The mkiv Supra Owners Club

overboost problem

L33

Its cast rather than tubular welded. Much much cheaper to buy but not shiney and pretty lol. Not sure at what level it becomes a restriction but I believe it is at least 600-800hp.

Would be fine for your application :)

I think they come in at around £300. I was planning on using one more so for the torque advantages.

As Scott correctly pointed out, much cheaper, see the link below:

Treadstone

Using this type of manifold will probably require some fabrication of the downpipe and wastegate pipework.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good find Kev, I hadn't tried hard but I did have a browse for a cast manifold for the 2JZ. Didn't find anything.

Saved that one to my favourites :)

It's also the same one that dandan has used for his single install, though he did enlarge the wastegate section from memory.

just need one i no will go straight on with my other stuff

You will be lucky, xs manifold sits straight where most decent manifolds sit at a slight turn to the engine, meaning ic pipework and downpipe will need modding to install.

If it was me id wait till Ryan has checked it over, could be something simple and the current manifold is fine.

Ok guys thank you

How did you find all those? I spen about half an hour last night typing in different things in google with no such luck!

Hopefully ryan is having my car the last full week of the month so will go careful until then! He did mention some thing about it not holding boost when on the dyno or some thing like that! Was only briefly mentioned

from what i can gather there is no point having a EBC on a Supra,

unless you want to run stupid boost,

or you still have the decats in.

i have mine double decatted, which turns the boost up stupid high.

ive got the restrictor ring in the exhaust, so doesnt go above 1.2Bar (does go to about 1.3bar tho)

get a restrictor ring.

(i have a SAFC for the extra fueling the 1.2bar boost requires, which i admit isnt the best way)

Lude, it's a single turbo and therefore *needs* an EBC.

Bpu rules do not apply :D

Edit -BTW, the OBX ones do look good. Had a good look at one a local chap had bought and though it wasn't exactly HKS/BL/etc standard it was a different world to XS power. Welding was clean and entry points at the collector were even and well finished. Good VFM if they can be shown to last.

Saying that, I'd personally go for the Whifbitz one anyway.

Check out the OBX Racing manifold Lee, I got one fitted and they are excellent. 321 SS with ltd lifetime warranty. I have a HKS 50mm wastegate, awesome combo. :). Priced @ $699 you just can't go wrong.

http://www.obxracingsports.com/products.php?pk=1032

:D :thumbs:

hope u get sorted Lee as people have said get ryan to check it out before considering having to spend anymore wonga on bits u 'mite' not need ;)

Going back to the original issue, what happens if you turn the BC off completely, do you see variable boost then?

It could well be the wastegate exit hole size that a few others have experienced, but best to rule out the basics first.

I haven't tried turning it off yet, I will tomo as I have a long run to a meet.

With the controller off what kind of boost levels should I expect to see? Does the usuall tt boost level still apply even tho I'm single? 0.8 bar I think it is?

As Jamie says, it'll be dependant on the WG spring rate. If your previous lowest run at WOT in 2nd/3rd was 0.8, it would indicate you have a 0.8 bar spring (edit - or lower). However it's best practice not to assume anything when troubleshooting issues!

If you turn the BC off and see if you get a consistent result it will help diagnose.

I hope its something simple mate, you are having a real challenge with this car and you seem very patient, anyone thinking of going single should read your threads first as a must to give them an insight to the ups and down and costs involved

Very true although TBH he has done it the hard way, buying secondhand parts and xs power stuff you are asking for trouble.

New quality parts and somebody that knows what they are doing installing them for trouble free motoring is the only way to go imo.

Cheers for the help guys

it would be nice to see the light at the end of the tunnel

I will try and see what happens tomo

I don't really understand the WG stuff tho? Why is there different spring sizes? What's the benefits of different sizes? And not quite got my head around if the manifold is causin a restriction why it would over boost? In my head I'm thinking restriction/blockage would cause under boost as can't release? I no this is wrong but don't understand why

I have been patient that's why I've had so many problems/been ripped off and walked all over but hey I have my car back :)