The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Officially a "member" & owner!

Kalel

Oh I almost forgot!!!!!

The speedo goes nuts from time to time, I'm going 40-50mph and when I step on the pedal... It touches all the way round to max, then back down!! Didn't think much of it, but last night my "engine check" light popped up!!

^*heart attack*^

I googled for almost 1 hour, then used the old paperclip to diognostic box technique..

Code 42!

Could be speed sensor, or blah blah...

I'm pretty sure I need my speedo fixed..... Any experiences? Read somewhere average cost is £80 for a 2nd hand part and possible to diy.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buggered speed de limiter / km/mph converter. The cheep ones brake and give that error often I believe.

Trying nit to be a stick in the mud... All round tints will get you hastle from plod who will then check your insurance when they pull you. So make sure all mods (and I mean everything) is declared. And all is correct. Or you will loose your car. And have to pay even more to get it back ;)

I also hope you weren't suggesting falsifying documents with that Photoshop comment. I'm sure the jail term for that when you crash will be more than not having any insurance at all ;)

Edited by Guigsy (see edit history)

Buggered speed de limiter / km/mph converter. The cheep ones brake and give that error often I believe.

I also hope you weren't suggesting falsifying documents with that Photoshop comment. I'm sure the jail term for that when you crash will be more than not having any insurance at all ;)

aby suggestions on how to fix this? Diy or mechanic? Plus... What sort of cost am I looking at?

And me... No no no falsifying... :)

Wouldn't know mine on my last spec worked fine and my uk car doesn't need one I've just seen it on here a few times. The search button I'm sure will bring things up for you

Thanks anyway, search isn't always working. 100 different answers with 100 different solutions. But I'm assuming your right about the dodgy converter, could be.

So guys, any help with my turbo timer, boost controller? Boost controller seems to idle at about -400? (i think, can't remember) acceleration increases it but wt heck is it for?

And my turbo timer, has a on/off button & a "setting" button. Setting from 3 options. 1-100, 2-200, manual- 150, what it dooo?

I'm getting quotes of £3-4k on price comparison sites. 21 years old, 3 years no claims and 2 accidents, one was my fault. I also live in a nice area.

I guess you have to phone for the best deals.

On what car? Let me add my license is clean, no points/accidents or anything similar!

Tell your fellow northerns to stop nicking/crashing cars then :D It's all about statistical risk analysis, nothing more than that. More claims in your area = higher insurance.

:D

Oh I almost forgot!!!!!

The speedo goes nuts from time to time, I'm going 40-50mph and when I step on the pedal... It touches all the way round to max, then back down!! Didn't think much of it, but last night my "engine check" light popped up!!

^*heart attack*^

I googled for almost 1 hour, then used the old paperclip to diognostic box technique..

Code 42!

Could be speed sensor, or blah blah...

I'm pretty sure I need my speedo fixed..... Any experiences? Read somewhere average cost is £80 for a 2nd hand part and possible to diy.

Code 42 is relatively easily solved if you're OK with a soldering iron and a pair of wire cutters. I would remove your dash panels (guides on here, just search for it), find the aftermarket speed converter (small matchbox-sized box with between 3 and 5 wires coming out of it, usually found behind the odometer or speedo dial). If you know what you're doing you can try removing it and reverting the wiring back to stock (to verify that it's the speed converter that's causing your code 42 and nothing else), but it almost always is the converter so you could skip that bit and but a decent converter: I recommend the Thor ones (search for it: they get discussed on here quite regularly), but not sure if they still make them. The cheap ones won't control things like your power steering or some of the other TT goodies very well, so worth spending approx £60-£100 on one.

About your insurance: have you tried an insurance broker? They can sometimes negotiate a better deal on your behalf if your situation doesn't fit the "standard" risk profile that insurers like to cater for.

So guys, any help with my turbo timer, boost controller? Boost controller seems to idle at about -400? (i think, can't remember) acceleration increases it but wt heck is it for?

And my turbo timer, has a on/off button & a "setting" button. Setting from 3 options. 1-100, 2-200, manual- 150, what it dooo?

I think you will find unless its part of the alarm a turbotimer will invalidate your warranty. Plus they are a waste of space and money. Just drive it gently for a few mins before switching off.

I know insurance has gone up but £3k ? OUCH

yeah turbo timers are for tools :p

i saw a guy pull up in a mr2 next to mine at tesco. he got out in his suit. and then spent 5 mins next to his car making sure it was locked and the turbo timer was working properly before walking inside.... whats the point. he looked like a right plonker.

I NEVER use mine (its on the alarm) and the car has done 154k and still on the origonal turbos :p

I've just gotten the hang of it and it really seemd stupid. I'm always going to check if my doors locked, and timers counting down.... Wasting my time standing around my car waiting to "switch off"...

It's MUCH better to drive the car slowly rather than have it sitting there idling. No point in turbo timers at all IMO.

It's MUCH better to drive the car slowly rather than have it sitting there idling. No point in turbo timers at all IMO.

100% agreed.

Now as for the "apexi boost control" unit in my car.. What it doo? I can't read the thing properly.

Idles at -400 (approx, as it goes up and down) when I hit the peddle to the metal it starts from 0 and goes up

100% agreed.

Now as for the "apexi boost control" unit in my car.. What it doo? I can't read the thing properly.

Idles at -400 (approx, as it goes up and down) when I hit the peddle to the metal it starts from 0 and goes up

It's a boost/vaccum gauge. Numbers under 0 are vaccum and over are the boost your turbos are making.

Well yeah, although I suppose the reading might be on a boost controller as well. No idea without seeing it :)

Lol tell me how to upload photos from an iPhone I'll upload some pics!

And it does write "apexi boost controller" on the box with the figures. And next to it I have the fcon (which i've read is an ecu system to support my aftermarket upgrades!

Lol tell me how to upload photos from an iPhone I'll upload some pics!

And it does write "apexi boost controller" on the box with the figures. And next to it I have the fcon (which i've read is an ecu system to support my aftermarket upgrades!

Sounds like a nice spec, and I expect it is a boost controller but I'd suggest you don't play with it until you confirm exactly what spec you have and what it all does. Otherwise you'll damage things and worst case will blow your engine.