The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Difference between the import/UK version?

Attero

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What if ones JDM Supra came with the 'better brakes' as standard?

Also, surely the quietness inside the car is subjective. There's nothing different in any area that would cause one to be different to the other when it comes to cabin noise, is there?

As I said a few posts earlier, I would buy a J-Spec if the right one came along.

I am lead to believe (probably BS) has more soundproofing than the J-Spec. Also the UK Spec had one of the loudest exhausts on it, an RS*R II and inside the cab was bliss you could have a conversation without any raised voices, my J-Spec with the quieter Kakimoto was awful you could not hold a conversation.

• 6 months later...
Guest Twilight
Better brakes, quieter inside the car, engine felt smoother but on WOT pulled harder and all the sissy comforts appeal to me. Better place to be in compared to a J-Spec.

Only downside was the suspension is a bit soft.

It is narrowminded some of the views J-Spec vs UK Spec, I would still have a J-Spec if the right one came along.

It seems that the two has quite diffrent setup in the engine hardware and management. I've seen different cam lift, different fuel management, different turbos.

According to http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/specs.htm the cars have quite obvious differences in terms of power. However i've came into that sense reading this forum that these two have very little differences in relation to power and performance. But i start to doubt it since its different hardware. How come these two are keeped here so close together although they've built "totally" in own ways?

The EU- spec should have better performance, main differences are;

JDM/EXP

-Injectors 430cc/540cc

Inlet cam duration 224deg/233deg

Inlet cam lift 7.8mm/8.25mm

Airflow measurement MAP/MAF

Turbo's CT20A (CERAMIC) / CT12B (STEEL)

Turbine size 60mm/48mm (ind./exd.) / 52mm/44mm (ind./exd)

Compressor size 62mm/39 (ind./exd) / 58mm/39mm (ind./exd)

Scroll area 600mm^2 / 740mm^2

A/R ratio 0.42 / 0.52

By looking the data given above, i would assume that the JDM version with milder cam and ceramic turbos will give a slightly better torque but starts to lack some power in the high RPM zone since the turbo's start to become out of range. These two cars could have the exact same BHP- value, but the power/torque curves are a little bit different.

And the EXP model will have the opposite. A slighter more power especially in the high RPM zone. It would be intresting to see the dyno graphs between these two.

And the figures confirm my doubts;

Power "280hp"/320hp

Torque 323ft/lb / 315ft/lb

Edited by Twilight (see edit history)

Guest Twilight

I'm not doubting that. But why they have made two so different vehicles? I dont know.

Maybe the differences in the performance are not that big afterall. They've just wanted to create a softer and better pulling version for export markets.

It seems that the two has quite diffrent setup in the engine hardware and management. I've seen different cam lift, different fuel management, different turbos.

According to http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/specs.htm the cars have quite obvious differences in terms of power. However i've came into that sense reading this forum that these two have very little differences in relation to power and performance. But i start to doubt it since its different hardware. How come these two are keeped here so close together although they've built "totally" in own ways?

The EU- spec should have better performance, main differences are;

JDM/EXP

-Injectors 430cc/540cc

Inlet cam duration 224deg/233deg

Inlet cam lift 7.8mm/8.25mm

Airflow measurement MAP/MAF

Turbo's CT20A (CERAMIC) / CT12B (STEEL)

Turbine size 60mm/48mm (ind./exd.) / 52mm/44mm (ind./exd)

Compressor size 62mm/39 (ind./exd) / 58mm/39mm (ind./exd)

Scroll area 600mm^2 / 740mm^2

A/R ratio 0.42 / 0.52

By looking the data given above, i would assume that the JDM version with milder cam and ceramic turbos will give a slightly better torque but starts to lack some power in the high RPM zone since the turbo's start to become out of range. These two cars could have the exact same BHP- value, but the power/torque curves are a little bit different.

And the EXP model will have the opposite. A slighter more power especially in the high RPM zone. It would be intresting to see the dyno graphs between these two.

And the figures confirm my doubts;

Power "280hp"/320hp

Torque 323ft/lb / 315ft/lb

Edited by Twilight (see edit history)

I've driven a good few different Supras, and I am another for the UK-spec option.

