The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Where to get a TRD kit and fitted?

TLicense

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could always give a kit to Nur Motorsport and get them to copy it in carbon/kevlar.

That would be a good idea IMO... Noel's work is pretty impressive. His Skyline was amazing :)

A load more resilient than fibreglass too. I wonder if you could get a thin coat of paint over it so you can see the weave... like the F40 :cool:

That would be a good idea IMO... Noel's work is pretty impressive. His Skyline was amazing :)

A load more resilient than fibreglass too. I wonder if you could get a thin coat of paint over it so you can see the weave... like the F40 :cool:

He still has that car along with many others, its a petrolheads paradise at his place.

Yeah, i guess so, i like an immaculate look though so wont work for my rear wings.

I'm sure I heard somewhere that the company that makes the TRD kit for MVP is the same company that makes the originals.

On a personal note, I've just fitted a full TRD kit from MVP and it literally went straight on with no mods as all. Was a total perfect fit. Can't see the point in spending an extra Few grand just to say it's genuine. Most if not everyone couldn't tell the difference.

TRD made and design the kit, they comissioned a FRP local company to make it exclusively for them..

am pretty sure MVP dont buy from the original place (TRD would sue them) if they did, but what i do know is that the MVP stuff is good quality stuff i have seen it on few supras and you have tried it and had no issues with the kit..

but believe me there is a lot of customers that would like it from the original place rather than a replica. (as in theory thats what it MVP is).

title they have on site

*TRD Complete Widebody Reproduction Kit for 1993-98 Supra*

Part # TRD Replica MK4

I dont think the kit MVP sells is original but it is regarded as very good i hear.

Not a cheap job to do, original kit £7k plus delivery, Proper set of wheels/tyres £4k+? Good bodyshop 5k+?

I can see 15-20k going on this with ease if you want a 100% job, as with anything there is plenty of corners that could be cut but i dont see you doing that, look forward to the project thread:cool:

I like the TRD kit but do you really want a car covered in fibreglass?

I was under the impression that the genuine TRD kit has front and rear bumpers made from polyeurothane and the front wings were steel as per OEM?

I'm sure I heard somewhere that the company that makes the TRD kit for MVP is the same company that makes the originals.

On a personal note, I've just fitted a full TRD kit from MVP and it literally went straight on with no mods as all. Was a total perfect fit. Can't see the point in spending an extra Few grand just to say it's genuine. Most if not everyone couldn't tell the difference.

That's the problem though isn't it? Finding a kit that you actually trust will fit without having to spend the couple of grand getting it bodged to fit.

I'm not interested in having a genuine kit just because it's genuine. I'm interested in having one because it'll fit and fit well.

If what you're saying is true, and the MVP kit does actually fit as well as the genuine TRD kit, and what Jamie says it correct that the genuine kit was just FPRG, the same as the MVP, then I'd probably go that route and save myself a couple of grand.

Just because it's money no object, doesn't mean I'd throw it away for the sake of it, but if there is a real quantitive difference between the two then I'd rather spend the money and save on hassle.

Albundy had a TRD kit. i seem to remember he had issues with sinkage on the wings and it needed a respray to sort.

Its certainly a nice kit but i think the bodyshop is really important even more so than normal bodykits.

I wonder if it would be less hassle to get Jurgen to import a TRD kitted car?

With no dis-respect to Jurgen, but what makes you think that any car that Jurgen imports wouldn't have much the same problem as one that's been fitted here?

Plus a lot of the kit on mine is fairly customised to how I want it so although I could potentially buy a car with the bodykit I wanted, I'd lose all the rest of the stuff I've done.

Just goin by the kit on my car, Had the Bumper off two weeks ago to replace my oil cooler; not too sure how it compares to MVP

I am 99% sure the wings are metal not fiberglass( i can double check agin if you want), the TRD kit also has a ducting unit behind the bumper (fiberglass but with a smooth top lacquered layer to aid smooth airflow/apperance, all counter sunk bolts); the unit mesaures about 1 meter across X 1/2 meter depth and 40cm high

The best comparison I could give you is to an F1 car front ducting in apperance/design(sorry i didnt take photos now). It channels the area through the Engine and front brakes plus the mesh is bolted to the ducting not the Bumper.

