The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Whats the stupidest diy job you've done on your supra/car???

Clinton

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

filled mine once with a huge amount of oil one afternoon must have had other things on my mind didnt even realise how much i had put in later that day decided to go the the local mcdonalds took it easy for he first few mins while going through town then drove towards the dual carriage way just before it there is a set of lights pulled up next to a old punto we both pulled away i decided to floor it (foolish i know) i didnt even manage to stay with him as my car slowed down very quickly in a massive cloud of smoke limped to the layby near by and phoned my mate to come and collect my car with his truck i am very carefull now when putting oil in my car.

Any job that disables the car on a Sunday afternoon, when you've got to get to work on Monday - my best was an old filter change: the old oil came out easily enough, but the filter was stuck like a bastard. I borrowed the wifes car and bought FOUR different filter wrenches from halfords, which made things steadily worse, culminating in a chain wrench which didn't budge the filter, but did rip the filter canister all the way around. So now the filter is pissing oil everywhere too and still won't shift.

In the end I had to call my friendly mechanic on Monday morning, borrow his toyota specific cup-type wrench and used my full weight on a breaker bar. On an oil filter :no:

gees louise!! :blink:

I went out on a friday night knowing i had to fit my new shockers on the polo the following morning.

Puts the springs on the new shockers and then refitted them only to drive home with a very odd banging and sudden pulling to the left. Took them back off and id only put the the mounts which sit on top of the springs the wrong way round so the the rubber bush jumped up through the nut :rolleyes: oops :D

Spent an hour and a half with various tools including mole grips to try and free a stuck brake caliper bolt while changing the front disk's and pads. Ended up rounding the bolt head completely before realising it was the wrong sodding bolt!

1.on my first car an mg midget the clutch went, didnt have a garage so did it in the drive. took the engine and box out as one, took out the old clutch put in the new one took me 3 days to do it put it all back.and i put the new clutch plate in the wrong way round :blink:

2. just did my heater matrix removed everything except dash disconnected handbrake from tunnel put auto into 1 to remove dash couldnt get to the auto stick before i could stop it rolling back into my saxo, dent in saxo front wing no damage to supe phew!!!

Edited by Dave (see edit history)

So there's my Supra sat in the garage, and I'm doing some work in the engine bay that is taking a couple of days. The bonnet stays open for the duration, drivers side window down so I can roll it easily by pushing the A pillar, and it made getting in and out to test fire it easier as well.

All was going great until the second or third day when the battery was dead. Great, thought I, bunging it on charge. What an annoying delay. Now why would it go flat? I pondered this in the few hours I had while it charged back up, and I remembered that I'd just had Matt Harwood sort my alarm system out and for the first time since I got the car, the bonnet pin lit up the "door open" light on the dash. Crap. Obviously that being on constantly for two days had drained the battery.

So, battery back in, I got the nearest weighty object - a big x-files like torch - and carefully balanced it on the bonnet pin. That'll sort it out. I check the light on the dash, feckin thing is still lit. Hmmm. Move torch a bit, pin goes down further. Check light. Still on. Crap. Go round car, check all shuts, all looks normal, so I ferkle with the torch again. Light still remains lit.

Annoyed now I find something else heavy and balance that on the bonnet pin instead of the torch. Still the light remains lit. I check the boot - perhaps it's not quite right. Check it again, and then really slam it shut. The door open light still glows happily.

Right. I cleared everything out the engine bay, shut the bonnet, peered in through the drivers window and the light was out hurrah! So it's the bastard bonnet pin!

Five minutes work later the bonnet pin/battery area looks like a surreal game of buckaroo, but that pin is down allllll the way at last. I check the door open light once more... and it's on.

And at that precise moment I realise I'm checking from the passenger side of the car. The tinted window isn't wound down. So I'm opening the door to check the door open light. Every. Single. Time.

And as it turns out, the battery was going flat simply because it was old and shagged.

Hahahaaa... Ian, that was great! Another good old one is the

"where the hell did I put the screwdriver"

10 minutes later

"oh, it's in my hand"

Hmmm was a kind of diy one that I can remember now, I was leaving for a supra meet early morning around 5-6am to meet Trig, and a few others at Dartford before heading to pod, I picked up a mate on the way and going down the A127 we hit a big bump in the road, a min later my oil light came on :blink:

A little panicked I pulled into the next petrol garage, it was literally yards away so I pulled in, popped the bonnet on the soop, left it for a few mins then checked the oil, it all seemed fine but I went in to the garage and bought some oil anyway, brought it back, put my wallet down then poured a small amount of oil in for my peace of mind.

Cap on, checked oil again, bonnet down, oil in back seat then headed off. At this point the oil light went out and everything seemed ok, then I went to my friend “where’s my wallet?” I couldn’t find it in my pockets or anywhere in the car? I realised I must have left it at the garage so we took the next junction and bombed it back to the garage, I didnt want to me late for the meet( I hate being late) so I put my foot down and we were doing around 120leps over more bumps (oil light still out) couple of turns, around the junction, slip road 1 more mile then back at the garage.

I checked all around where I was parked and nothing, really worried now I went into the ask the garage owner, but as it was so early no one else had been in and he hadn’t seen anything lying around :(

Then for some reason I thought, lets check the oil just one more time, I popped the bonnet again and there it was, my wallet sizzling on the rad!,lol, I couldn’t believe it, 1. that I had been so stupid to leave it there and 2 that it had not moved an inch while me travelling at silly speeds through bends and over bumps! I was very lucky!

I've done loads more, I tried tinting my rear windows on my van the other day and completely failed, by the time I peeled the film it had all stuck together in the wind and didnt even make the window, did that 3 times then gave up :D

Edited by Tom (see edit history)

Mate of mine bought a big Yank, Blues Brothers Styley. Weather got warm so decided he wanted it convertible, didn't have an angle grinder but did have an Arc Welder!!

He cut through the roof on one side fine, half way through the second, some hot metal drops on the rear seat igniting it! Whole interior ended up on fire!!!

He scrapped the car the same day for £25!!!! :)

I've topped the oil up on an old Nissan of mine.

Left the oil cap off. :innocent:

It’s only the sickening smell of oil on a hot manifold that immediately reminds you of exactly what you have done. When I opened the bonnet a huge cloud of dark smoke comes wafting out and every inch of the engine and under side of the bonnet is smothered in hot oil. Nasty :blink:

When I bought my supe it had the Jspec plastic lights on it which were starting to yellow. So after much research on here I decided rather than buy new lights, I'd refurb the old ones.

Got the passenger side light out pretty quickly and went to put it in the oven. I had read that the temp should be around 100 and the light needs to be in about 10 mins. Thought that since I was in a rush I'd turn the oven to max (230) and only leave it in for the 5 mins it would take to whip the other light out.

Turns out the drivers side light was much more tricky to remove as you don't have good access to the bolts. I was so engrossed in trying to remove the other light I completely forgot about the one in the oven!

Must have been in there a good 20 mins before mother comes running out screaming at me to "get this damm light out of my oven!"

Result was one melted headlight, with £300 bill for UK spec's. £40 on take-aways as we couldn't use the oven for the whole weekend and £80 for an industrial cleaner to come out and clean the oven!

Then to top it all off, my sister took a couple of photos and kindly droped them off at my local!