I've driven both j-spec tt and uk-spec on track and felt more sure-footed in the uk-spec.

Thats not to say the j-spec doesn't have its own advantages. But the uk-spec does seem to pull harder when up in the rev range and the j-spec does seem to set off from the line a little faster. So in some aspects it is swings and roundabouts.

Some people do not need the standard uk 'toy' list, and some prefer the softer settings on a uk-spec for better wet weather driving etc. So there are plenty of items on the list to argue left and right about. But when all is done they are both TT Supras and both amazing cars for the money you pay.

But the uk-spec does seem to pull harder when up in the rev range and the j-spec does seem to set off from the line a little faster.

Switch to UK cams and jobs a good'un.

I'd be more inclined to say that the Facelift/VVTI versions may be worth looking at as an alternative.

Wow, there is a bit of misinformation here:

Firstly, JDM Supras came as two model series - 1993-1996, and 1997-2002. Early model RZs have the big diff, big driveshaft, big radiator but only got the 4 pot brakes and Recaros in 1995-97 in the "facelift".

VVTi RZ Supras all have big brakes and Recaros, but Toyota downspecced the diff and driveshaft and radiator. They also changed the Getrag ratios, and made the auto Tiptronic.

So you can get a twin turbo with big brakes/diff/driveshaft and Recaros standard.

Firstly, JDM Supras came as two model series - 1993-1996, and 1997-2002. Early model RZs have the big diff, big driveshaft, big radiator but only got the 4 pot brakes and Recaros in 1995-97 in the "facelift".

VVTi RZ Supras all have big brakes and Recaros, but Toyota downspecced the diff and driveshaft and radiator. They also changed the Getrag ratios, and made the auto Tiptronic.

So you can get a twin turbo with big brakes/diff/driveshaft and Recaros standard.

And your post doesn't paint the full picture either, my '94 has the larger 4 pot brakes.

Has anyone else found that the UK auto box behaves more like the J-Spec N/A than the J-Spec TT? It doesn't change down gear as quickly (quickly as in you can press the pedal more before it will change down, not the actual time it takes to change gear) and it definitely changes up gear sooner too if you're not WOT.

The only thing I can find to support my claim is all of the N/A's and UK's I've seen have just "ECT" written next to the MANU button, whereas the J-Spec TT's have "ECT-i" standing for "Electronically Controlled Automatic Transmission with Intelligence" which supposedly "computes the variables of mechanical wear, driving style and road conditions to create the optimum shift pattern".

As I result I find the J-Spec auto more sportier (and fun) but the UK auto is nicer for cruising.

Or is it just me? :)

LOL! And it seems everybody is adding to it:p

Well heres my 2 pennith, The J spec could be bought with practically any options, so there are an awful lot of J spec cars equipped with any, or most of the UK options, plus others that where not even in the UK options list.

IBTL;)

if yours is a genuine JDM import, then it has been modified.

With regards to the "bigger" brakes the UK spec came with, the following models (+ year) of Supra had said brakes as a factory option:-

1993-1997 SZ

1994-1997 SZ-R

1994-1997 SZ-R Aerotop

1995-1997 RZ-S

1993-1995 RZ

1993-1996 GZ

1993-1994 GZ Aerotop

1997-2002 SZ

1997-2002 SZ-R

1997-1998 SZ-R Aerotop

1997-2002 RZ-S

The 1995-1997 RZ and 1997-2002 RZ came with the same brakes as the UK spec as standard fit.

All of the others are a factory option and - in my eyes - not modified as such as I consider that more of an aftermarket definition.

All of the bolded examples are of which Thorin's car may fall into when stating "1994 J-Spec".

Given that it is a 6 speed (RZ/RZ-S), it still complies as they are in said category.

:)

Auto + hand :)

Storage is something that's lacking though, door pockets, cup holders etc... for a GT car there is very little scope for resting a coffee and a pie somewhere without worrying about it slipping.

I'd just like to add a kebab retaining device was foolishly left out. I had a small crash in my MK3 due to an unsecure doner and a roundabout. Lettuce and meaty bits everywhere and a dent in the driver's door.

Something the MKIV peeps clearly over-looked.