The mkiv Supra Owners Club

my tyre reviews

dr_jekyll

Great idea but to have any usefull factual info surely this needs to be done in a test environment on the same tarmac in the same conditions on the same car etc

I read a test a while ago that was done just like this on a wide range of tyres, not sure if ive still got the magazine but overall the ContiSport contact 3 came out on top which is what i use and im very happy with :)

This thread is a good idea. :thumbs: I like the chat format: people's opinions are good, and are somewhat validated if you know who made the comments. For example, if Bugnum said a tyre performs well in the wet, then you can imagine that he's given them a stiff test. If I say they perform well in the wet, then it doesn't mean much at all: I'm driving hard if my rev counter goes over 3500rpm. :)

Great idea but to have any usefull factual info surely this needs to be done in a test environment on the same tarmac in the same conditions on the same car etc

I read a test a while ago that was done just like this on a wide range of tyres, not sure if ive still got the magazine but overall the ContiSport contact 3 came out on top which is what i use and im very happy with :)

It varies from Supra to Supra though, let alone car to car. A test environment would be ideal, but that's not going to happen, so we'll have to rely on user reviews, like in this thread.

It varies from Supra to Supra though, let alone car to car. A test environment would be ideal, but that's not going to happen, so we'll have to rely on user reviews, like in this thread.

i thinki its good to have different conditions.

for instance , i cant remember the last time i did a 3 mile drive without being on at least 3 different types of tarmack.

• 3 months later...

front 235/40/18 32psi

rear 275/35/18 30 psi

over the last 2 month i have tryed th e conti sc2s

the conti is a verry different tyre to the pirelli i tested previously.

the first thing i noticed was the readyness of the conti, it seemed to work well from cold straght from the go but i feel faded slightly after extended periods of hard driving as apposed to the p-zero that got stronger and inspired more confidence as i got hotter.

in the dry i thaught the tyre didnt offer much in the way of liniar grip straight line eccelaration was allways a struggle with the rear of the car dancing around if i tryed a fast start from a stand still and the change from 1st to second had to be smooth and hesitand or i feel the car would have hapily turned me around.

on the other hand the lateral grip was exelent i had good confidence in the tyre at reasonable cornering speed and the nose of the car turned in verry well and i had no issues with understeer or oversteer . it all felt verry nutral in mid- high speed corners.

in the wet the story was much the same as there dry performance , good in corners from cold but harsh straight line accelaration on a wet floor was a big no.

The contis i found degraded alot faster than the p-zeros as i expected as i belive these to be a softer compound than the pirelli. this would tie in with other charicteristic i found from the tyre. i managed ti stripp 4mm of even wear from the rears in little over 3 months and took the fronts from 7mm to 4mm in the same time . this was with road use only.

Overall i was plesantly suprised with the conti sport 2 mainly for the way it was ready to go from the off and as a road tyre on a performance car i thaught this was a good thing wear as with the p-zero they need to be warm to work and this could be tricky with early morning brakeing on the mad run to work.

i would reccoment the continental sprt contact 2 to people that use the car purely as a road car and as a daily driver . i feel if it was used for track days it would sufffer with fast wear and possibly have poor performance due to overheating.

as i dont currently have the funds to do another full test on a set i had to buy a set of tyres to keep for a while and i found myself slotting another set of p-zeros on the car

As far as road radials went I liked RE050A, but like all tyres they are temp dependant, in Feb/Mar even on a dry day wheelspin is tricky, but recently they perform superbly in wet or dry.

R888 I LOVE but they last five mins but what a great five mins :)

Most peoples handicap on turn in is lack of caster, if your not running 5.5 + then the front end will always be an issue and steering response slow.

Too much rear camber is not smart either, however you can run more on R888's as they are designed for more camber.

Toe in on the front sucks too BTW. Zero or very slightly out is good :)

• 4 weeks later...