The mkiv Supra Owners Club

my turbo has died :(

L33

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant remember exactly but it was something to with machining the housings out for more clearance I think, they aren't designed to take the heat they are put through in the aftermarket world so tend to warp. Your right though, you pay that money you expect the best.

The reasons for the Garrett exhaust housings failures on the Garrett GT4088 series are outlined here

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=185525&highlight=GT4088

and here

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=165183&highlight=GT4088

I have had no problems with using the Precision housing for the last two years, and i believe a few others are also fine using this exhaust housing, i believe that high EGTs and mapping has a big part to play in the case of the Garret housings as they where designed for diesel engines.

So that would fall in with the reasons for the housing being machined for more clearance in order to run them on a petrol car.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky (see edit history)

If I remember well, JamieP's 800cc were maxed out at 630 bhp.

I plan to upgrade my 720's to 850 when going for a BW unit.

Its not all about injector size, that 630bhp was at 100% duty (not recomended but i was willing to take the risk)and i was on stock fuel lines and fpr, imo if you want anything over 600bhp its worth going for a full fuel system.

I have twin pumps, all braided lines to front of car for twin entry feed into a modified stock fuel rail :) not sure about manifold ive emailed the garage to ask about the twin thing

XS power are undivided http://www.xs-power.co.uk/images/2jzgte46128.jpg sorry but if im honest with you id junk that and put a proper manifold on it, id hate to see a weld fall off and kill your new turbo.

Its not all about injector size, that 630bhp was at 100% duty (not recomended but i was willing to take the risk)and i was on stock fuel lines and fpr, imo if you want anything over 600bhp its worth going for a full fuel system.

Did you ever try out the fpd removal pipe on this setup? Steve L is running 650bhp on stock fuel rail, 800cc injectors, Bosch 044, his duty was around 86% I believe.

Exactly, I know someone who makes some tasty manifolds :search:

I have to agree, nicest looking manifold ive seen.

Did you ever try out the fpd removal pipe on this setup? Steve L is running 650bhp on stock fuel rail, 800cc injectors, Bosch 044, his duty was around 86% I believe.

Yeah i had one of yours on it, i bet he has a uprated FPR? i was on stock fuel pressure/stock FPR.

Behave mate 610 bhp on 650 injectors. I did have 800cc but when the first emu was faulty and couldnt turn duty cycle down the garage thought it was injectors so i dropped down to 650 but had to sell the 800 first. If i dont make 600 i will change in the future. Just want it back. If im struggling to afford new turbo a manifold isnt a option. Where so much has gone wrong its threw my budget very wrong so dont have the extra floating cash that was there to start with to keep buying new parts :( like on my 3rd ecu and second high stall. Thats almost 2k there!

Behave mate 610 bhp on 650 injectors. I did have 800cc but when the first emu was faulty and couldnt turn duty cycle down the garage thought it was injectors so i dropped down to 650 but had to sell the 800 first. If i dont make 600 i will change in the future. Just want it back. If im struggling to afford new turbo a manifold isnt a option. Where so much has gone wrong its threw my budget very wrong so dont have the extra floating cash that was there to start with to keep buying new parts :( like on my 3rd ecu and second high stall. Thats almost 2k there!

I do, but its mapped with meth injection and use custom fuel lines with no restrictions. Even so, its close to 95% DC.

Some more bad news im affraid. We wanted to fit your egt probe yesterday, we made the decission to fit it in the turbo exhaust housing. To fit it we removed the turbo form the manifold and seperated the two sides of the turbo with the aim of drilling and tapping the exhauts side of the turbo to fit the probe, once we opened up the turbo we found some nasties. The blade on the exhaust wheel are badly damaged, I have taken some pics that I will send over, the damage is serious and extensive and i doubt this turbo will make more than a few psi of boost. The stupid thing is the turbo to manifold gasket used was the wrong type, the one fitted was for a twin scroll turbo meaning the gasket had a devider ( not present on your turbo) the dividing section has simple burnt away and is most likely what killed the blades, loose bits of exhaust gasket in that area is not good.

Will send over the pics soon.

That sucks, hope you get it all sorted soon.

If i get 599.9 bhp i guess i will be happy and call it 600 LOL :)

i think in this one statement lies a lot of your problems mate, maybe not setting the sights quite as high and building up to this figure you seem to have set yourself would have made for a smoother path, but fair play for trying and maybe 2010 will bring some better luck :D