The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What kit is this?

martini

True... got to find the right one though. I found a great car about 6 months ago, and was looking at about 4 on here at that time too. At the moment, nothing on here seems to be for me. I found a Supra on eBay but could do with opinions... seemed low mileage... here.

I hate the front, and not keen on silver, but apart from that it looks like a clean car, I wouldn't pay 4.5k for it though, but you never can tell from an advert, you have to spend a whole weekend just viewing loads, I have viewed so many supra's, and you usually know straight away whether it's a good choice or not, it's sad just how many advertise themselves as mint etc, and turn out to be complete dogs.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate the front, and not keen on silver, but apart from that it looks like a clean car, I wouldn't pay 4.5k for it though, but you never can tell from an advert, you have to spend a whole weekend just viewing loads, I have viewed so many supra's, and you usually know straight away whether it's a good choice or not, it's sad just how many advertise themselves as mint etc, and turn out to be complete dogs.

I'd replace the front, the low miles are what tempted me. But I guess a well cared for car with higher miles vs a low mileage car that hasn't really been looked after is the way to go.

Thanks for the feedback. There's very little on the market right now. Typical! Now I have the money, I am twiddling my thumbs looking in all the photo galleries at all your supras! :rolleyes:

I'd replace the front, the low miles are what tempted me. But I guess a well cared for car with higher miles vs a low mileage car that hasn't really been looked after is the way to go.

Thanks for the feedback. There's very little on the market right now. Typical! Now I have the money, I am twiddling my thumbs looking in all the photo galleries at all your supras! :rolleyes:

Don't be sold by mileage mate, a well cared for high mileage supra will be much better than a low mileage battered uncared for one.

Check out my garage. My old supra is in there, it's now on it's third member owner and think the mileage is probably well into the 90k by now. It still looks as nice as when I had it though, and no owner has had any grief with it to my knowledge.

If you have plans to modify it etc, just go for a really good base car, like This perhaps, it has had only 1 owner, seems genuine, go have a look, plus you will have 1k left to buy some decent wheels which would transform it. Or if you really don't want auto, there is always this manual which would again give you 1k left over to buy some new wheels with :) Or there is this one which I bet you could get down to 4k!

If you have plans to modify it etc, just go for a really good base car, like This perhaps, it has had only 1 owner, seems genuine, go have a look, plus you will have 1k left to buy some decent wheels which would transform it. Or if you really don't want auto, there is always this manual which would again give you 1k left over to buy some new wheels with :) Or there is this one which I bet you could get down to 4k!

Thanks so much for the advice! :)

I do have plans to modify - unless I get one already modified to my tastes (like most on the forum!).

Matt has also said that it might be worth my while just saving more and more and getting a Twin turbo instead. I can sure see the appeal of that - but I am impatient and want a supra :(

I like that aero a lot. Certainly worth a look. Where is it and how much?

Email me the details of it ;)

Email sent!

Thanks so much for the advice! :)

I do have plans to modify - unless I get one already modified to my tastes (like most on the forum!).

So you don't like of those Supra's I linked you to? It depends what you want the car for, if you just want a car that looks nice go for an N/A as there is nothing else you can do with it, are you in to tuning etc? Have you owned any fast cars previously? I never get it when people can't decide whether to get an N/A or a TT, they're totally different cars! A TT is just a whole other world to an N/A :D Why don't you see what members live near you, and ask them to take you out in their TT/N/A.

So you don't like of those Supra's I linked you to? It depends what you want the car for, if you just want a car that looks nice go for an N/A as there is nothing else you can do with it, are you in to tuning etc? Have you owned any fast cars previously? I never get it when people can't decide whether to get an N/A or a TT, they're totally different cars! A TT is just a whole other world to an N/A :D Why don't you see what members live near you, and ask them to take you out in their TT/N/A.

I quite like the look of that manual you linked to on eBay. You're right about the other two as well - great base cars with potential to mod as I go along.

I haven't owned a car before. I've driven Imprezas, BMWs, Audis a DB7. Most of my experience comes from driving FWD (megane, clio, fiesta, xsara) for a few years.

