The mkiv Supra Owners Club

aftermarket twin turbo set ups

sams

You should start with the power figure you would like to achieve, then contact some insurance companies and ask how much it would cost you to insure. Pointless going any further until you know you can insure you proposal.

aplan would insure me on my car running 650, (would have to send dyno proof) for 3200 now, im paying only 1500 for bpu so they said next year, (another year older and clean licence as my conictions are over 5 year old) it be around 2000 as a prediction

but compared to all my cars in the past 2k is still one the cheapest insured cars i have ever had.

insurance dnt bother me i pay it for the privilige to have a nice car

im not a boy race and like to pose you cant pose while going fast lol

Why do you want twin turbo kit rather than a single kit? Is it just for bragging rights?

Running the HKS GT2835 twin kit at 600hp, the turbos would be running way below their efficiency range and compared to a properly sized single turbo would be very laggy.

Not sure if anyone has done it, but you could substitute the HKS turbos with a couple of smaller Garrett GT25R turbos, I'd guess they'd be good for around 600+hp. It'd be interesting to see but would cost a whole chunk of money to do properly.

Why do you want twin turbo kit rather than a single kit? Is it just for bragging rights?

Running the HKS GT2835 twin kit at 600hp, the turbos would be running way below their efficiency range and compared to a properly sized single turbo would be very laggy.

Not sure if anyone has done it, but you could substitute the HKS turbos with a couple of smaller Garrett GT25R turbos, I'd guess they'd be good for around 600+hp.

i wouldnt say bragging rights, i preffer the look of twin set ups, plus it makes use of the available space

the garrett idea would be something id try

Its been done. See here :)

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=594840

Nicks setup is awesome and works well.

There is also another supra running N1 turbos

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=587100

Very unique setups but to do properly its not cheap by no means.

Twins are of high interest to me.

Edited by Kirk (see edit history)

1 turbo is enough to worry about when you start modding let alone 2;)

going bpu is modding and straining the 2 turbos so same abount of worrying

There's also the Compound twin kit :)

Looks a complete mess though

I love the look and sound of twins, but I'd always go single, much better value for money IMO, and are a relatively simple setup, even compared to stock twins, which means maintainence is much easier.

i not seen that kit,

im not worried about value for money, and i dnt go simple way around things. i builts some nutty cars before

• 2 weeks later...
Not sure if anyone has done it, but you could substitute the HKS turbos with a couple of smaller Garrett GT25R turbos, I'd guess they'd be good for around 600+hp. It'd be interesting to see but would cost a whole chunk of money to do properly.

the garrett idea would be something id try

Out of curiosity I checked with HKS Japan to see if they would supply the HKS GT2835 twin kit and HKS T51 single kit without the turbos. They said yes they can supply both kits without the turbos. The HKS twin kit uses 2 x T25 turbo flanges, the T51 kit uses a V-band turbo flange.

So come on the Sams, I want to see what a Garrett GT25R twin kit can do. :)

http://www.hksusa.com/images_products/1491.jpg

I have driven a car with the HKS twin kit on, and even with mild cams it was as laggy as hell. I wasn't convinced the mapping was as good as it could have been, it was on an HKS ecu, but nonetheless the turbos were very evidently terribly slow to spool and to my mind would be unbearable on a road car. Even on track a good single set up would have it on spool up alone out of corners. It will be a huge expense, you need to drive a car with a similar set up before committing, or you may be very disappointed. I wouldn't dream of that set up if it was for a car I was building, for road or track.

I remember you saying Chris that (in theory at least), a twin turbo setup should spool up faster than a single turbo, both producing the same power.

I'd also never consider the standard HKS twin turbo kit on my own car. I am curious to know how a pair of smaller DBB turbos producing say 600-650hp would compare to a single turbo car producing the same hp. For the sake of argument ignoring the costs involved.

The HKS kit I tried had huge turbos. In the Skyline world pretty much every possible combination has been tried and documented. The turbos on my RB26 are tiny compared to the HKS kit, and spool well, yet are capable of over 600 BHP. Top end power means little in a road car, area under the torque curve is everything. Well matched twins, correctly manifolded will always spool faster than a single. Whether the cost and complexity is worth it is another matter. I run internally gated turbos, so don't have the nightmare of packaging two external wastegates.

HKS twins are going to cost a lot more than a decent single set up - even £11k might be abit on the tight side for a single set up depending how far you go on supporting mods....

As mentioned the twins will be laggy if only running at half they're efficency...and the big twin rourteis a helluva lot more work to get right.....

Good luck with whatever u do :)