The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1jz swap

Kearney

Ok, as some of you may know tax on a supra in Ireland is ridiculous. It costs 1300 euro a year for a 3.0 litre or 900 a year for a 2.5 litre.

I wanted to get a nice engine swap but just can't see the point in putting a 2jzgte in as I might aswell just buy a TT and save myself the trouble. Unless....

1jzgte. Ok, its probaly not a tunable as the 2jzgte is the sence its 500cc smaller. But It'd be a nice gain considering its going to be turbo or even twin. I'm only looking for around 300bhp so I reckon this would be ideal

I can get these two engines looms and ecus off a chap in ireland who is willing to take my 2jzge in as trade in so it means I get a bit of discount off the price.

jzx90 1j engine twin turbo complete-1000 euro

jzx100 vvti engine single turbo compete-1400 euro

I completely forgot there was 2 versions of that engine. he tells me the jzx100 is alot better to get, I duno how true that is as I know sweet feck all about them engines tbh.

The only problem is that both are from an automatic car so It means I'd have to do a bit of splicing which I really didn't want to do. Just one engine in and out. Plus I'm not 100% sure If my flywheel and clutch will be ok for the engine i.e. would it fit.

Just makes more sense as I'll get a rebate of tax money back from the goverment and my insurance will drop by 400 euro too.

Any taughts?

No the twin 1jz is also a very good engine, id just rather have the later single turbo engine if it was me, will make for a much neater install.

Ah cool, just another question I have is whats actually involved? As they are coming from cars with automatic gearboxes will the clutch, flywheel etc be ok? Much work in making the ecu and loom work with the manual?

Kearney, do you know Bondango on here? He's based in Ireland and has a huge amount of knowledge about the various JZ engines and their compatibility. He might be able to give some insight into the best options for you.

Don't think I do, wheres he based? Does he do skylines aswell as supras? I might know him

Ah cool, just another question I have is whats actually involved? As they are coming from cars with automatic gearboxes will the clutch, flywheel etc be ok? Much work in making the ecu and loom work with the manual?

Id give Steve at QSD a call, i know he has done this conversion, Steve is a nice guy and will help you out with any advice.

EDIT.. or as homer says bondago, forgot about him.

From what I've found, the 1JZ VVTi with stock turbo is good for ~320bhp and the early 1JZ ~350bhp at 1.1bar (considered the 'safe' limit for the stock turbos). It's pretty hard to find anything on the VVTi with any dyno results.

There's a chap on the AU Supraforums who put the VVTi engine into a pre-facelift NA 5psd, said the wiring was a nightmare but it drove nicely - thread is here

I believe the loom from a 2JZ-GTE will fit the pre-VVTi 1JZ-GTE and make everything much easier, you'll still need to change the clocks though.

Qsd performance spares 01327 858000 - 07779 725350

Cheers man :)

From what I've found, the 1JZ VVTi with stock turbo is good for ~320bhp and the early 1JZ ~350bhp at 1.1bar (considered the 'safe' limit for the stock turbos). It's pretty hard to find anything on the VVTi with any dyno results.

There's a chap on the AU Supraforums who put the VVTi engine into a pre-facelift NA 5psd, said the wiring was a nightmare but it drove nicely - thread is here

I believe the loom from a 2JZ-GTE will fit the pre-VVTi 1JZ-GTE and make everything much easier, you'll still need to change the clocks though.

I taught id be able to get away with just plug and play? clocks too? looks like its going to be a bit of a pain... :(

The big difference between the two engines is the torque curve

Maximum Power 280 PS @ 6200 rpm (both)

Maximum Torque TT 268 lb-ft @ 4800 rpm

Maximum Torque VVTi 278 lb-ft @ 2400 rpm

The Development of a New Turbocharged Engine with an Intelligent Variable Valve Timing System and New High Efficiency Turbocharger

Edited by garethr (see edit history)

You can get much more than that from the early 1JZ, I know cos it is sitting outside on my drive.

I had 1.2bar on stock ceramic turbos giving 325-335rwbhp.

I then fitted a single and it went up to 375rwbhp.

Now I'm in the process fo fitting 264 cams as well as a few other bits, the power should be at or close to 400 at the wheels (if not more.....).

The problem you will run into with a VVTI is that there are not many tuning products for them, and ecu's to manage the VVTI are rear and expensive.

If you want to tune the engine at some time after you fit it or prior to fitting then go for as late a one as you can but not VVTI, as you will be able to get far more bits for it than if it is a VVTI.

Again, I know this as I had one on my drive for almost 3 years. Had to use an HKS F Con Pro V ecu (and they aint cheap) and parts were a bugger to find even with..'a man in Japan' on the permanaint hunt for them.

For more info on the engines and tuning look here...

http://www.soarerworld.co.uk

Now two pics of the VVTI with HKS 28-35 single kit, and one of a normal 1JZ with a HKS 30-37s kit on it. (They are both Soarer's)

DSCN1904.jpg

DSCN1923.jpg

ins7.JPG

The very few (two I think) VVTi Soarers I have had in here had nothing like the punch of the older twin turbo none VVTi ones. The 1JZ is, IMHO, a much nicer engine then the 2JZ as it's a much shorter stroke and MUCH smoother. I love them! Sure they lack some torque, but like the smaller older BMW staright sixes, they are lovely units.

As pointed out in this thread by numerous people the 1jz non vvti is a peach of a powerplant. Our EDC chaser 1jz runs around 500hp and has been totally reliable all season. The 1jz loves Revs and for me that makes up for its lack of torque over the 2jz

The Engine itself offers a wealth of upgrade Paths, and extracting power isnt a major feat. Im surprised, especially with some of the Prices complete engines go for (less than £700) that more people are not going the 1jz route.

The non VVti is definately the engine for a transplant, it has to many factors in its favour. Its cost effective due to being the common varient, very Tuneable, and more importantly, the main headache with all conversions is wiring especially if you want to keep the stock dash/starting/charing circuits as is. The Non VVti engines are usually from Soarers, Jzx90 chasers, or the jza70 supra. This means that there is enough wiring information around regarding the important stuff like Body loom plugs to make it easy to integrate into other car looms.

The VVTI, although a good engine in its own right, is quite rare. Performance parts are not as plentiful as the non VVti, and tuning isnt as straight forward-on Many cars it ran more sophisicated electronics, such as FBW throttle and clever trac systems like the jzx110. this means wiring is far more complicated and there is also a lack of wiring information available.