The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Yellowing lights - Hydrogen Peroxide

jackso11

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For an update, I have finally managed to get the hydrogen peroxide delivered! So will be testing shortly.

Also, I have contacted the company about re-chroming the plastic and had a quote of £70 for the pair, which I think is good. I am going to ask them if it is possible to re-chrome just the rings but as there would be more work involved for detail I would guess that would cost more.

I will have some before and after pics :) infact, I will get the before ones up tonight.

I wish I was still working with my headlights that came on the car, you couldn't even see the bulbs they were so yellow!

I have some now, not clear which is the all important part.

If this works I will have a bath of hydrogen peroxide so could do a few members. Wait on the results first though :)

Apart from this what have you guys found works well?? I used t-cut and a buffer there last saturday and they came up pretty well.... in fairness tho before hand they resembled two blocks of cheese atached to the front!!!

I used t-cut for a while on my facelift lights and the results were okish. Much much more effective (and seemingly much longer lasting) has been using Autosol metal polish. Prepare for a very yellow cloth as all the yellow comes off! then I finish off/protect with meguiars nxt metal polish. It only took me about 15-20mins per light and they look as good as new.

I used metal polish with an electric polisher, yes they look good but not as good as new.

The attached picture is mine now, look good in a picture but not crystal clear in real life.

New development on the peroxide idea, I have found a method of making Hydrogen Peroxide Gel which can be painted on to the light. If this works it could in theory be done on the car without removing the lights! Although I wouldn't recommend it that way due to possible paint damage.....which I will not be trying out for test purposes.

DSC01057.jpg

I am very keen on seeing the results... I would also be up for letting you have a bash with mine (providing it works) how did you split the lense off the headlight? I know people suggest the oven, others a heat gun or sometimes a hairdryer.

I used the oven to get the last lot of lenses off, 200 Degrees C for 5 minutes......which I do not recommend! I read that in a write up on here. It does work at that temp but I burnt the edge of one off the lenses so there is a little white strip on the edge.

Next time I will double the time and halve the temp.

haha.

They are Toora wheels, I want to change them as I like my wheels to be wheels I have chosen. They need re-furbing too. flaking paint, not much kurbing damage to them at all so should be easy and inexpensive to sort them.

I think they are 8" all round though, ideal for an NA, not for a TT really.

Just found them here....

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=toora+wheels&FORM=BIFD#focal=f8b99cc618b6b6b4dd4053ecd795b6ca&furl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gtstudio.ee%2Fest%2Fwheels%2Ftoora_T950.jpg

T950 - 18" and only come in 8JJ so mine must be 8JJ all round.

haha.

They are Toora wheels, I want to change them as I like my wheels to be wheels I have chosen. They need re-furbing too. flaking paint, not much kurbing damage to them at all so should be easy and inexpensive to sort them.

I think they are 8" all round though, ideal for an NA, not for a TT really.

Just found them here....

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=toora+wheels&FORM=BIFD#focal=f8b99cc618b6b6b4dd4053ecd795b6ca&furl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gtstudio.ee%2Fest%2Fwheels%2Ftoora_T950.jpg

T950 - 18" and only come in 8JJ so mine must be 8JJ all round.

They are my wheels, 18" and I run 235s all around. Ideal in this rubbish weather... but I have a set of Racing Hart CRs awaiting fitment when this weather goes away. Then our cars will look different!

Seriously, I had to double take. GREAT looking supra ;) :thumbs:

I discovered that the process works with a reaction from UV light so I can only really do this at the weekend when I can check on it outside through the day.

I bought a black light bulb to use and realised I don't have a lamp to put it in. :(

Hopefully this weekend I will be able to get to it.

• 4 weeks later...

At last I have had a spare day!!

Right, getting all the ingredients at th correct stregth has taken a while, then having spare time to do it took ages too but I have made the gel like foam stuff and put it on the lenses.

The lights looked like this before...

attachment.php?attachmentid=105646&stc=1&d=1266875202

and like this now...

attachment.php?attachmentid=105647&stc=1&d=1266875228

I have left the gel on for 24 hours but have decided to leave it on 48 before rinsing off. They are looking pretty good now when I move the gel off.

Fina pics will be up tomorrow :D

IMG_0620.jpg

IMG_0622.jpg

These are a spare set of lights. The set on my car were way worse than that! You could hardly see the bulbs! But I sanded them before finding out this method. I am hoping that as this effectively bleaches the colour out, this will be a way of making them clear without changing the original surface, therefore not removing the original UV protection. This should mean that it will take years for them to yellow again rather than months.

I will be rinsing these in about 12 hours :)

Guest ShocK GunZ
These are a spare set of lights. The set on my car were way worse than that! You could hardly see the bulbs! But I sanded them before finding out this method. I am hoping that as this effectively bleaches the colour out, this will be a way of making them clear without changing the original surface, therefore not removing the original UV protection. This should mean that it will take years for them to yellow again rather than months.

I will be rinsing these in about 12 hours :)

If you are looking for a easy safe 100% non abrasive method to remove the yellow and even brown oxidation in seconds, try an acrylic lens deoxidizer.

http://www.ibc34.com/Before-and-After.html

It will not harm the UV layer or damage the lens surface

You can keep the oxidation from coming back or forming on new headlights with an acrylic conditioner.