The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Not impressed after rolling road!

supraszr

Couldnt agree more! Na apart from the ones with a nice turbo bolted on are pointless for engine mods. Your not goin to get any where. The day my old na went up for sale is the day a struggled to keep up with a old honda crx v tec! Ok it was stripped out but it was a shed. The supra looks like a powerfull super car so should have IMO a big engine to go with it and not be struggling with your average mac ds boy racer! Ok if money cant afford a tt, but dont try and make a na quicker just spend the time and money making it look nice. Dodgy rog again in my opinion has a stunning looking na, because he knows it dont have the power so just spends the money on looks. Take this as you will, as said IMO

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i got my n/a dyno'd in two different places, one a new dyno shop running a dyno dynamics machine and the second was a reputal garage with a slightly older dyno thats been around for years.

The first one was 201.2BHP

Second one in the reputal place was 214.4BHP

Would make you think really where this 14HP appeared from within 3 weeks :search:

ok, no offense intended, its just to me a dyno is a tuning tool and is probably one of the single most stressfull things you can do to a car, i did not know the age of your car so i took a guess and was 4 years out ;), my point was why put a completely standard (apparently healthy) 16 year old car (turns out to be 12 yo) and subject it to a the stress's of a dyno when you already know what power it runs, then you say your going to put it back on the dyno when you have serviced it :blink:, how many times do you think you can get away with this until something gives and your posting up "whats wrong with my car"

No worries just seemed a little harsh.

your prob right, it runs fine anyway for what it is. :)

Getting a N/A Supra rolling roaded or any other car for that matter is just as valuable as putting a tt on the rollers, I just don't get all this nonsense about N/A 's being girlie cars and tt being the real man’s car, you can hardly call a rear driven car with 225bhp or so 'girlie'

More tellingly a Jap spec tt auto will be making approx 180bhp / ton compared to 158bhp / ton for a NA manual, doesn't sound such a difference after all does it, moreover since when does a car with a 0-60 time of circa 6 secs look silly next to a car that can do it in 5 secs (manual) and more tellingly probably even 6 secs for an auto tt.

As you should all know cars can be down on power for a number of reasons a rolling road session with an operator who knows what he is doing can reveal fuelling and timing issues with any car no matter what power it is producing.

I would also like to suggest that putting a 500bhp Supra on the rollers is more dangerous to the car than running a 225 normally aspirated one, more importantly the 500bhp one is the one more likely to blow up.

Touching on what some other posters have said about power losses I would be very happy to see 200bhp at the wheels of a N/A Supra which would equate to a real world flywheel figure of at least 240bhp taking transmission and tyre losses etc into account.

Also from experience rolling roads are even more likely to give different readings from each other than the power differences to be expected from two identical spec cars.

It is perfectly reasonable for any car owner to want to know what power his car is making and I find it laughable to suggest that it is irrelevant what an NA car is doing because it should be obvious, absolute twaddle.........

As far as I am concerned anybody can turn up the boost of a turbocharged car to produce massive amounts of power and quite frankly turning a tt into a 400 bhp car is quite frankly a boring no brainer with no real need for rolling road verification of power, on the other hand it could be argued that turning a N/A into a 270bhp car with exhausts air filters ecu and fuelling mods is a much more worthwhile exercise and should turn an N/A car into a std tt auto beater................. Not to talk of the thrashing a well driven 250bhp NA car will give a 500bhp tt Supra on a twisty wet A road, race track or any other trying road surface.

But I am sure all the tt snobs on this forum know this already.........

Edited by 780z (see edit history)

Getting a N/A Supra rolling roaded or any other car for that matter is just as valuable as putting a tt on the rollers, I just don't get all this nonsense about N/A 's being girlie cars and tt being the real man’s car, you can hardly call a rear driven car with 225bhp or so 'girlie'

More tellingly a Jap spec tt auto will be making approx 180bhp / ton compared to 158bhp / ton for a NA manual, doesn't sound such a difference after all does it, moreover since when does a car with a 0-60 time of circa 6 secs look silly next to a car that can do it in 5 secs (manual) and more tellingly probably even 6 secs for an auto tt.

As you should all know cars can be down on power for a number of reasons a rolling road session with an operator who knows what he is doing can reveal fuelling and timing issues with any car no matter what power it is producing.

I would also like to suggest that putting a 500bhp Supra on the rollers is more dangerous to the car that running a 225 normally aspirated one, more importantly the 500bhp one is the one more likely to blow up.

