The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Yellowing lights - Hydrogen Peroxide

jackso11

Guest ShocK GunZ
Cant be bothered to read all the way through this thread but has anyone mention silver polish? I use that on my headlights and they always comeout well.

Actually the discussion are the pros and cons of the various cleaning methods.

Some are promoting sandpaper/ which is used in resurfacing

Others polish / less aggressive and damaging than sandpaper

My choice is a non abrasive liquid deoxidizer.

Anyone who has had experience with headlight oxidation understand that it's going to come back.

That is normal,

How quickly oxidation returns and how much damage is done by a repetitive use of certain materials is at question.

Silver polish is abrasive.

As a coin collector I can tell you that silver polish should only be used on silverware.

The abrasives in silver polish can wear off silver which is much harder than a plastic or the uV layer protecting it.

Some are suggesting cleaning the inside of the lens.

That's pretty involved and seems like it would take a degree of skill and a lot of time to accomplish.

I think at that point in time it's probably best to look for a replacement. Since oxidation is an external problem that method would not considered.

Since no method can last forever, products that claim the results will last forever should be dismissed as ignorant of the facts relating the formation of acrylic oxidation.

If all products or methods are equally capable of removing oxidation, which product or method would produce the best results over a long period of time causing the least amount of damage to the surface of the lens being cleaned.

Pictures would of actual cleanings and the aftermath a couple of months later, would provide tangible research data and put a end to a question we all should know the answer to.

Which is the safest and least abrasive method available for removing naturally reoccurring acrylic headlight oxidation.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an old thread that I'm kicking up but it may be useful to the yellow lens issue to recount my own experience.

I bought a lens refurb kit off ebay and tried it on an old lens that I had exchanged several years ago due to it being strongly yellowed. Upshot was it came up pretty good with finger application (no hours of grinding and polishing). The kit had two bottles of treatment followed by polish. The treatment bottle smelled very familiar, Brasso I thought. So I reached for the cupboard and grabbed an old bottle that has sat there for years, same smell and same colour. Off I went to do the second replaced lens and yup it worked too. So a simple finger (in a surgical glove) work in with Brasso followed by ordinary car polish restored the yellowed lights to a very good clarity, I'd estimate 90% of original from a pretty deep yellow. If the Brasso had been mechanically polished into the lens surface the finish may have been further improved or possibly the lenses may have suffered abrasion. I'll leave that for someone else to check out.

• 3 years later...