The mkiv Supra Owners Club

PHATBOY 8 Piston Big Brake Kit (380x32mm)

Hassan

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok why dont you buy them?? Then fit them??

Test them hard from about 170+ > 0 a few times on the 4th attempt if they fail or you head into a wall, you know there crap. if they last a good few of those and a track day job done. :D

that and the fact the only thing the guy has sold previously is one set of VW brakes and a heap of PS3 games....

As soon as i read the name i didnt need to read any further :D

For me i wouldnt go with any of these budget brakes on a supra, its either the full uk set up, AP's or Brembo's

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Ok why dont you buy them?? Then fit them??

Test them hard from about 170+ > 0 a few times on the 4th attempt if they fail or you head into a wall, you know there crap. if they last a good few of those and a track day job done. :D

Because -

A: I dont need new brakes- I never said I did- I merely said if someone buys them and they turn out to be good let me know..

B: I wouldn't be driving towards a wall if i was testing new *unknown* brakes (but its good idea why dont you buy them and give it a go? make sure you brake late though.. :)

C: If you do buy them and you dont hit the wall and they work out ok let me know..

as previously said: flame away...

gollee gee batman I love internet forums...

Because -

A: I dont need new brakes- I never said I did- I merely said if someone buys them and they turn out to be good let me know..

B: I wouldn't be driving towards a wall if i was testing new *unknown* brakes (but its good idea why dont you buy them and give it a go? make sure you brake late though.. :)

C: If you do buy them and you dont hit the wall and they work out ok let me know..

as previously said: flame away...

gollee gee batman I love internet forums...

this wasnt aimed at you dude, was aimed at the OP. buy them, test them, report results.

easy tiger. :eyebrows:

Let's try here then..

So does anyone actually have any facts/experience that the Ksport brakes are crap? Or are we buying expensive products just because they have a big name like brembo, ap-racing or stoptech? I'm considering getting the ksports so any valid information would be appreciated. Maybe some of you have experience with these? Are they better than the stock tt "big" brakes?

For many people the only problem with these kind of products is the country they are made in. I don't care about that. I just care about how the product works.

I have yet to find anything bad about these. Here is a test from supraforums. The guy seems to think they are good and they definitely stop better than oem brakes. He has been pushing these things quite hard on the track:

http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=504008

Let's try here then..

So does anyone actually have any facts/experience that the Ksport brakes are crap? Or are we buying expensive products just because they have a big name like brembo, ap-racing or stoptech? I'm considering getting the ksports so any valid information would be appreciated. Maybe some of you have experience with these? Are they better than the stock tt "big" brakes?

For many people the only problem with these kind of products is the country they are made in. I don't care about that. I just care about how the product works.

I have yet to find anything bad about these. Here is a test from supraforums. The guy seems to think they are good and they definitely stop better than oem brakes. He has been pushing these things quite hard on the track:

I'm also thinking about ksport & have never heard anything bad about them. I spoke to a lad with an STI who changed his brembos for them & thinks they are far better.

i changed my uk setup with G2 disks with 8 pot / 6 pot D2 . They were crap..... but then i changed the brake pads and they really stop well ...but then again i saved 500 against a set of AP , but had to spend 600 for new race pads... should have gone down the AP route...its the pads thats the key ..

You spend 600 quid on a set of front and rear pads? Surely that must have been like 3 sets of each.

Folks are too quick to judge a brake setup on the pads they come with, which are often rubbish. No matter how good a disc and caliper is - crap pads are crap pads.

These look the colour of Endless pads so may be OK.

Calipers look like Rotora copies with lighter pins in the middle and i see no sign of springs etc.

They might be very good?? any test pilots want to spend a grand?

I have o/e uk on my car and with o/e pads and discs and their more than up to the job of stopping a mkiv even on trackdays.

New calipers, discs, fluid, new pads and braided lines job done and the whole lot for around £1200-£1300

I doubt they will do 170 - 0 lots of times but tell me when do you do this anywhere in the UK either on track or anywhere else.