I guess I am stuck in two minds. Either I go for an NA because I can afford it now, drive it now, etc... or I wait and go for the TT. I have only ever seen about 3 supras in the 'flesh'!

Sssh, he lives close to me!! :D

:(

I'll be able to either have a lot more money or get a car loan when I a) move out of where I am now or b) get a job.

However, my dad gave me a bit of money to get my first car (hence now being ready to buy) and I very much doubt he has the idea in his mind that I would go and buy a twin turbo car for around £9k!

Think that aero is only about £4.5k.

On PH @ £5k, but I would offer £4k I think if I was going to.

Just joking bud, you're welcome to take the passenger seat some time ;)

:)

You have a single, right? That would be quite the intro to supras! :blink:

Edited by martini (see edit history)

True...

I am awaiting interior pictures. The advert is a bit shocking though and the guy couldnt be bothered to talk to me on the phone really...

lol. I bought a rx7 from a guy who wasn't overly chatty either. Car was fine just he just wasn't a social person.

You won't want an N/A after that for sure :D

Yeh, exactly! Then I would want a single myself and that would open an entire can of worms. Getting insured would be a laugh too! I can imagine the conversation...

"Hi there, yeh, I'd like a quote. No, first car. No years no claims. 25 years old. Of course I can, it's a Toyota Supra. Single turbo. Hello? ... Hello? "

:blink:

Hence, in my situation, with no previous car, maybe the NA is the way to go for a year and then get a TT? I would have to save for the TT anyway, so I may as well have an NA in the mean time, just to get 1 year NCB and have a bit of fun :)

EDIT: In fact, I think that is what I will do. I won't have the money for a TT this year, but I can buy a nice N/A and get a TT in a year or so. Maybe even BPU. In relation to previous tuning etc, I have no experience what so ever, but it's always interested me.

Edited by martini (see edit history)

From your statement above, I would recommend you get a NA for maybe 1 or 2 years and then you can either spend 2k on upgrading to a TT or buy another Supra TT? This will ease you in the Supra, esp as it seems you have not owned a car or driven one maybe on a regular basis.

When I brought the TT I was warned and I thought, well seeing as I have been driving since I was 15, owned a number of powerful cars, use to kart race and every few weeks get my hands on a supercar to boot around, this 13 year old car will be a doodle!...Ermm how wrong was i? The power I can handle, its the tail happy end which you have to watch out for, this has nearly caught me out a few times, a girlfriend of mine has now vowed to never get into my car! (I blamed the drains :p).

From your statement above, I would recommend you get a NA for maybe 1 or 2 years and then you can either spend 2k on upgrading to a TT or buy another Supra TT? This will ease you in the Supra, esp as it seems you have not owned a car or driven one maybe on a regular basis.

When I brought the TT I was warned and I thought, well seeing as I have been driving since I was 15, owned a number of powerful cars, use to kart race and every few weeks get my hands on a supercar to boot around, this 13 year old car will be a doodle!...Ermm how wrong was i? The power I can handle, its the tail happy end which you have to watch out for, this has nearly caught me out a few times, a girlfriend of mine has now vowed to never get into my car! (I blamed the drains :p).

I've read this a few times recently. Don't want to go off topic, but I thought I'd quickly add this seeing as it's been mentioned again. I'm on my second TT, this one being a manual BPU++ TT. Neither of them have been particularly tail happy. Neither of them slid out without being obviously provoked into it. It leads me to believe you might want to get your geo checked. Especially if it slides out without any warning.

Thanks for the advice Abz! That last part made me laugh :) However, I have heard about a few cars spinning at 20mph, which is clearly not right. Something odd is happening! As for yours, as said above - maybe get it checked out?

This is probably the thing to do. Get a nice NA and enjoy it for a couple of years. Save up for a TT that will be a keeper for many years to come.

As Supragirlie has said though, I need to get my arse into a supra so I can begin to decide in my mind. All I have at the moment is pipe-dreams.

So you don't like of those Supra's I linked you to?

turns out two of them are no longer for sale!

I'd probably go with one from the forum than eBay. As I don't have a car, I would have to go with my girlfriend (lives in York) to view, so it'd have to be worth my while to spend our time doing that.