The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Best way to drive an auto??

Jamesy

Whatever...I can eat a McDondalds and drive the car at high speed on the motorway with cruise engaged :p

Youre not supposed to eat while you drive, especially that rubbish...cause youll look like

assuming that you dont look like this already... :p

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did that, biggest mistake of my Supra owning life. Really never enjoyed the 6sp. I had the holy grail at the time, a UK spec 6sp and thought it must be the best. Turns out it wasnt for me. Now back in an auto tiptronic and to be honest I could have gone to a normal auto supra and still loved it.

So dont believe the hype around the 6sp gearbox, it isnt for everyone.

I'm with u fella

when i was looking for my new supra i was ONLY looking at manuals - so when i saw this one i was origianlly put off by the auto box.

I was "told" to go and drive one locally before dismissing it...and feck me i'm chuffed i did.

I prefer driving it SOOOoooo much more than my old BPU 6sp TT. I always found the getrag box hard work and the power delivery from this auto is awsome.

plus its great for crusing which a lot of time is spent doing, not to mention traffic!

i am a converted man!! :D

• 1 month later...
Guest Carsten

Hm.

I did my first Quarter mile ever last Saturday.

As seen here:

1:46 and 4:04

Yes i know i suck ^^ But it was my first time without BPU (got an 15.2)

Mayb im wrong, but the big disatvantage is starting without any prespool. I had to start from 0rpm (didnt want to mess up my gearbox) and so my time sucked hard.

Hm.

I did my first Quarter mile ever last Saturday.

As seen here:

1:46 and 4:04

Yes i know i suck ^^ But it was my first time without BPU (got an 15.2)

Mayb im wrong, but the big disatvantage is starting without any prespool. I had to start from 0rpm (didnt want to mess up my gearbox) and so my time sucked hard.

you need to do a search on "power braking" and then if you want to be the drag king (or queen :D) fit a high stall torque converter, my single makes positive boost at around 2700 rpm and the high stall allows me to get the revs way past 3000rpm into the sweet spot, letting go of the brake at that point is an absolute blast, providing you have good tyres, and despite what the 6 speeders on here say yes i can use two feet :p

can u not just switch the trac (slip cont) off on the dash mate?

You can, but pulling the TRAC fuse causes the box to shift more aggresively in my experience, right on the redline :) as well as disabling the slip control.

I get quicker 1/4 times with the TRAC fuse out.

Power braking is easy. Just hold revs at 2k rpm for no more than say 5 seconds (or you cook the box), plant foot to the floor, release brake and you're OFF :)

I've been advised not to do burnouts in an auto as they can wreck the autobox and diff allegedly...

You can, but pulling the TRAC fuse causes the box to shift more aggresively in my experience, right on the redline :) as well as disabling the slip control.

Power braking is easy. Just hold revs at 2k rpm for no more than say 5 seconds (or you cook the box), plant foot to the floor, release brake and you're OFF :)

I've been advised not to do burnouts in an auto as they can wreck the autobox and diff allegedly...

ahh cool thanx mate - is it not best just to leave the fuse for TRAC out permentantly then??

ahh cool thanx mate - is it not best just to leave the fuse for TRAC out permentantly then??

You can do, but you will get the OD light flashing at you all the time. The trac system cuts fuel (or something like that) between gear changes to soften the driving experience and prolong the life of gearbox and engine etc. This is a great idea, but unfortunately it does lose you power.

Also you cant select MANU mode with the TRAC fuse out :(

You can do, but you will get the OD light flashing at you all the time. The trac system cuts fuel (or something like that) between gear changes to soften the driving experience and prolong the life of gearbox and engine etc. This is a great idea, but unfortunately it does lose you power.

Also you cant select MANU mode with the TRAC fuse out :(

thats ok i NEVER use MANU mode - but i see your point. i will pull the fuse the drag only,

thanx for the tips ;)

Unless you have appropriate coolers... like the uk spec auto box has ;)

In regards to the safety of doing burnouts on the stock autobox and diff, you're probably best off asking dude or someone else who drags the autobox hardcore for a more definate answer.

I know the drivetrain can take the 2k rpm power brake all day, but I need someone to confirm if you can get away with burnouts :)

well i done 5 runs and smoked the wheels every time but nothing happened? that was standard auto box with no cooling or any thing just a standard car.

if you gentle on the foot brake and just slightly roll its less stress as you wheels dont have to try and spin with full brakes on. thats what i found any way (few sets of tyres later )