The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Would you run a turbo blanket?

jevansio

But is it not true that in the turbo you get a constant stream of all 6 runners which heat up further due to them coming together into a restriction, where as in the runner it's an interrupted flow. Exactly how much temp can a gas drop by in the length of a runner?

Has anyone actually put a probe in the runner & the turbo to measure this drop?

Ryan always told me the in turbo temps would be higher than the manifold?

I am actually dumbfounded that you see 800 on WOT 6th gear pulls, my map is pretty rich (under 11.5 @ WOT), I have gone full 4" turbo back exhaust with screamer, I just don't know what I could do to get my EGTs down to 800 on WOT 6th gear 5000+ rpm

Jay how many times have i talked to you about this!! :tongue:

The EGTs are always hotter in the collector or exhaust housing. Due to the reason you have listed above.. Been tested and moved on many cars on here who i said to move the probe to 2" from the exhaust port on the head using a Decent ktype with like a 5mm shaft and 2mm tip.

http://shop.vems.hu/catalog/sensor-type-p-53.html

Just look at any vids of an engine on the dyno and see which part of the system glows first!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdWlnLM8Rmw&feature=related

Also the precision exhaust housing are 100% the problem with those turbos! Seen so many now where the Exhaust housing has just split inside and debris have broken off. Lee P will confirm this as i showed him on one he had at his workshop.

Ryan

You should only use turbine housings made of Ni-Resist (trade mark high nickel content cast iron for high temperature applications). The Garrett listings show which turbos use this type of housing. Normal grey iron erodes with the heat of a high performance petrol engine exhaust allowing flakes of irridescent material to brak free and erode the wheel. Most turbos are NOT made of Ni-Resist, especially a lot of the el cheapo American stuff. You ideally should run an Inconel turbine wheel, too. Here is how Garrett describe their turbos, these are what I have as a matched pair on my Skyline engine:

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT28/GT2871R_707160_10.htm

Turbo Dynamics and Turbo Technics, plus Ken Brittain all have experience of this and agree on it definitely being the housing losing internal material as it scales and then flakes off through the blades of the turbine wheel. There are now a few trick stainless alloy turbine housings for Garrett turbos available from Turbo Dynamics.