The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Whats the stupidest diy job you've done on your supra/car???

Clinton

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For whatever reason I didnt have a runabout so had to use the supra as a daily driver. During this time my starter motor started playing up, it would just click and not engage. But with a bit of patience it would go after tring it every few minutes.

Anyway, this method of starting the car didnt last very long, until one morning when the car just would not start. So i phone in work, "sorry guys cant make it", and off to toyota i go. Salesman, "cant get you the parts till next week". Right i need a car so i'm going to have to fix the supra. I stripped the starter down, cleaned the contacts and great the car started.

A couple of days later, i finish work, jump in the car, one hand on the gear stick and the key in the other hand. Went to start the car and click. Because of what happened before, straight away i'm thinking starter. After 25mins of just trying the key every few minutes i give up. I thought I'll have to go back into work and get help. As i'm getting out the car i thought i'll just check the cars in park. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

While checking all the levels in my mk2 golf my neighbour came out and started chatting to me.Getting ingrossed with the conversation i picked up what i thought was the brake fluid and topped up the brake reservoir.Both the engine oil and brake fluid were in yellow containers.I stuffed kitchen paper into the reservoir to try and soak up the engine oil i put in.Trying to stop that golf was fun had to get the full system drained.

• 2 years later...

This thread deserves a BUMP, i have been crying with laughter for the last 20 minutes. Absolute classics. I have one to add, i took my mini into the Garage a couple of weeks ago as the bolt that holds the engine stabilizer had sheered off inside the head and i needed it drilling it out. I popped the bonnet and pointed out the said bolt (or lack of should i say) to the mechanic when the heavens opened and it started bucketing down. I dropped the bonnet down and we both legged it inside to talk time frames and cost. After a quick chat i bolted across the car park and jumped back in my mini, forgetting that hadnt closed my bonnet. Round the corner i start to accelerate and suddenly all i can see is a lovely BRG bonnet instead of the road. It took most of the paint off below the windscreen and bent the bonnet hinges good and proper. The worst part was i had to force it closed so i could get home, the noise of metal on metal sraping together on my pride and joy was unbearable :(

this thread has made me laugh! i was once in college with a few mates and was stripping down an engine and rebuilding it on a fiat, we thought it would be fun to wrap some latex gloves round the exhaust and blow them up, was fun for a while. then we thought hey... why dont we take of the air filter and try it on the induction pipe forgetting that it was "induction" just saw the gloveS vanish :D also when stripping down a saab, we were meant to keep all the parts as best we can soo we could rebuild it, some clever sod thought the best way to remove a loom was with cutters and brute force :blink: oh and then "someone" put a mallet on the sunroof abit hard and ermmm it went bang :D

A couple from me...

My lovely new Wings West lip arrived from the nice guys at MVP so I thought, oooh that's got to go on right now, I take it out of the box to un-curl (it comes all curled up), put it on my drive behind the misses golf. As the golf was so close to my supre I thought, I will move it back so I have room to move and won't damage the lip. Quick slot into reverse... Arse. Lucky its tough.

I had lots of rubbish left over from doing bits on the supra including removing my stock wing which was cracked and popping on a replacement. I couldn't get all the bits in the golfs boot to go to the dump so I popped down the roof to get more stuff in. Once it was nice and stacked up I sat in the drivers seat and pressed the hood up button while playing with the stereo, roof goes up, I begin to drive away and feel a strong draft, looking up I have torn a long, straight hole through the roof with a piece of rusted metal. Great. Thank god for ebay, it was a real bitch to fit the replacement.

Love the thread, keep them coming

one of my favorite mistakes was with my old skyline, it was a freezing cold but sunny day so i decided to wash the car. then drove it to a car park to leave over night as i went to work! come back to it in the morning dead tired and just wanted to go home but could not open the door, it was frozen shut! so it was 7am, alone in a car park, and needed something warm.............yep i pee'd on my door to get it open! then obviously washed it again!

My first ever car, a 903cc Seat Ibiza MK1, was run for a good 14 months with no maintenance so on e day I decided to check the oil. Dipstick was dry. As I was at Uni I asked a mate "How much oil do you put in an engine?" Note I did not quantify that question with "when topping up from a low dipstick." My mate had no idea of my intentions and presumed I meant an empty sump, so he replied "About 5 litres usually, depending on the car."

Off I drove to Halfords, £4.99 later and 5 litres of bog standard oil went into the filler cap.

It ran quite smoothly....for a while.

I've one to add.

I was checking the wheel bearing on the girlfriends mx5. I was spinning the front wheel with the tyre to get it up to speed and see if i could hear any grinding knocking etc etc. I heard nothing so started spinning with the spokes. Well did i not get my middle finger in a little too much.

SNAP.

Caught my finger between the wheel and brake caliper. If i was doing it any faster the top of my finger would have been right off. Luckily it was still hanging on. Broken bone and stitched back up good as new now.

I've one to add.

I was checking the wheel bearing on the girlfriends mx5. I was spinning the front wheel with the tyre to get it up to speed and see if i could hear any grinding knocking etc etc. I heard nothing so started spinning with the spokes. Well did i not get my middle finger in a little too much.

SNAP.

Caught my finger between the wheel and brake caliper. If i was doing it any faster the top of my finger would have been right off. Luckily it was still hanging on. Broken bone and stitched back up good as new now.

:whistle:

Year before last i was driving to Suprapod when my Evo started pulling to the right. I pulled over and suspected my caliper was sticking. I put my finger through the spokes onto the disc to check if it was warm. The disc was so hot my finger instantly welded itself to the disc, as i pulled it free i had a nce big red sore where my skin used to be. I had to drive the rest of the way to Pod with my finger against the cold window as it was bloody sore lol.

• 1 month later...

And at that precise moment I realise I'm checking from the passenger side of the car. The tinted window isn't wound down. So I'm opening the door to check the door open light. Every. Single. Time.

Damn, the moment of it dawning on you that you are really daft must have hurt your pride like hell, lol

The thought of the finger.... OUCH!!! i have done similar but only a slow rotating wheel, must have been in agony, as mine bloody hurt and it was more of a pinch

It wasn't that sore. Shock/Adrenaline set in and it was ok.

Worst part was after it was scrubbed clean and stitched up when the local wore off. THAT was sore

• 1 year later...

Loved that.

MY whole engine swap was probably the worst diy thing ever, but that wasnt really my fault.

Probably when i went over to colins when he was cutting my trd wing vents, i was left with the job of painting my cailpers less than 5 minutes later i had broken the wheel stud. Colin then wasted 3 hours helping me sort it out.

A friend of mine called me to ask if there was anything he could do to stop his brakes squealing.

"Copper grease" I informed him.

I had a phone call two hours later to tell me that his brakes were quieter but they felt odd.

"How much did you put on?" I asked

"I coated the disc" came the answer!

He also did an oil change on his own on a Peugeot 405 he had at the time. Later that evening he arrived at mine, apparently giving the car a run to circulate the gallon of oil he'd just put in before checking the level.

I actually heard the knocking two streets away - he'd forgotten to put the sump plug back in so all his new oil was in the gravel on his parent's driveway!

.....And when a Haynes manual tells you to check for a spark by running the engine and then pulling one lead off at a time while holding it with a rag, DON'T DO IT!!!

I've been asked to change someone's brake pads on their Citroen C1 and after looking online at what tools are needed (sizes), I found a thread on another forum saying the Haynes manual tells you to remove the hub instead of just Torx screws to change the disc..