Touching on what some other posters have said about power losses I would be very happy to see 200bhp at the wheels of a N/A Supra which would equate to a real world flywheel figure of at least 240bhp taking transmission and tyre losses etc into account.

Also from experience rolling roads are even more likely to give different readings from each other than the power differences to be expected from two identical spec cars.

It is perfectly reasonable for any car owner to want to know what power his car is making and I find it laughable to suggest that it is irrelevant what an NA car is doing because it should be obvious, absolute twaddle.........

As far as I am concerned anybody can turn up the boost of a turbocharged car to produce massive amounts of power and quite frankly turning a tt into a 400 bhp car is quite frankly a boring no brainer with no real need for rolling road verification of power, on the other hand it could be argued that turning a N/A into a 270bhp car with exhausts air filters ecu and fuelling mods is a much more worthwhile exercise and should turn an N/A car into a std tt auto beater................. Not to talk of the thrashing a well driven 250bhp NA car will give a 500bhp tt Supra on a twisty wet A road, race track or any other trying road surface.

Great post

As far as I am concerned anybody can turn up the boost of a turbocharged car to produce massive amounts of power and quite frankly turning a tt into a 400 bhp car is quite frankly a boring no brainer with no real need for rolling road verification of power, on the other hand it could be argued that turning a N/A into a 270bhp car with exhausts air filters ecu and fuelling mods is a much more worthwhile exercise and should turn an N/A car into a std tt auto beater..............

its quite amusing these n/a threads that claim all this power pop up with boring regularity, can we see a dyno sheet of your 270 bhp TT killing beast and could you tell us exactly how this air filter and "extra fuel" is going to hike up the power, yes your right all those thousands of pounds and the development i put into my car to get it to the power it is wasn't a challenge at all and was to use your words was a "boring no-brainer", oh why did i bother :p i should have concentrated my efforts on the exciting world of the n/a and just pose around driving it trading off the image and reputation (for being fast) that the TT built up, welcome to the club newbie :D

Oh my days how has this simple thread spun out of contol it's not worth bitching at each other! Yes my na is slow compaired to a tt but at the time of purchase it was a very well priced car for the the facelift model I wanted! Lets just all enjoy our cars and leave the moding to personal opinions!

My original NA auto was about the same at the wheels (164 bhp) at SRR. Charlie said that was about right for the age.

Mine was the same (also at SRR), about standard power considering the transmission - Manual should be slightly higher.

I am not going to get involved in bitching about my car being faster than yours and all that juvenile crap, I was just making an observation about a number of snyde remarks made at the expense of another member..... I never did like bullies.

I have seen NA's called girlie cars elsewhere on this site by the likes of 'seasoned posters' who should know better, the fact is an NA Supra has its place on the road and as I said its performance is not that far off a standard tt auto anyway.

Back in the real world you get a very nice manual 225bhp for 4K compared to 10K for the equivalent 280bhp/325 go figure........ Methinks the NA gives you more 'bang for your buck'

And as for 'wrong facts' it is rude not to point them out with corrections or are you just waiting for a more knowledgeable member to help you out...:p

And no I do not drive an NA but I am not in awe of cars making a puny 330bhp / ton either, you know who you are............ :D

Edited by 780z (see edit history)

I am not going to get involved in bitching about my car being faster than yours and all that juvenile crap, I was just making an observation about a number of snyde remarks made at the expense of another member..... I never did like bullies.

All this from a member who was disheartenend by the loss of power in his Supe from ageing...

N/A owners have feelings too :p

who's holding and not passing? 220 at the wheels from an n/a? I want some of that sh*t.

I read a while back that the best, legit figure, to hope for is 170. That sounds realistic going off what most of you guys are getting.

:attenwhore:[

Na, attention whore's don't bother reading other peoples posts ;)

Oh.... wait.... :D

Well what do you drive then, newbie? It's not an N/A and it's not a convertible BMW M3... so what's your story? :D

Gaz I would love to drive a manual tt a car I have always nearly bought but will hopefully buy now, trouble is the Europeans seem to be pushing the prices up at an alarming rate with their strong Euros.

I love cars and have quite a collection let us just say they range from 90 to 700bhp/ton with cd factors as low as .29 the 700bhp one is NA by the way ;)

Nice 1st post! I'm taking it that you drive an N/A then?

And who mentioned the N/A's being 'girlie' cars? You were the first person to use the word in this thread.

Welcome aboard anyway!

Thanks Soop Dogg ! How is the LS going and would you replace it with another Supra ?