The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Correct way to warm up / cool down engine and turbos

1JZGTE

Just wondering what the correct method is?

For warming up, is it:

(a) Until water and oil temp are in the middle, be very very gentle, do not use turbo at all. Once they have warmed up, boot as hard as you like.

(b) As above, but before "booting about as hard as you like" should you make a couple of gradual runs, say 2 or 3, before planting your foot?

© Another method - pls state

Cooling down:

10 minutes before you park up and switch engine off, drive around treating the car as if it hasn't warmed up yet and be very gentle.

Is that right? Or utter bollocks? :D

If I had a turbo'd car I would use (a) for warming up, but bearing in mind that the oil temperature is the most important one here. Your method for cooling down sounds fine to me, I can't see any problem with doing that. It's nice to read about someone who drives their car with mechanical respect, not just turning on and red-lining out of the parking space.

Thank, Phil, some very useful info there straight from the horse / Mr. T :D

It's nice to read about someone who drives their car with mechanical respect, not just turning on and red-lining out of the parking space.

I just believe if you look after things, they will last and serve you well.

:)

I just believe if you look after things, they will last and serve you well.

:)

Mechanical sympathy seems to be sadly lacking in a lot of younger drivers. It never fails to amaze me when I see well paid young blokes in 1/2 year old cars ragging the nuts off them from a colds standstill every morning. Come MOT time the cars will be up for sale, with "One careful owner" in the add.:innocent:

I timed my oil warm up to day, from overnight cold start, with 30mph and 40mph limits the oil took 5 miles to reach 90 degrees, I have about 1.25 litres extra oil in my system.

Edited by Terminator (see edit history)

As much good as electronic turbochargers mate. Snake oil.

What:search:

Correctly set up a turbo timer will ensure the correct cool down time for the car. Unless of course you are Mr Perfect and can always judge how much time to leave to ensure your turbo/s are not going to fry the oil around them.

Turbo timers are a driver aid, for each owner to determine where they think it will be of benefit or not, hardly Snake Oil.

I actually can't believe that something so fundamental like this needs to be discussed on what is a performance car forum, its just common sense, if it was the "Caravan towing vehicle forum" i could understand:blink:

I understand your point, but as you can see we have several different replies. I think its good to discuss things like this as it is very important to the longativity of the engine. As much as we love booting our Supra's we also need to look after them and this is one of the key aspects of Supra ownership, warming & cooling of the engine.

Also got to remember we will have a number of owners who are new to the game and will find stuff like this very useful.