The mkiv Supra Owners Club

PHATBOY 8 Piston Big Brake Kit (380x32mm)

Hassan

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok i was just told from a lad with a P1 impreza that a lot of subaru owners are using ksport & he rates them very well. He's also thinking of changing his alcons for these.

I also heard they were made in the same factory as brembo's.

Maybe, but brembos are a different and better design, often monoblock also.

BTW as scoobie brakes are equal to fred flinstone putting his feet through the floor anything would seem good to them lol.

Maybe, but brembos are a different and better design, often monoblock also.

BTW as scoobie brakes are equal to fred flinstone putting his feet through the floor anything would seem good to them lol.

Yeah but surely alcons would be a good brake?

Guest dannewton

Ok..... I think I need to put a few things straight...... I'm the owner of Phatboy Brakes, and I see a few people here have some negative things to say about my brake kits, funny how some peopl seem to be experts on the matter without actually testing or even seeing any of my kits.

Firstly, all these "brakes made in China or Taiwan are crap" comments are totally unfounded. The thing that most people don't realise is that most large brake brands have their kits made in Taiwan, most of which are made by the same factory I buy my kits from. The quality of these kits is as good as, if not better than kits made in UK or anywhere else for that matter.

Secondly the "this guys only sold a load of PS3 games and a VW kit"..... Correct, I have sold a load of PS3 games, is that a crime? and make that 3 kits so far (in the first month), customers happy and positive feedback received. I thought that was a good thing, no? We've all got to start somewhere guys! Thirdly, I thought the name was quite good to be honest.... even if you don't like it it's not printed on the calipers, so you can put whatever name you feel like on there, for example.... "Dnk" or "Jihwaan" if that makes you happy. Also the "I'll send out replacement seals" comment is a valid point. One guy asked me what I'd do if the caliper seals leaked, to which I replied I would send out free replacements in the unlikely event of them leaking. Again, isn't that an advantage rather than a dissadvantage?

Also, these kits or not "replicas" or "copies".... like I said in the listings these are the same brakes as most other kits on the market; Alliance, D2, XYZ, Stoptech.... so on, so on, just without the price tag. I live down the road from the factory in Taiwan, and am friends with the boss hence the price I pay is much lower than anyone else can get them for, plus I'm shipping them straight to the customer, cutting out the middle man and passing on the savings to you. So you needn't worry about me packing up and shipping off, replacement parts are readily available from a variety of sources.

In regards to crappy pads, I send out the kits with street pads, if you want race pads, I can send those out instead for an extra GBP40. Another thing I'd like to mention is that you can decide which rotor design you would like, straight slotted, curve slotted, drilled, or a combination of slotted and drilled for no extra cost. You can also pick from 5 different caliper colours.

you will that the prices are GBP50 less than my e-bay prices.

Well, I hope I haven't upset anybody and you will have a little more confidence in my kits now.

Many thanks

Dan Newton

Edited by JustGav
URL Removed : Advertising... (see edit history)

Ok..... I think I need to put a few things straight...... I'm the owner of Phatboy Brakes, and I see a few people here have some negative things to say about my brake kits, funny how some peopl seem to be experts on the matter without actually testing or even seeing any of my kits.

Firstly, all these "brakes made in China or Taiwan are crap" comments are totally unfounded. The thing that most people don't realise is that most large brake brands have their kits made in Taiwan, most of which are made by the same factory I buy my kits from. The quality of these kits is as good as, if not better than kits made in UK or anywhere else for that matter.

Secondly the "this guys only sold a load of PS3 games and a VW kit"..... Correct, I have sold a load of PS3 games, is that a crime? and make that 3 kits so far (in the first month), customers happy and positive feedback received. I thought that was a good thing, no? We've all got to start somewhere guys! Thirdly, I thought the name was quite good to be honest.... even if you don't like it it's not printed on the calipers, so you can put whatever name you feel like on there, for example.... "Dnk" or "Jihwaan" if that makes you happy. Also the "I'll send out replacement seals" comment is a valid point. One guy asked me what I'd do if the caliper seals leaked, to which I replied I would send out free replacements in the unlikely event of them leaking. Again, isn't that an advantage rather than a dissadvantage?

