The mkiv Supra Owners Club

WTF, More ebay madness, someone making money from your car?

The Raven

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If i see one around ill note down the reg

Makes it a lot more difficult than browsing ebay and this forum though.

People thinking about commiting a crime only need to google for pictures to clone cars. It was a lot more difficult not so long ago.

Because they are polite and its better for business.

Is that a fact?

How could it be?... I couldn't state for certain why every person asked as everyone is different :p

I can't think of any legal reason why people are not allowed to photograph a car in the public domain. There is no trademark issue, no copyright issue, no IP issue as far as I can see.

If you do find something then let me know. I might even ask around at work if I remember.

Ok, without the internet, give me a registration of a black do-luck kitted supra with TRD wing and black alloys. Not owned by you, on the off chance.

Scott if you were talking about a blue Ford Focus fair enough.... how many black do-luck kitted supra with TRD wing and black alloys are there about? - Even if we got into double figures what is the chance that you could not easily prove it wasn't you?

How could it be?... I couldn't state for certain why every person asked as everyone is different :p

I only asked as you didn't mention it was your thoughts, you stated it so i asked if it was stated as a fact :)

I can't think of any legal reason why people are not allowed to photograph a car in the public domain. There is no trademark issue, no copyright issue, no IP issue as far as I can see.

Back to the original point. I don't think there is an issue taking a photo. To take a photo of someone elses property to sell on for profit is where i see there being an issue.

Scott if you were talking about a blue Ford Focus fair enough.... how many black do-luck kitted supra with TRD wing and black alloys are there about? - Even if we got into double figures what is the chance that you could not easily prove it wasn't you?

It depends on the circumstances and the lighting how difficult it would be. My point is that people posting pictures on the net makes it easier to clone. I think that can be taken as a fact. It can be done from the comfort of the couch afterall.

It's been pulled anyway. Obviously Ebay don't think much of his sale either.

I reported it, couldn't be arsed reporting all of them though lol.

It seems that ebay saw something wrong with selling a picture of someone elses car.

I only asked as you didn't mention it was your thoughts, you stated it so i asked if it was stated as a fact :).

Yes I know mate. I was only playing with you :)

Back to the original point. I don't think there is an issue taking a photo. To take a photo of someone elses property to sell on for profit is where i see there being an issue.

Yes but think of it this way. Every photo that is taken is done so without permission usually. For example you take a photo in a field... some one owns that field. The paparazzi make a living out of taking photos which the celebrity did not give permisison for. THe only issues that i can see is that if the pictures were defamatory (photoshoped to make them naked etc) or if the photograpghs were an intrusion into their privacy (which is a human rights issue as opposed to a legal issue) but as the car is in a public place then such arguments wouldn't stand.

WOW, Thats my car! Maybe I don't need to find a job afterall...

If this guy took the photo then its his to sell, whether the number plate is on show or not, and nothing can be done wether he got permission or not. Personally he can do what he wants with it, if he can be arsed writing the listing, fielding all our pointless questions and emailing the attachment off hes welcome to the penny. He obviously needs to supplement his dole cheque somehow, he can do most of it from his armchair too, result!

Seriously though, feel free to log on and bump the price up, I'd say its worth a wee bit more than that :innocent:

I can't see the advert as i'm at work. But i quess someone has taken a picture of a car at Japfest and is selling it?

If it's his picture, then whats the problem?

It's not like it's going to be a money spinner is it!

It was! he was charging 1p per picture!

I think it upset people that someone would take pictures of your car and then sell them without asking.

It was! he was charging 1p per picture!

I think it upset people that someone would take pictures of your car and then sell them without asking.

You were upset that someone was selling pictures at 1p a piece!!

:lol:

Hundreds of people do it. People come to the NW meets sometimes, take a photo of your car and try and sell it to you for a Fiver!!! haha

If it's his photo, then it doesn't matter the subject. People take their cars to shows to show it..... If you want to avoid this kind of thing then avoid doing that. Simples :)

Edited by Matt H (see edit history)

You were upset that someone was selling pictures at 1p a piece!!

:lol:

I didnt overly care i just pointed it out. Its more the fact that the person did so without the manners or bothering to ask.

That said i think i could make 5p a shot on pictures of yours:p

You keep saying that matie but don't give a basis for your reason. As for eBay from past experience they don't know their ass from their head.

car manufacturers have their designs trademarked, it is considered art.

Its is not illegal to take photos of cars, planes, boats, etc.

But you are infringing on their copyright to the art by US Copyright law IF YOU SELL THEM.

They mostly don’t care if you take photos of their cars….. but they tend to get upset if you sell them.

A quick search brought that up. Not so sure i believe its THAT much of a big deal. The only bit i see being a problem, as i said, is the registration mark being shown.

Found this in a quick search :-

'Copyright is an intellectual property right which (in U.S. and European law) is automatically bestowed exclusively upon the author (you) at the instant the artwork is created, e.g. when you press the shutter release. If you took the picture, you own the copyright, and it's yours to use.'

So if you/he/anybody actually took the picture then you can do what ever you want.

If someone takes pictures at a public show and later decides that some/all his pictures would be 'saleable' to others then they will not have names etc to 'ask' permission and deleting the registration would remove that need surely?

Found this in a quick search :-

'Copyright is an intellectual property right which (in U.S. and European law) is automatically bestowed exclusively upon the author (you) at the instant the artwork is created, e.g. when you press the shutter release. If you took the picture, you own the copyright, and it's yours to use.'

So if you/he/anybody actually took the picture then you can do what ever you want.

If someone takes pictures at a public show and later decides that some/all his pictures would be 'saleable' to others then they will not have names etc to 'ask' permission and deleting the registration would remove that need surely?

Having spoken to a few people at work, Branners and my view appears to be correct. The photograpgher owns the copyright and doesn't have any requirement to ask permisison etc.

Will check the DVLA requirements re numberplates although i suspect the reason they are blanked out is if they are photos of accidents or vehicles involved in crime (hence the media are limited in the information they are allowed to provide)

Having spoken to a few people at work, Branners and my view appears to be correct. The photograpgher owns the copyright and doesn't have any requirement to ask permisison etc.

Will check the DVLA requirements re numberplates although i suspect the reason they are blanked out is if they are photos of accidents or vehicles involved in crime (hence the media are limited in the information they are allowed to provide)

Interesting discussion. To throw a tiny spanner in the works, I was going to do prints of people's cars - some of you may recall my post.

I looked into this heavily and although I couldn't find any black and white writing saying if it was illegal or not (without owners permission), I can say you are NOT allowed to sell pictures of cars with the manufacturers logos and name's showing without their explicit authorisaiton.

So seeing the T of Toyota or the cool supra logo is not allowed if you are selling the photos.

You'll notice older video games often had car logos taken out for this reason.