The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mapping today

Stonkin

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok then, few issues here.

Personally i havent had an issue with the way the car ever drove after ryan first mapped it over a year ago. The day after it was mapped i noticed a hot start issue, called Ryan and we corrected 1 field that i remember. Off the top of my head it was injector related, cant remember the exact name of the table, but knew where it was. The top left field was set to 30 and the hot start was fine.

Once the car was driven by the afr team they commented how it was running rich off boost, and does it use a lot of fuel. To be honest i dont know, its a single supra, what is a lot of fuel? :) The original turbo was found to be faulty and i got the new 6262 and dropped it to them to change and said ryan will be mapping it when he comes back. I had calls with dude daily, mainly because i was being a pain asking how things were going. Dude explained how Matt could map the car there which i thought about for an afternoon or so. At the point it was finished i was advised and i cant remember if the car went on the dyno there just to check if the new turbo had fixed the car not boosting before, or they wanted it to go on the new dyno in the new building or if it didnt go on the dyno at all and was just road tested, but i know the new turbo had fixed the boost issue. I called dude the next morning and couldnt get hold of him so i txt saying not sure if Matt has done anything yet but as i'd already spoken to Ryan about it i would rather leave the booking with him. This was nothing against Matt, its just i had used Ryan before, been happy and was being polite to already requesting it.

I was advised Matt wasnt happy with the map and it probably wouldnt need just a quick check from new turbo but setting up differently. I think it was said the whole map had been used for on boost, partly down perhaps to the limitations of the EMU and not having the ability to set as many settings as a more modern ecu, but maybe Ryan had a reason for doing this.

Anyway, car was collected and the guys there did their best to get it ready for a late collection at the end of a friday, and i was grateful. I spent time talking to Dude/Tom about the work, payed the bill which i was happy with and also had no doubts more time had been spent on investigating the boost issue than was charged for. Again, i was grateful, shook hands and left.

I stopped and filled up at the BP garage over the road and sat there for 15 mins trying to start it. I thought of calling Dude but i'm sure he would have left and didnt want to disturb. After leaving it to rest having a ciggy it fired up and i went home. Car was used a couple of other times whilst waiting for mapping but no stops on journeys. All was good. I used the car to get to work today in Reading and stopped at a BP on way and had the same hot start issue. Arrived at SRR, switched off. Warned Ryan that it is likely to have a hot start issue, and said, i presume that could be because of the new turbo? He said he highly doubted it, lets have a look. Laptop connected and the 30 value that was set previously above was on 0. I noticed this straight away and reminded Ryan of our conversation and what was done with the phone call the day after mapping last time. It was changed to 30 and the car started fine. Then the rest of the day proceeded as per my first post.

What i dont want, is my car to be at the centre of a confrontation here. Its my car and i will choose who does what work on it. I was happy with the work done by AFR and i was happy with the work done today by Ryan. Yes the map did look slightly different, i dont know why and i'm not pin pointing any fingers about it.

The boost issue is fixed, it has a map and i'm gutted i'm sat here writing this instead of out making use of the empty motorways, buit i'll get the pipe sorted asap and do just that. Its no wonder there could be an issue with it its been removed so many times in the last month and must be about 6 years old, its probably gone hard and cracked.

Removed the oil drain pipe yesterday. Was a pig as the nut on the 45 degree bend at the engine end had gone totally stiff. Finally got it off. The inside rubber hose was very hard and cracking around the edges so could also have been under the braid. The 45 degree bend was also leaking.

Rushed down to Pirtek in Crawley to get a copy made of it before they closed at 12, which they did very well. Sorted :) No :( Got home and they had made the nuts on each end of the pipe the next size down than needed so it didnt fit!

