The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just had my NA on the dyno..... not good

Neil-NA

the flat spot in the midrange will be down to the nur spec mate... When i had it over it seems to pull fine and didnt feel lazy like some NA's

200 at fly isnt bad for its age, there are alot worse number out there. Suppose you could get CR checked to see if theres any issues internaly, loss of compression on an NA will mean a loss of overall power

Edited by Kirk (see edit history)

Guest Suprafly

As long as the engine has been properly serviced throughout it's lifetime it shouldn't loose any power at all, from the factory it should actually be down on power until it's properly been run in.

I'd change the entire ignition system ie rotor arm, dizzy cap, leads, plugs etc so you can be sure of a good lean burn then get it back onto the rollers.

As long as the engine has been properly serviced throughout it's lifetime it shouldn't loose any power at all, from the factory it should actually be down on power until it's properly been run in.

I'd change the entire ignition system ie rotor arm, dizzy cap, leads, plugs etc so you can be sure of a good lean burn then get it back onto the rollers.

all been done minus the rotor arm as it was fine

I am pretty sure with age with you will lose some power. You have to understand that block is 15 years old, its been through rain & shine! Its been through a number of owners who have looked after it differently. On top of all that you have things like transmission & aftermarket mods (which don't always increase bhp, sometimes decrease it). An if not to make matters worse things like air humidity & the rollers used could have quite an effect on end result.

I've never been to a rolling road before & on the 6th Dec will be my first one. If I can just reach over 300bhp I'd be happy, if I get anything under I will be laughed at, but I don't care as I am a better driver than you! :D

My car pulls well & Adnan has driven it & confirms that, as long as your happy with how the engine is pulling then it should be all good. If your worry I've try getting another Supra NA to compare against.

I'm going to give it a few weeks of hard driving and then take it back to see if it made the slightest bit of difference.

I know from previous experience on mx5s that it makes a big difference if you drive the car hard so i will see if this does the same.

Not too worried about it, just didnt think it would have dropped nearly 20 hp, still feels alright :cool:

As said I really wouldn't worry about it. The last time I was at Mascrat I was talking to a GTO guy that had been to that place in Bolton for a dyno run and it was down on power compared to Hyper and another one he'd been too. Now saying that it could be that the Bolton one is accurate and the other two were reading high but that is the problem with Dyno's.

If it drives ok thats the main thing. Theres quite a few NA in the NW section, and I'm sure if you pop down to a meet one of the NA owners would come out with you or take you out in theirs, just so you can see how it compares. :)

As said I really wouldn't worry about it. The last time I was at Mascrat I was talking to a GTO guy that had been to that place in Bolton for a dyno run and it was down on power compared to Hyper and another one he'd been too. Now saying that it could be that the Bolton one is accurate and the other two were reading high but that is the problem with Dyno's.

If it drives ok thats the main thing. Theres quite a few NA in the NW section, and I'm sure if you pop down to a meet one of the NA owners would come out with you or take you out in theirs, just so you can see how it compares. :)

Will be at the xmas do so will ask around then.

Hmmm, the guy said it just feels sluggish. Just worried that there might be a problem.

hmm, maybe due to no turbo's? :p

only joking mate, does sound about right for the age though, were you doubting the car's performance before the rolling road?

you've also got to remember there are alot of variables when doing a power run with a car, for 1, how well calibrated is the RR?

Then you have things like ambient temperature, engine temp etc.

As a comparison, John (hodge) ran his (now retired) N/A car on the RR the other week and made (IIRC) 208bhp

well said

I think alot of people jumped on the "clarkson" bandwagon after he done that feature on Top gear with old supercars amd a mobile dyno showing how much bhp they'd lost over the years.

i too am of the opinion that as long as a car is well serviced and maintained there should be no reason for it to loose bhp

mine has to have atleast 200 otherwise it will be worthless to me in the future

Why is that? I suspect that many cars on here are running less bhp than their owners think. I wouldn't be too surprised if my NA is in the high 100s as opposed to low 200s, but it doesn't affect anything unless I decide to use it for racing (not going to happen).