The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Alright everybody.. new kid on the block

Guest S25-DAN

Oh forgot to mention when I read the title, I was expecting this! :D

http://lemonpepper.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/new-kids-on-the-block-this-ones-for-the-303510.jpg

theyd look better posing over a supra lol

You want to see New Kids on the Block draped over a Supra? You twisted individual :D

Welcome to the club Dan! Nice to see people joining up without the whole text speak language everywhere and realistic targets :thumbs:

Like the photos, and definitely the females!

Try and buy a member's NA if you can - Dave's facelift NA is a very nice example. Maybe stretch a budget to a Auto TT - as others have said, don't write them off. There are many debates over the gearboxes... I have a GZ Aero TT - and right now I'm binning the idea of a 6 speed conversion as I enjoy using the autobox - unless I go single turbo, that's how it stays. Don't worry about the TT performance either, if you've driven anything decent that's modern I don't see TT's as a massive jump anymore. It'll only do something stupid if you demand something stupid. Insurance is another thing altogether, but there are some young TT owners...

Anyway as others have said, browse the forum and see what the place is all about and what cars are for sale. See you around.

Andy.

Guest S25-DAN
You want to see New Kids on the Block draped over a Supra? You twisted individual :D

Welcome to the club Dan! Nice to see people joining up without the whole text speak language everywhere and realistic targets :thumbs:

Like the photos, and definitely the females!

Try and buy a member's NA if you can - Dave's facelift NA is a very nice example. Maybe stretch a budget to a Auto TT - as others have said, don't write them off. There are many debates over the gearboxes... I have a GZ Aero TT - and right now I'm binning the idea of a 6 speed conversion as I enjoy using the autobox - unless I go single turbo, that's how it stays. Don't worry about the TT performance either, if you've driven anything decent that's modern I don't see TT's as a massive jump anymore. It'll only do something stupid if you demand something stupid. Insurance is another thing altogether, but there are some young TT owners...

Anyway as others have said, browse the forum and see what the place is all about and what cars are for sale. See you around.

Andy.

My dads got a Scooby WRX that's been chipped up, obviously it's not going to be as powerful as a tt supra but I have no problem handling that, LOVE the feel of the turbo too..

I wasn't sure if it was you or not Marc, when it say's your from barbados it threw my a little bit... Is your's a N/A manual?

Would I be able to come see it when I'm next back home?

My dads got a Scooby WRX that's been chipped up, obviously it's not going to be as powerful as a tt supra but I have no problem handling that, LOVE the feel of the turbo too..

I wasn't sure if it was you or not Marc, when it say's your from barbados it threw my a little bit... Is your's a N/A manual?

Yup, mine's an N/A manual, not used it for about 3 months(apart from the occasional startup to keep it ticking over nicely) so have found out that it's run out of MOT and Tax so I will need to give it a fresh MOT and 6 months tax, your welcome to come see it beforehand but I would like to get it MOT realistically before you see it so you can take it for a test drive etc.

Guest S25-DAN

That'd be brilliant Marc, just out of curiosity.... How much would you be wanting with the TRD spoiler and wheels? Or are they staying with you?

Also what's the milage?

What ever you do don't go trying to throw a supra around like a wrx it wont end in a pretty way. Have you got a budget to work with.

Welcome to the club Dan :)

How old are you? Just for reference re insurance! I'm 21 and got insured on a TT for £950 with everything declared. Worth keeping it in mind depending on how much you have to spend running the thing! They can be thirsty!

I drove an N/A before driving a TT to see what they were like, I preferred the TT. Figured I would be sitting wishing I put that little bit more into it to get the TT if I had opted otherwise. Of course it all depends what you want from it!

Seeing that you like a show car - from your Mini pics - you may go down the route of an N/A and style it and in time do a TT conversion. This would give you visuals for now until you can afford/insure a TT? Doing this you'd either want an auto or a facelift SZ-R (that's the fancier N/A) manual as they had a 6 speed gearbox.

