The mkiv Supra Owners Club

SMIC x2 can you fit a second?

Harllequin

Hi guys.

You know when you have one of those flashes of inspiration.

Well I thought it best to run it by you guys.

I was wondering if you could plumb in another SMIC on the passenger side of the car. This would give you 2 SMICs.

Has anyone tried this?

I've not had a look at the pipework requirements yet but after refurbing the headlights it looks like there would be room enough to add another.

Cheers in advance for the comments.

i'm sure this has been at least talked about before (if not done) there is no reason why you cant do it, however you might get to the point where the flow loss through all the pipework and bends actually outweighs the benefit of the larger frontal area of two smics, there are cars on the board running 600hp on a single smic so how much power are you looking for ;)

You could, yes. Lag probably wouldn't be noticeably increased. The extra pipe volume is absolutely trivial to air volumes flowing from the turbo(s). You would need to make ducting as a mirror image of the RH side, and sort exit louvres in the wing undershielding though, to get similar flow through the outside of the core. Probably a LOT more work than you'd imagine for a small potential gain.

Cheers guys.

I'd searched at topics with the SMIC in the title but hadn't found anything.

Chris, from what I understand from your post would you need the same pipe size from Turbo outlet Y pipe to drivers SMIC then mirror that from the passenger side to the throttle body?

(Pipework 1 and 2 have to be identicle in air displacement and bends)

In essence you would have the same displacement of air in the pipe work both too and from both SMICs

The joining pipe being as straight as possible with any bends 3 and 4 being mirrored?

Excuse the basic line drawing. Hope that lot made sense. Warning, if it did your likely as cracked as me!!

have you got anymore info on the aristo ?..looks very nice.

It's an HKS car, Nob Taniguchi's JZS161 Aristo drift car.

"This build is very similar to the new Aristo that Nob's good friend Orido is driving in Formula D."

http://ll.speedhunters.com/u/f/eagames/NFS/speedhunters.com/Images/Mike%20Garrett/Events/Tuning%20Powers%2008/powers41.jpg

Edited by PJ (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
does anyone have any idea how this dual smic setup would affect throttle response?

As CW says above, I doubt you would even notice. There is hardly any noticeable difference when swapping from an SMIC to a larger volume FMIC which essentially is the same scenario.

Im gonna say this once.

Its all about the ducting! Air goes via the path of least resistance, so if it can go round the intercooler it will and and if air is going round the edge of the intercooler it will be moving faster then the air going through it as it has less resistance, in essence creating low pressure and pulling more air round the intercooler.

With the correct ducting you will probably see a greater gain then just sticking on a 2nd intercooler.

Im gonna say this once.

Its all about the ducting! Air goes via the path of least resistance, so if it can go round the intercooler it will and and if air is going round the edge of the intercooler it will be moving faster then the air going through it as it has less resistance, in essence creating low pressure and pulling more air round the intercooler.

With the correct ducting you will probably see a greater gain then just sticking on a 2nd intercooler.

just mount it infront of the front bumper :p:taped: