The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cheapest place for oem discs these days?

miko_supra

Well ive just changed my disc and pads from OEM to 3G just because i fancied something different to be honest.

I had no choice but to get them changed because my OEM ones were so warped it was unbelievable, my brake pedal just felt like it was trying to push my foot back and my car just did not want to stop!

And i also read on here that there is nothing wrong with OEM discs but another good set up is 3G with CW pads and when i spoke to Chris he seemed to think it was a good set up, so thats what i went with but i would happily change back to OEM as long as they didnt warp like they did last time.

How did they warp that badly ? ive been using o/e brakes for 13 yrs on mkiv supras and never had a disc warp even a little bit let alone as you describe.

What condition were the discs in ? were they heavily worn so reduced in their thickness, were you using o/e pads, did they warp on the track or on rd use ?

Wow some unnecessary friction (pun intended) in this thread. The original poster asked where to get OEM discs. Then others about post about other makes, which is nothing to do with the original post. If anyone wants to start a thread about personal subjective opinions of the numerous brake products out there, feel free to do so.

It is very common for posts to advocate X product over stock, when replacing worn out OEM componants. Hardly a objective comparision, when the OEM product may be beyond recommend wear limits. The only possible objective test would be to compare the new products back to back under carefully controlled conditions. Anything else is subjective opinion and nothing more.

How did they warp that badly ? ive been using o/e brakes for 13 yrs on mkiv supras and never had a disc warp even a little bit let alone as you describe.

What condition were the discs in ? were they heavily worn so reduced in their thickness, were you using o/e pads, did they warp on the track or on rd use ?

I was using o/e pads as well and no i've never tracked the car its only been road use and obviously a bit of fun on some back "private" roads etc

I dont know why it happened and i dont really know if they were reduced in thickness i would have to ask dude as AFR changed them for me but dude can vouch for how shockingly bad they were.

I bought 3g groved discs direct from 3g once and never again the things warped so now got oem and no problems

I read about someone having the same issue. They managed to get another set through warranty but were warned to make sure they bed the discs in properly. Putting them on and hoofing the brakes within a short time would do this.

Wow some unnecessary friction (pun intended) in this thread. The original poster asked where to get OEM discs. Then others about post about other makes, which is nothing to do with the original post. If anyone wants to start a thread about personal subjective opinions of the numerous brake products out there, feel free to do so.

It is very common for posts to advocate X product over stock, when replacing worn out OEM componants. Hardly a objective comparision, when the OEM product may be beyond recommend wear limits. The only possible objective test would be to compare the new products back to back under carefully controlled conditions. Anything else is subjective opinion and nothing more.

Totally agree, it is also the norm to advocate sock products over X. In a lot of time there are firm facts. In this case there are only opinions... in my opinion lol.

The one issue I did read was of them warping if not bed in properly, as above.

If we are looking for cheap rubbish try ebay, you can get 4 drilled and grooved discs for £180 including postage. They must be good because they have holes and grooves and they look nice too.

Alright,

No need for the arrogant remark from you.

If I want cheap comments I'd ask you, ok.

I think Termi is just trying to keep things on-topic , as in lets find the cheapest place to buy O.E.M disc's. :)

Im not so sure and to be honest the threads all over the shop and im as guilty as anyone for dragging it off topic, its not really life threatening or a technical thread so getting wound up about it is a bit daft in my book.

Most threads in here dont stay on topic for long from what i see.

No need for the arrogant remark from you.

Nothing arrogant about it. I thought your link was intend to illustrate the point of my post, but judging by your reaction, that was not your intention.

The original post ask for OEM prices, I presume that is because he wanted guaranteed quality at least up to manufacturers specifications. There is huge money in the after market parts business, much of what is out there is junk. When it comes to brakes and tires, which are all that keeps you from hitting anyone, quality should be the first and only consideration.