The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Best way to drive an auto??

Jamesy

But for normal fast road driving I dont even take it out of drive, the gearbox seems to know what gear I want, its almost as if it learns your driving style or something.

you mean it just works automatically :D

wow who'd have thought it ;)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is gunna sound dumb lol but when you say change manually do you literally mean move the stick to L then up to 2 then to D ?? im still confused and still after reading all the info on it :search:

so when your in D with manu mode switched on, i find it revs higher then changes up at around 6k on all gears, and am i right in saying in D when pushing the O/D button and light on dash comes up i can only use 3 gears unless i over rev ?

thanks and sorry about my simple mind lol

if you engage manu mode you change the gears yourself.

from a standing start ie traffic lights:with manu off

if you put it in D it will start off in 2nd gear

if you put it in 2nd it will start off in 1st then change to 2nd then you have to move the stick to D then click on the OD button

dont use the od button in manu it dont work like that .

if your having a dabble off the lights select manu put it in L and change up on the redline this is the quickest

if your in D with foot to the floor it wont go anywhere near the redline before it changes up

if you engage manu mode you change the gears yourself.

from a standing start ie traffic lights:with manu off

if you put it in D it will start off in 2nd gear

if you put it in 2nd it will start off in 1st then change to 2nd then you have to move the stick to D then click on the OD button

dont use the od button in manu it dont work like that .

if your having a dabble off the lights select manu put it in L and change up on the redline this is the quickest

if your in D with foot to the floor it wont go anywhere near the redline before it changes up

EHH!?! I NEVER use the manu mode, I hate it, its like it have huge delay, when I pull the stick 1 time foward to next gear it will first change after like 1 second, its extremly annoying!

If I have to start off the fastest way from 0, I just Floor it in D? Is this wrong? Will it then start in 2nd gear?

Which way is the fastest without killing the box?

EHH!?! I NEVER use the manu mode, I hate it, its like it have huge delay, when I pull the stick 1 time foward to next gear it will first change after like 1 second, its extremly annoying!

If I have to start off the fastest way from 0, I just Floor it in D? Is this wrong? Will it then start in 2nd gear?

There is something wrong with your box.

Best way to drive an auto -easy

1. Get decent tyres (Not Khumos or Falkens or any stuff like that)

2. Proper brakes - stock uk are fine

3. Learn to left foot brake.

4 Find a good driving road, with some nice flowing corners both left and right, and, if possible some elevation as well. Stick it in 'D' and just drive it, you can flick the OD off if you need to drop it down a cog or overtake someone.

5. Feel a pang of sympathy for 6-speed owners who believe the manual box is an essential ingredient for a 'drivers car' and are happy to suffer the heavy clutch, rattly flywheel and gearbox that would embarrass any self respecting tractor :)

there is also a delay in mine, has been since ive had it. as for flooring it in D i find sometimes it gets a better launch when i dont floor it, it seems the pwer delivery is a lot smoother and more instant.

Thanx for the advice guys.

From now on im havin tc turned off and od off unless on m.way !

When i tried to launch from lites in od it felt like startin in 2nd so will have od off next tiMe

Manu doesnt interest me at all so far

After owning a manual tt i neva thought i could live with an auto - couldnt be any further from the truth ..... I think i actually 'prefer' it!!!!!

Best way to drive an auto -easy

1. Get decent tyres (Not Khumos or Falkens or any stuff like that)

2. Proper brakes - stock uk are fine

3. Learn to left foot brake.

4 Find a good driving road, with some nice flowing corners both left and right, and, if possible some elevation as well. Stick it in 'D' and just drive it, you can flick the OD off if you need to drop it down a cog or overtake someone.

5. Feel a pang of sympathy for 6-speed owners who believe the manual box is an essential ingredient for a 'drivers car' and are happy to suffer the heavy clutch, rattly flywheel and gearbox that would embarrass any self respecting tractor :)

i agree!! the difference in using all these functions and actually sticking it in D is so minor!

the auto box was made to be one of the best as it is not messing about with it. could always do the decent thing and go boostlogic box and high stall then learn how to drive :) show these manual boys what the back of your car looks like!

Quick tip for fast kickdown when in 'D', TT models:

If you want to get a fast kick down and hard accelleration when going along with the box in D. Try dabbing the throttle quickly and then planting your foot rather than just putting your foot to the floor and waiting for it to kick down.

I have found this to kick down faster and accellerate harder.

Note, best not to try this for the first time in the wet :)

Quick tip for fast kickdown when in 'D', TT models:

If you want to get a fast kick down and hard accelleration when going along with the box in D. Try dabbing the throttle quickly and then planting your foot rather than just putting your foot to the floor and waiting for it to kick down.

I have found this to kick down faster and accellerate harder.

Note, best not to try this for the first time in the wet :)

defo agree!! i used to call it double pump! its like a hyper speed button lol

Best way to drive an auto.... hmm Swap to manual 6 speed..:)

I did that, biggest mistake of my Supra owning life. Really never enjoyed the 6sp. I had the holy grail at the time, a UK spec 6sp and thought it must be the best. Turns out it wasnt for me. Now back in an auto tiptronic and to be honest I could have gone to a normal auto supra and still loved it.

So dont believe the hype around the 6sp gearbox, it isnt for everyone.