is the standard uk 17's front width? 8.5 or 8"?

Thats good to hear. I have been trying him allday, all i have been getting is his answer machine everytime. I left him a message around 3pm and have not heard back yet, hopefully tomorrow. I bought some coilovers yesterday, so thats the worst bit over and done with.

What is the standard uk 17's front width? 8.5 or 8"?

Also thought i should mention they guy i bought my coilovers from is selling a triple plate os giken clutch and a power fc, i would of snapped both these up if i hadnt already bought others. he also mentioned he has a full set of kad 356mm brakes for sale.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/trianglechoked/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

• 2 weeks later...

Big jim just rang me back today. He has quoted me £90 to widen an 8j rim to 11.5. Now just waiting to hear back from a few tyre suppliers and the wheel adaptor company.

Tyre choice is now the big question?!