I may be overloading you with info that doesn't make sense just now though! :lol:

Have a good read through alot of the guides and stickied threads here, it opens up so much info to you! A very useful place this forum!

Have fun!

:thumbs:Welcome to the club and as already mention, nice to see a decent first post for a change.

I drive an N/A manual and it does the job,

but I am hankering for more power now, so just remember an N/A is what it is...........A gorgous looking car that is quickish but not fast;)

Guest S25-DAN
What ever you do don't go trying to throw a supra around like a wrx it wont end in a pretty way. Have you got a budget to work with.

like i said in my first post, I'm not the kinda person to try push a car to the edge, that mini's never seen over 90 whilst I've had it.

I'm hoping to get around £7k for the mini, so I've got that to spend, the insurance is done through my fathers company, so if i did go for a N/A then the insurance might put an extra £200 or so on top of what it is at the mo, a TT I don't think I'd get insured on that policy until I'm 25.

I'm 21 in June and that's when the bracket opens as to what I can get insured on.

I think that I'm going to have to just go out and try driving an N/A, TT, manual, auto etc, and just see which suits me best.

Is there a big difference between the 5 speed and 6 speed manual (other than an extra gear :D )

Also, might seem a bit of a daft question but I'm around 6ft3, do supra's have good head/leg room?..

welcome along :)

and its not always about the age its the mentality you have behind the wheel :) as long as your not pretending to be a star in the fast and the furious your A ok

p.s i owned a supra turbo at 20 ;)

heres one i spotted today its mark_p's its v nice anyway haha

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=207637

Edited by shima60 (see edit history)

Is there a big difference between the 5 speed and 6 speed manual (other than an extra gear :D )

Depends what you want from the car in the end really!

The 5 speed box can take up to about 400-450bhp before it starts to struggle a bit.

The 6 speed (Getrag gearbox) can take about 1400bhp! They are extremely strong!

This is why I was suggesting a facelift SZ-R if you want a manual N/A and would have big plans as it already has the right box! :)

My Supra was a non facelift SZ (non turbo 5 speed). It had a TT conversion so now is a 5 speed TT. It has different ratios to the 6 speed and - IMO - feels faster especially from a start. The only problem is that once I get it to BPU levels I'm kinda stuck.

In other words, if you go for a big single turbo conversion or big twins then you really need the 6 speed without it flaking!

:)

Guest S25-DAN

Yea I've always been envious of marc's supra...

I think that after hearing that some of you have got insured on TT's at a fairly young age I should get in touch with the insurance company and see what kind of figures they throw back at me.

Guest S25-DAN
Depends what you want from the car in the end really!

The 5 speed box can take up to about 400-450bhp before it starts to struggle a bit.

The 6 speed (Getrag gearbox) can take about 1400bhp! They are extremely strong!

This is why I was suggesting a facelift SZ-R if you want a manual N/A and would have big plans as it already has the right box! :)

My Supra was a non facelift SZ (non turbo 5 speed). It had a TT conversion so now is a 5 speed TT. It has different ratios to the 6 speed and - IMO - feels faster especially from a start. The only problem is that once I get it to BPU levels I'm kinda stuck.

In other words, if you go for a big single turbo conversion or big twins then you really need the 6 speed without it flaking!

:)

I'll be honest, at the moment I'm not looking for something that's going to scare me, I'd be more than happy with a quick N/A and working my way up.

I'm just going to have to go out and see how everything feels.

I am more just trying to point ya out as to what the options are :)

It just depends on plans! :)

For instance, there's not much point in buying an auto N/A or a 5 speed N/A if you planned on - eventually - having a high powered manual Supra ya know. No point in the engine conversion AND the gearbox conversion. That's almost the cost of buying one with either the engine OR the gearbox in the first place! :)

Guest S25-DAN
welcome along :)

and its not always about the age its the mentality you have behind the wheel :) as long as your not pretending to be a star in the fast and the furious your A ok

p.s i owned a supra turbo at 20 ;)

heres one i spotted today its mark_p's its v nice anyway haha

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=207637

Which insurance company we're you with and how much we're you paying if you don't mind me asking?