The mkiv Supra Owners Club

charcoal canistr removal

Chris and Alana

• 1 year later...

3 pipes on charcoal canister, listed below with direction of flow.

1 goes to induction vacuum.

1 comes from fuel tank.

1 goes to drain.

Remove vacuum pipe from inlet manifold and cap it off.

Pipe to fuel tank can be capped, or removed completely and blanked off on tank.

Drainpipe can be left open, or removed completely.

Simples !

Hi All.

I'd appreciate a bit of help, my charcoal canister has been removed and I get a lot of fuel smell when I crank the car at startup. it's been to a few mechanics still this hasn't been resolved and its very frustrating.

Attached is a pic of how the pipes are at the moment. You mention THREE pipes, I can only see TWO, would appreciate it if someone can look at the pic and let me know if this is correct or not.

I removed the charcoal canister from my engine bay several months ago. I blocked both the vacuum pipe and the vent from the tank and thought no more of it.

I fitted a new fuel pump to the car yesterday. Following the guide, I disconnected the power supply to the pump and cranked the engine for a few seconds to relieve pressure in the system.

Then I went to open the pipes on the top of the tank but no matter which pipe I tried disconnecting first petrol kept shooting from it like it was still being pumped!

I was expecting a bit of a spray on removal of a pipe but after attempting to remove a pipe about half a dozen times and being met by the same continuous gusher each and every time I figured something was amiss. So I removed to fuel cap with a massive release of pressure which, believe it or not, solved the problem. Believing the cap is supposed to vent excess pressure I had to investigate so I removed the gubbins from the cap to get a clearer picture.

Upon inspection I've come to the conclusion that the cap is NOT a vent for excess pressure, the valve in the cap is purely one way only and the only job it has is to allow air INTO the tank to replace spent fuel and so reduces strain on the fuel pump.

So with that in mind does anyone think that the vent pipe I/we blocked when the canister was removed should be reinstated as a vent of some kind?

Well if the tank does indeed need a vent, and my pump fitting fiasco would suggest it does, then it would need to be vent properly. A plain pipe for a vent is simply not a good idea. Should the car roll the petrol in the tank has an uninhibited exit point and depending on where the pipe vents it is a good recipe for a disaster.

I think I will invest in one of these, it can't hurt.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/fuel-tank-vent-valves/mocal-in-tank-breather-valve-3

• 2 weeks later...
:think:

I have looked into the charcoal canister removal mod, and it appears that no one has thought the job through properly!

The Supra fuel tank and pump are designed to operate at a positive pressure of 2psi.

The fuel filler cap, is a 2psi relief valve, maintaining pressure on charcoal filter up to 2psi and gently venting excess.

Without the pressure drain gurgling through the charcoal filter, the cap has a little more relieving to do.

3 pipes on charcoal canister, listed below with direction of flow.

1 goes to induction vacuum.

1 comes from fuel tank.

1 goes to drain.

Remove vacuum pipe from inlet manifold and cap it off.

Pipe to fuel tank can be capped, or removed completely and blanked off on tank.

Drainpipe can be left open, or removed completely.

Simples !

A tidier job and minor weight reduction is made by removing pipes and blanking at source.

ANY other plumbing arrangement is a Supra Old Wives Tale and WILL cause 'issues'.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~:sos: :wtf: # :limp::secret: # :wasnotme: Supra Old Wives Tale :baa::baa: # :wasnotme:

:tumble: :tumble:==================

:scare: :scared: :tumble: :tumble:=============

:amen:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~:telephone::run::hunter:

BUSTED

:thumbs:

Maybe I should have used a few more smiley's?