So, i called LeeP and he kindly said to come over and he would make one up. He used a new braided pipe, new 45 degree bend, my old turbo end connector as this was fine and then heat wrapped it. He saved the day as i was getting a bit peed off by now :) Was good to meet Jamesy down there and see his car to, such a lovely engine bay mate :thumbs:

Got home and fitted it, topped up the oil and took it for a drive. Lightly at first, slowly getting the revs up, then 5 or 6 1.0 bar pulls. I've just checked the oil this morning and it hasnt lost a drop and the new pipe is completely dry :)

The sun is beating down and the roads are dry, time to go and enjoy some 1.5 bar fun :D

Removed the oil drain pipe yesterday. Was a pig as the nut on the 45 degree bend at the engine end had gone totally stiff. Finally got it off. The inside rubber hose was very hard and cracking around the edges so could also have been under the braid. The 45 degree bend was also leaking.

Rushed down to Pirtek in Crawley to get a copy made of it before they closed at 12, which they did very well. Sorted :) No :( Got home and they had made the nuts on each end of the pipe the next size down than needed so it didnt fit!

So, i called LeeP and he kindly said to come over and he would make one up. He used a new braided pipe, new 45 degree bend, my old turbo end connector as this was fine and then heat wrapped it. He saved the day as i was getting a bit peed off by now :) Was good to meet Jamesy down there and see his car to, such a lovely engine bay mate :thumbs:

Got home and fitted it, topped up the oil and took it for a drive. Lightly at first, slowly getting the revs up, then 5 or 6 1.0 bar pulls. I've just checked the oil this morning and it hasnt lost a drop and the new pipe is completely dry :)

The sun is beating down and the roads are dry, time to go and enjoy some 1.5 bar fun :D

Glad you got it fixed bud, :D TBH there is always small problems that are easy fixed part and parcel of modding i guess.

Let us know how you get on with your Spirited Driving today :D

Went out for a drive on Sunday, couple of full boost runs. Christ it was a totally different animal to 1.0 bar! Cheryl then decided we needed to go to homebase to get some picture hooks, no worries.

We left with 3 plant pots, 6 bags of white stones for an area by the front steps of the house, a blind for the bedroom, a floating shelf for the lounge, some flowers for the plant pots, picture hooks and er a knome style 'ant man' thing which i thought would look cool with the plants :D The backend was now on the floor and i couldnt even get a finger in between the rear tyres and arch. I then relaised this was her sneaky plan to get me to drive home at 20mph :D

Came home to find the family cleaning cars, i cringed at some of the methods, but if i moan too much they will all become my job :)

Then decided to go for a blast, Cheryl and her Dad went in his Ferrari Mondial, i took her sister's boyfriend in the supra. Cheryl was filming from the Mondial. Taking it steady on the backroads saving the fun for the dual carriageway. Her sister left before us and waited at the side of the road to do some more filming.

I got onto the dual carriageway before him and waited. He clearly wasnt going to line up and nailed it from 5 ot 6 cars behind me, i waitd until he got neck and neck and floored it. I could hear Cheryl scream from his car as the screamer pipe came on as it was pretty much right next to her :) The car absolutely flys, just keeps pulling and pulling. You can feel the back squat down and just launches hard. Had the same fun down the other side of the carriageway. Could see Cheryl filming all the way, great. We were then supposed to go back down the other side again so her sis could get some shots, we totally forgot in the heat of the moment and left them there and headed home :D

The sisters boyfriend had just been out in the mondial and came back saying how quick it was, hence him then coming out with me. He didnt say too much on the journey but just had white knuckles holding onto the jesus handle. Got out and said holy christ that is f*$@"[g quick! :D

Checked the 4 vids that Cheryl took, 1 on the backroad was fine, as we got to the dual carriageway all was good and she got the bit where he came up from behind and i floored it off. The next line up we did which was very close to each other, as soon as the screamer pipe came on all sound on her vids stopped, it appears as though the microphone has busted :D was gutted, was sounding great on the vids up to that point.

A happy day all in all, great to have a new turbo fitted and be able to use the car how it should be again :)

Edited by Stonkin (see edit history)

:thumbs:

good to see you mate - glad its all fixed now and running well - get those videos uploaded eh :)