The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tyre choice

jackso11

305mm is 12 inches, so I'd have thought that would be a bit wide for a 10 inch wheel :search:

There's a really nice size guide on the link below that shows the dimensions. It's a bit different to other as automatically calculates all the metrics.

http://www.rims-n-tires.com/rt_specs.jsp

Acording to that link they will fit, my present 285's look a little stretched:search: Im looking at these ET street II's and they only come in 265's or 305's:(

EDIT..... forget that, just found BFG do a 295x35x18 g-Force T/A Drag Radial that will be perfect for me.

MT ET Street Radial II.jpg

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest gal351d

can anyone help?

reaquired my old supra le mans, when I had it before it had 315s on 17in split rims, but someone's changed them to 265s, if I replace them with 315s any idea on the wall thickness? ie aspect ratio.

Ive got falkens on the back of mine at the min and they are pretty poor for grip imo.

Agreed, they are not very good in the wet.

my present 285's look a little stretched:search:

I know it sounds funny because 265 should be 265, but when I was changing to try FK452's I still had a Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 on one side, and looking from the rear of the car you could clearly see that the Falken was a narrower tyre than the Goodyear. From shoulder to shoulder it was a little over half inch skinnier! :blink:

I thought it might have been because they were new and the F1's were worn....but when I realised the grip wasn't as good I went back to new F1's and compared again. Again the Falken was narrower than the Goodyear of the same size! :rolleyes:

You may want to bare that in mind when yours seem a little 'streached' as a different make might actually be wider. :)

I am suprised at 2x members on this thread commenting on poor wet grip on the Falkens.

Al the other tyre threads ive searched for on here have people RAVING about the 452's for dry and wet grip :search:

I never mentioned wet driving, i think they give poor grip in the dry, they are a budget tyre with budget performance, you get what you pay for.

Fair enough mate, its just totally conflicting views to a lot ive heard in here.

There was a thread comparing t1r v gsd3 v falken 452 which was about 5 pages and majority opinion was the 452's were awsome

ive not tried them so take everyones comments onboard ;)

Fair enough mate, its just totally conflicting views to a lot ive heard in here.

There was a thread comparing t1r v gsd3 v falken 452 which was about 5 pages and majority opinion was the 452's were awsome

ive not tried them so take everyones comments onboard ;)

With the 452's it seems to make a big difference with what size you go with, when i had them on the red car with 315's they was pretty good. this car in 285 they seem very poor, maybe im just use to the amazing grip R888's give and in comparison everything else feels cr@p.

It seems you've already decided to get them. With winter coming on you could be watching your back end stepping out in the rear view mirror if they're a hard compound.

The tyres are the only thing between you and the road. Like Jamie says, you get what you pay for, why risk stuffing your pride and joy in a ditch because of mediocre tyres with mediocre grip, and picking up a big tab for damage: or even write it off. For the sake of a few quid more for decent tyres, its worth it - they could save your *ss.

It seems you've already decided to get them. With winter coming on you could be watching your back end stepping out in the rear view mirror if they're a hard compound.

The tyres are the only thing between you and the road. Like Jamie says, you get what you pay for, why risk stuffing your pride and joy in a ditch because of mediocre tyres with mediocre grip, and picking up a big tab for damage: or even write it off. For the sake of a few quid more for decent tyres, its worth it - they could save your *ss.

Thing is the 452's are aimed at the higher end of the market compared to every other falken.

What tyres would u suggest? T1r, gsd3's?

The falkens just seem to get a great response from the majority of members on here but its always nice to get a balanced view.

With the 452's it seems to make a big difference with what size you go with, when i had them on the red car with 315's they was pretty good. this car in 285 they seem very poor, maybe im just use to the amazing grip R888's give and in comparison everything else feels cr@p.

Very true not much will come close to the 888's dude.

I'd go for the 265 rears i think if any as thats what i currently run.

Falken are not really budget tyres, they are mid range. The FK452's are for sure. Budget tyres cost around £40-£50 for a 235/40/18, Falkens are double that.

They are budget tyres, punch in 285/35/18 on mytyres and they are the cheapest tyre available from a big list.

They are budget tyres, punch in 285/35/18 on mytyres and they are the cheapest tyre available from a big list.

Yes, but that tyre size is big. All the normal 'budget' tyres aren't even made in that size so it doesn't really mean they are budget, just the cheapest at that large size.

Punch in 265/35/18, a more used size....then you get the budget tyres.

I used to have the Toyo T1R's on my car, but changed to the Falken 452's after seeing them recommended on here. They will be coming off as soon as the car is back on the road. They have nowhere near the grip the Toyos had. Awful tyre IMHO.

Blimey really?

Is that wet or dry you've found that.

Its sooo hard trying to choose a tyre with so many different views etc.

Blimey really?

Is that wet or dry you've found that.

Its sooo hard trying to choose a tyre with so many different views etc.

Both wet and dry the Toyo T1R performed far better. If I don't go R888 I will be going back to the T1R.

The only downside with the Toyo was that it was roughly double the cost of a Falken (last time I looked anyway) but for the difference in grip it is worth paying that extra.

I got a quote for t1r's and was only about £80 more than the 452's.

The toyos wear really quick though eh?

They are in my opinion worth the £80 extra then :)

I found them to be ok wear wise, depends on what you are expecting though.

I had them on when I still had the stock turbos and had them on for 2000 miles with the single turbo. They then got finished off at Suprapod last year.

to be honest mate you can ask people all the opinions in the world but it will all come down to what works on your car. as people may know from my other threads i spens alot of time testing different tyres, and the biggest thing i have gatherd that the tyre performance is massivly dependant on the way you car is set up , camber. tracking, ride height spring stiffness rebound , bush wear ect. i have had tyres on my car that i would swear by bu then i have driven other cars with the same tyres that felt like the wheels wernt in contact with the floor.

i done a testa year or so back when a friend/costomer was raving about his cheap khumo ku31s on his 300zx , now iv had these tyres and they didnt perform well atall on my car. so. i took the zx out and sure enoughf ir was like glue. Maybee i just had a bad set i thaught.

so back to the workshop took his wheels off slotted them on my supe took it out , and once again the car felt drunk. that was confirmation for me that ther are alot more factors to making a tyre work