The mkiv Supra Owners Club

na , tt , single

Guest johnwd

It's hard to say really wether a TT is more reliable than a single. On the one hand, the TT setup was designed by Toyota at great cost, and obviously there's alot of back up for the stock twin turbo setup. However, going single replaces a pair of ageing turbos (some will be 17 years old this year!) and the associated hardware (hoses that can be prone to splitting with age etc) Single setups can also be much better on fuel.

I found my single to be more reliable than my TT was, however it all depends on the quality of the installation and the components used, and also the condition of the car that's being converted.

If you're really concerned about speed, I wouldn't even consider an NA. A TT will be enough for alot and at horsepower levels approaching 400+ will be VERY fast for a road car. With all the massive horsepower figures being banded about on the internet, 400 might not seem alot but it really will be the match of most cars and will easily top 180mph. Singles can vary greatly from being just over BPU performance, to 1000hp drag monsters and everything in between.

I hope this helps, good look with your decision.

I started my Supra expierience with a 550bhp single so can't comment on a TT or NA, but as I use mine as a daily drive I can assure you it's smooth, responsive, and when needed a compete animal.

As with any car you get used to how you can drive it on given conditions. In the wet going WOT in any of the 1st 3 gears is pointless unless you like going sideways, on a nice dry day traction is superb.

Servicing a single isn't any more expensive, as if I owned a standard TT I'd still want to be servicing it at the same kind of intervals. The only 'extra' costs you'd need to factor in is fuel and insurance although my insurance is rather reasonable at £650 a year (Sky Insurance).

Mine's actually currently for sale (see link in sig) for £13,500, so your budget isn't miles off ;)

For every good and reliable single conversion there are loads that are just a nightmare as corners have been cut, the basic agreement would be that to get a truly reliable single conversion done will cost upwards of 13K. To put a 500 plus BHP conversion on a 100,000 miler engine without rebuilding it first is foolish. The costs go on... As for whether it's worth it just do the maths and decide how much you are happy to lose when you come to try and sell it, bcause lose you will, big time. The same will go for almost any road car you buy and then start modding, just burning notes in a Wok is often less stressful.

I dont own a supra either (yet) but have had a test drive in an auto and a manual, both BPU and they felt like more than enough power for the road. Although, i can see why you would look into a single. By hearing what people say about them, they sound awesome.

Id love to have a ride in one to see what all the fuss is about!

heard on the site that full bpu+++ uk supra will be travelling at 120mph before a single conversion passes. think it was little nun. there would be few exceptions i am sure 700+hp cars.

Anything is possible if one car gets a good start and the other dont, when i was 550bhp TDR beat me in his bpu auto by 0.2 seconds at suprapod 2008 but he was running drag setup/auto/high stall and kicked my arse off the line.

He was pretty much an exception though tbh, on the whole a good single car will murder bpu no matter how many pluses you put behind it.

well i think im gonna save up more and wait for a single think in the long run if i got a TT and got used to the power and wanted a single it would cost me alot more than if i had waited for the right car but thanks for all your comments on the matter.