The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tyre choice

jackso11

to be honest mate you can ask people all the opinions in the world but it will all come down to what works on your car. as people may know from my other threads i spens alot of time testing different tyres, and the biggest thing i have gatherd that the tyre performance is massivly dependant on the way you car is set up , camber. tracking, ride height spring stiffness rebound , bush wear ect. i have had tyres on my car that i would swear by bu then i have driven other cars with the same tyres that felt like the wheels wernt in contact with the floor.

i done a testa year or so back when a friend/costomer was raving about his cheap khumo ku31s on his 300zx , now iv had these tyres and they didnt perform well atall on my car. so. i took the zx out and sure enoughf ir was like glue. Maybee i just had a bad set i thaught.

so back to the workshop took his wheels off slotted them on my supe took it out , and once again the car felt drunk. that was confirmation for me that ther are alot more factors to making a tyre work

I had Kumhos on my Zed and my Celica they were fantastic on both of them. On the supra you might as well be driving on snow.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thing is the 452's are aimed at the higher end of the market compared to every other falken.

What tyres would u suggest? T1r, gsd3's?

The falkens just seem to get a great response from the majority of members on here but its always nice to get a balanced view.

As I mentioned in your tyre thread the other day, either of the Goodyear Eagle F1's would not disappoint you. Worth the extra pennies in my opinion. I don't think I've heard/read a bad thing about them anywhere. I may be wrong?

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?p=2528511&highlight=issues#post2528511

Worst tyre I ever had on the Supra was Dunlop SP Sport Maxx had the sport 9000 on the front and they were fine but with the maxx on the rear I couldn't roll out onto a roundabout (that's roll as in, not using the throttle at all) in the damp at the same speed as a family hatch without the rear letting go.

So bad that I spun up the rears in the damp in a straight line at 60mph.

First scare I had in the Maxx was at 45mph as I took a right hander and the back end stepped fully into a side road. Even vanish wouldn't get that stain out!

I didn't wait for them to wear out.

Never tried the Goodyear as I'm perfectly happy with the Toyo.

i was reading this thread yesterday which is interesting as yesterday my car had brand new toyo's on and they were superb which i knew they would be as i have had them before.

on my 500rwhp 300zx i had falken 451's and they were even better than the toyos, really grippy and lasted well too.

anyway got my new wheels on last night with new falken 452's on and there terrible :( going round a roundabout and not very fast and the back end came out?? may have looked cool but when your not trying to do it, its not cool. Messed with the pressure and they seem to be a little better but will need to "feel" my way into these tyres as they have not inspired confidence as yet :(

Mike

i was reading this thread yesterday which is interesting as yesterday my car had brand new toyo's on and they were superb which i knew they would be as i have had them before.

on my 500rwhp 300zx i had falken 451's and they were even better than the toyos, really grippy and lasted well too.

anyway got my new wheels on last night with new falken 452's on and there terrible :( going round a roundabout and not very fast and the back end came out?? may have looked cool but when your not trying to do it, its not cool. Messed with the pressure and they seem to be a little better but will need to "feel" my way into these tyres as they have not inspired confidence as yet :(

Mike

Surely thats just the manufacturing cr@p that comes with new tyres though?