The biggest differance you get with the AP's etc is less brake fade and better feel through the pedal.

I doubt you'll stop any quicker as stopping quicker is governed by how much friction your tyres have with the surface their on. If you can get the abs kicking in on uk spec brakes then you wont stop any quicker by throwing 8 pot anything at the car, simplez :)

@ Vase:

I have it on good authority, a former K Sport supplier, that the K Sports brakes are no good if the car is tracked on a regular basis. The material in the caliper is prone to annealling when subjected to the greater temp changes.

Its not such a problem if the car is more street based.

He was running these on his own TA car until the problem occurred, they were promptly thrown in the bin. He recommended used OEM 4 pot calipers as a good starting point.

Straight-up kinda guy.

Let's try here then..

I ad one off the very first ksport kits when they were released a few years back on my single turbo supra.

I did have ds2500 pads in their and not crappy k sports pads.

I removed my uk brake setup and fitted these and can honesty say they were much better.

My uk setup was running uprated pads/discs and these were easily better overall.

People can say what they like but i would like to know how many people dissing the cheaper brake kits have actually tried/had them?

People will make all sorts of assumptions but its alll hear say IMO.

I have just ordered a ksport kit for my E46 m3 along with 10 other members on the m3 forum as part of a group buy and most these cars will be tracked.

imho if you want a car to be a track car , its needs no expence spared track brakes. if it is a road car that will ocasionally go on a track for short bursts then oem brakes with good pads should suffice. but thtats just imo , no science there

for what i used the car for im sure k sport would be more than enough , those phat boys would probably do a job with tidy pads while looking the part

On the m3 forum we have a couple guys who already have ksports and been tracking their cars for over a year without issues and 100% positive feedback.

My car is a road car and will be used for odd trackdays here and their, so ksport will be more than enough.

People might say go AP's because of the name but if u do a search and u will find even the big names have had issues here and there!

I had UK brakes on my old v300 aristo.I didnt like them.I think its the weight on the car aswell which is about 250-300kg more than the supra so that makes a diffrence when you are doing a few 150-0 stops.Or maybe it was my blackdiamond pads and dics?

I ad one off the very first ksport kits when they were released a few years back on my single turbo supra.

I did have ds2500 pads in their and not crappy k sports pads.

I removed my uk brake setup and fitted these and can honesty say they were much better.

My uk setup was running uprated pads/discs and these were easily better overall.

People can say what they like but i would like to know how many people dissing the cheaper brake kits have actually tried/had them?

People will make all sorts of assumptions but its alll hear say IMO.

I have just ordered a ksport kit for my E46 m3 along with 10 other members on the m3 forum as part of a group buy and most these cars will be tracked.

Nice to see a reply from a person who has actually used them. :) I've also heard that the ksport brake bads are rubbish so they need changing. There's also a good review in lancerregister about these. http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=177623

@ Vase:

I have it on good authority, a former K Sport supplier, that the K Sports brakes are no good if the car is tracked on a regular basis. The material in the caliper is prone to annealling when subjected to the greater temp changes.

Its not such a problem if the car is more street based.

He was running these on his own TA car until the problem occurred, they were promptly thrown in the bin. He recommended used OEM 4 pot calipers as a good starting point.

Straight-up kinda guy.

The guy in the supraforums tracks his car quite often and hard and so far the brakes have been great. Same goes for the evo guys. There's not that much brake fade compared to the stock supra brakes and also the brake temperatures are lower. Perhaps your friend just uses his brakes even harder and repeadetly from higher speeds? I doubt they perform worse than the stock supra brakes though. However I could be wrong - wouldn't be the first time. :D

So far everyone who actually have these in their supra have said that they perform better than the oem ones. Let's see if someone feels the opposite. :)

does anyone know how much a full set of UK spec's with stainless ADR approved lines n slotted discs in near new condition are worth on todays open market?

just curious- might just put my oney where my mouth is..

then again it might pay for me to keep my UK specs in case they turn out to be cr*p...