The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BPU performance what to expect, any set up options?

DSK

Here is a comparison. This is my car (uk auto 1.3 bar). I would like to get it redone once ive had my little boost issue sorted out. The RR had issueing getting the car to stay in geer. they hadnt done an auto supe before. although i told them about manu mode.

The driveability gets better. You wont loose torque.

BPU

383.7 BHP at the flywheel

303.3 BHP at the wheels

379.4 ft/lb (514.5 Nm) Torque

STOCK

320bhp

315lb-ft

Edited by Guigsy (see edit history)

yep. been running perfectly like that. appart from what i mentioned earlier. but i think thats possibly something to do with the car being 14 years old rather than something braking due to the 1.3 bar lol.

It will get to about 1.1 on a long pull but before it got to 1.3 quickly. I dont have a boost controller its limited by the wastegate. so im guessing something has got a bit old and worn out somewhere. lol

Just hope I don't regret BPU otherwise my parts will be for sale if my torque is decreased and the overall driveability is affected.

Oh and big thanks to Paul Whiffin for putting up with me and supplying the parts :)

You won't. It drives beautifully off boost.

Paul also supplied and fitted all the bits for my BPU and it's great.

I had the Supe for nearly 9 years before I went BPU.

My only regret is it's something I should have done 8½ years ago :D

In another 10 years time I my go single.

Thanks LBM, its reassuring to hear that original performance will not be lost.

Dont stress - Going BPU is not really a breakthrough science, its been done and proven over several years and the results are pretty much guaranteed (depending on the condition of the car to begin with).

It will transform the car and you will have to be careful.

As has been mentioned above, there is no loss of torque at any rpm, there is more at lower range, much more at high range. Response is far better (posibly the nicest improvement of all).

The only thing to watch for is lean AFR's just after the crossover point. Plus the rapid building of torque when the 2nd turbo spools (though this is also part of the fun of BPU ;) )

It really is a win-win situation.

Thanks for the comments. I have found teh Supra very easy to drive hard on country lanes across but guess I'll have to take it easy from now on then until I'm used to it again.

AshBHp has driven my car ona few ocassions and says its in good shape but needs an oil leak adressed (which is being done also). So hopefully it should go as well as you all say.

i see your going for smic/ i noticed a big difference with a bigger fmic hks type r. out of all the bpu bits this was the biggest gain in hp

I would go for a FMIC but I do NOT want to loose the active spoiler (Supra needs it unless you are a straight line pilot) and neither do I want it locked in the down position (I drive my car regularly so need to clear speed bumps).

Paul Whiffin's uprated SMIC is supposed to handle a single set up so should be more than adequate for BPU and either way will improve over my ageing stock unit. I'm certain that Paul Whiffin would not sell inferior products. Had this unti not been available I would have reluctantly had the spoiler locked in the down position and gone for a Gredyy/Blitz FMIC.

Edited by DSK (see edit history)

DSK, IME you are absolutely right with the intercooler choice. The only reason an FMIC would provide more power would be due to the current (presumably original stock) one being shot to shreds.

Also, with an FMIC it will induce more lag than a smaller side mount (simple physics really!). It was very noticable on my car after changing to a Greddy 3 row from a half decent side SMIC.

Response is far better (posibly the nicest improvement of all).

That's the thing that I remember from my one BPU experience when I test drove a car for another member.............do you think that a decat'd but stock boost car would give the same improvement in response?

That's the thing that I remember from my one BPU experience when I test drove a car for another member.............do you think that a decat'd but stock boost car would give the same improvement in response?

Yes, but only to a very small degree. On a jspec car the exhaust/restrictor ring would have to be so restricted to hold off the peak power it'd seriously impact the responsiveness

The responsiveness comes from having a higher flow exhaust system allowing quicker turbo spool and higher boost, but to reduce boost to stock levels adds nearly all of that restriction back in. End result will be much like stock anyway.