Also, these kits or not "replicas" or "copies".... like I said in the listings these are the same brakes as most other kits on the market; Alliance, D2, XYZ, Stoptech.... so on, so on, just without the price tag. I live down the road from the factory in Taiwan, and am friends with the boss hence the price I pay is much lower than anyone else can get them for, plus I'm shipping them straight to the customer, cutting out the middle man and passing on the savings to you. So you needn't worry about me packing up and shipping off, replacement parts are readily available from a variety of sources.

In regards to crappy pads, I send out the kits with street pads, if you want race pads, I can send those out instead for an extra GBP40. Another thing I'd like to mention is that you can decide which rotor design you would like, straight slotted, curve slotted, drilled, or a combination of slotted and drilled for no extra cost. You can also pick from 5 different caliper colours.

you will that the prices are GBP50 less than my e-bay prices.

Well, I hope I haven't upset anybody and you will have a little more confidence in my kits now.

Many thanks

Dan Newton

copy [ˈkɒpɪ]

n pl copies

1. an imitation or reproduction of an original

2. a single specimen of something that occurs in a multiple edition, such as a book, article, etc.

vb copies, copying, copied

1. (when tr, often foll by out) to make a copy or reproduction of (an original)

2. (tr) to imitate as a model

they are therefore copies of the same brakes are they not?

Guest dannewton

Well done, you know how to use a dictionary.... I'm surprised! And they're not copies, they're the same brakes. If You had a Subaru Impreza and so did I, would you say mine is a copy of yours? Grow up!

Here's the details of the race pads:

Optimal operating temperature - 80-700C

Instant temperature - 800c

Coefficient of friction - 0.40-0.55u

The pads that fit my kits are not unique designs, many brands of pads will fit, such as brembo etc... Some may say they're "copies".

Cheers

Dan

Guest dannewton

Also, I wouldn't recomend using the race pads for road use. Here are the details of the street pads:

Optimal operating temperature - 0-450C

Instant temperature - 500C

Coefficient of friction - 0.32-0.40

you twit- if you read through this thread I have been basically sticking up for the idea of using unknown products and finding out for oneself- and stating that just because they are 'cheaper' and unknown doesnt make them bad.

If I had a subara impreza and another car maker (say toyota) bought, re-badged and sold the same car as a toyota 'whatever-the-hell-it-is' my toyota would be a copy of your subaru- so your brakes are copies of the others or the others are copies of your brakes. Who really gives a sh*t if they are copies- its a fact. I would rather buy an identical copy at 1/2 the price than the real thing and paying twice as much for something identical.

grow up? how about you take your phatboy brakes and shove them where the sun dont shine.

I was actually considering sending you a message on ebay asking if I can get the rotor- centres and brakes in blue and how much for a set for front and back. After your little smart a** tirade I will now be buying D2's or similiar.

And if you dont believe me check my post where I say "if anyone try's these out and they are good let me know so I can buy some" and all the other posts where I have said this sort of stuff shouldnt be dismissed just because its cheap, or coming out of asia etc.

Guest dannewton

Dear Mr Jihwann,

If we're getting onto the subject of smart arse comments, quoting definitions from the dictionary is certainly one way to make a smart arse comment my friend. I have read through your previous posts, you said:

"that and the fact the only thing the guy has sold previously is one set of VW brakes and a heap of PS3 games...."

If that's the case why would consider buying set of brakes from me? Again, getting back onto the "copies" debate, I've not re-badged my brakes as anything. Like I've already stated, they are the same, not copies. If you bought a Toyota and took the badges off would you say it's copy of a Toyota or is it still a Toyota?

I'm not in the business of calling names or telling people to shove phatboys up their arses, so I'll leave that to you. Hope your D2's work out for you.

Cheers

Dan

I totally appreciate the name of the product doesn't mean it's good or bad but, PHATBOY, lets be serious it can't be helping your cause to sell to mature grown ups as the name screams hoodies, corsa's, bling, innit etc etc

Send me a set to fit to my car and i'll do an impartial test on them for you including track day's etc, this could be a back to back test against the stock o/e uk spec brakes as i've recently renewed mine with all brand new calipers, discs, pads etc.