This Ducting leverages its fitting off the front crash bar and the bumper bolts to a metal bracket underneath the ducting plus the usual OEM fittings) Bumper if I remember correctly has 2 bolts either headlight and 6 underneath, total of 10 bolts; the ducting has 6 bolts and the 6 underneath.

I have not seen an MVP kit but the front bumper on my car runs all the way to the crank, a sort of front diffuser with counter sunk holes to ensure a clean airflow.

I was surprised at how neath and well taught out the kit was(especially the ducting unit), alot of work and effort went into the design and the functionality which as far as I know is rare with majority of body kits.

Just reading up about the kit , toyota did spend alot on R&D in the wind tunnel perfecting the kits functionality but had a trade off between functionality and apperance. I suppose this does support the price tag

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)

With no dis-respect to Jurgen, but what makes you think that any car that Jurgen imports wouldn't have much the same problem as one that's been fitted here?

Plus a lot of the kit on mine is fairly customised to how I want it so although I could potentially buy a car with the bodykit I wanted, I'd lose all the rest of the stuff I've done.

i think he ment by buying my white TRD lol genuine kit with genuine fit,.

I was under the impression that the genuine TRD kit has front and rear bumpers made from polyeurothane and the front wings were steel as per OEM?

That's the problem though isn't it? Finding a kit that you actually trust will fit without having to spend the couple of grand getting it bodged to fit.

I'm not interested in having a genuine kit just because it's genuine. I'm interested in having one because it'll fit and fit well.

If what you're saying is true, and the MVP kit does actually fit as well as the genuine TRD kit, and what Jamie says it correct that the genuine kit was just FPRG, the same as the MVP, then I'd probably go that route and save myself a couple of grand.

Just because it's money no object, doesn't mean I'd throw it away for the sake of it, but if there is a real quantitive difference between the two then I'd rather spend the money and save on hassle.

i can ask the guy i sold my white aero trd or if you wait a week or so we have the other white one due in uk..

Just goin by the kit on my car, Had the Bumper off two weeks ago to replace my oil cooler; not too sure how it compares to MVP

I am 99% sure the wings are metal not fiberglass( i can double check agin if you want), the TRD kit also has a ducting unit behind the bumper (fiberglass but with a smooth top lacquered layer to aid smooth airflow/apperance, all counter sunk bolts); the unit mesaures about 1 meter across X 1/2 meter depth and 40cm high

The best comparison I could give you is to an F1 car front ducting in apperance/design(sorry i didnt take photos now). It channels the area through the Engine and front brakes plus the mesh is bolted to the ducting not the Bumper.

This Ducting leverages its fitting off the front crash bar and the bumper bolts to a metal bracket underneath the ducting plus the usual OEM fittings) Bumper if I remember correctly has 2 bolts either headlight and 6 underneath, total of 10 bolts; the ducting has 6 bolts and the 6 underneath.

I have not seen an MVP kit but the front bumper on my car runs all the way to the crank, a sort of front diffuser with counter sunk holes to ensure a clean airflow.

I was surprised at how neath and well taught out the kit was(especially the ducting unit), alot of work and effort went into the design and the functionality which as far as I know is rare with majority of body kits.

Just reading up about the kit , toyota did spend alot on R&D in the wind tunnel perfecting the kits functionality but had a trade off between functionality and apperance. I suppose this does support the price tag

I'm pretty suite the mpv replica kit comes with this ducting too, sure hodge has it in his build thread.

Yep it certainly does come with the ducting. Painted mine black and it looks awesome lol.

Do you have pic John, interesting to compare, my unit is a three piece kit, two sid duct pods for the front brakes and the big center for the intercooler/ Engine bay area

They all bolt together to make one unit, using those plastic philp head screw gromets ( not too sure what they are called)