I think a better marketing name would help your cause no end but then im 48 not 18.

All the best

Dunk

Guest dannewton

I appreciate your feedback Dnk, and I'll keep that in mind. But I think I'll keep the name as it is for now. Like I said, the calipers are blank customers are free to place any logo they'd like onto them.

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to make enemies here, but when people start slating my business without even seeing or using my products it's quite annoying to be honest. Give a guy a chance before you knock him to the ground. And one final message to Jihwann, comments I've previously made (excluding the name thing) weren't directed at you so don't take it heart.

Cheers

Dan

I appreciate your feedback Dnk, and I'll keep that in mind. But I think I'll keep the name as it is for now. Like I said, the calipers are blank customers are free to place any logo they'd like onto them.

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to make enemies here, but when people start slating my business without even seeing or using my products it's quite annoying to be honest. Give a guy a chance before you knock him to the ground. And one final message to Jihwann, comments I've previously made (excluding the name thing) weren't directed at you so don't take it heart.

Cheers

Dan

Fair play to you Dan, I am glad there is people out there willing to supply new parts to an old and iconic car.

I have a suggestion.....

There is a well respected member called Chris Wilson, would you be willing to send an eval set to someone like that to review? The member would then send them back or forward onto a member here if they were as good as you claim.

I have a suggestion.....

There is a well respected member called Chris Wilson, would you be willing to send an eval set to someone like that to review? The member would then send them back or forward onto a member here if they were as good as you claim.

Thats a very good suggestion. CW is very well respected in the industry and his evaluation of the said brakes would be extremely useful.

Guest dannewton

Thanks for the suggestion Gav, I appreciate it. i would love to be able to do that, but to be honest I'm a new company starting up, and don't have the funds to be able to do that right now. I don't make a lot of money on selling each kit hence the price I price I sell them for. I understand it's difficult to gain reputation in this business, that's why I'm offering the kits for low price. I also understand that people may think it's a bit risky to buy brakes from a new company that's why I'm selling them cheap, I need people to buy them, test them, and leave feedback on sites such as this. As I said before, I've sold a few already, everyone's happy, no complaints, that's a good start in my book. If you wait a few weeks, once people have had a good test of them I'm sure feedback will start rolling in. Until then there's not a lot I can do.

Thanks for the suggestion Gav, I appreciate it. i would love to be able to do that, but to be honest I'm a new company starting up, and don't have the funds to be able to do that right now. I don't make a lot of money on selling each kit hence the price I price I sell them for. I understand it's difficult to gain reputation in this business, that's why I'm offering the kits for low price. I also understand that people may think it's a bit risky to buy brakes from a new company that's why I'm selling them cheap, I need people to buy them, test them, and leave feedback on sites such as this. As I said before, I've sold a few already, everyone's happy, no complaints, that's a good start in my book. If you wait a few weeks, once people have had a good test of them I'm sure feedback will start rolling in. Until then there's not a lot I can do.

Think of it as marketing, you send a set for CW to evaluate, if they are as good as you say, he posts his feedback and you end up getting 20-30 or even more orders (from this club alone) and CW isnt just known here ;)

food for thought.....

I can understand that, but on the opposite end of the coin, I wouldn't want to spend out £1k on a set of unknown brakes just to find they work/don't work.

If you have as much faith in your product as you appear to promote, then once someone like CW had reviewed them and given a good review they would pretty much sell straight away, of that I'm sure...and the loan set wouldn't leave you out of pocket.

I do understand the whole new business thing and that funds are tight (believe me I know....), but sometimes you have to take a punt.

I have a suggestion.....

I think you should ask CW 1st as i guess he'd probably want paying to spend time fitting and evaluating these brakes for a company.

Hmmm, I did think this afterwards actually :) (I did say some someone like CW I think, hopefully :))

As much as i'd happily do this i think to be done properly there would be a time scale involved of x amount of weeks or months to prove the longevity of the product under everyday road use and track use to boot.

I don't think you can just fit them and go do a few big stops and say yup their good bad or whatever.