The mkiv Supra Owners Club

DIY Carbon Fibre Wrapping

Tee from China

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been looking into getting my dash panels coated for some time now, most car companies I believe use water transfer printing to coat the panels on new dash boards to get carbon or wood effect. I initially found mad coatings in Australia who were willing to do the work for about £300 plus delivery and it would take about 4 weeks. They even have photos of a supra dash on their site:)

http://www.mad-coatings.com

After some further investigation I found a company in the UK that can do the same process, and I have been given a quote of £188.50 including delivery, I have just mailed them a copy of the carbon effect I would like on all my face lift dash panels. And am awaiting a reply as to whether they can match the effect.

The quote is for all dash panels including the door handles and window switch panel and gear surround.

My only problem is that my facelift speedo/rev panel is missing a fixing clip leg so really wanted to replace this before getting the coating done. :rolleyes:

http://www.wtp-technics.co.uk/index.php

I like the ones Nic posted up.

Very nice indeed.

Haveing already forked out to have mine resprayed, do I really need another set...

Maybe, yes...

hi

are you ok?

did you see me around?

didn't pass the dvs test!!:(

still need to do some minor thinks!

Looks a bit naff imo and round the keyhole looks a mess, i prefer stock.

Interesting. My Ridox side skirts with 'carbon' sections are looking a little tatty and I've been wondering if I could overlay something like this. More investigation and photos of results required methinks.

Might work if you laquer over it.

That looks sweet, its strange this came up as I was just looking at the silver dash in mine and thinkin it could do with some tidying up, this deffo looks like a possibility. Looks awesome with a coat of clear on it!

Vynl wraps are catching on, its predicted that they will in time take over from paint. I looked into a company called Raccoon here in the UK. Guys are really helpful and believe it or not the price for a complete wrap is less than a respray. The advantages are you can incorporate photo imaging etc. It won't be everyones cup of tea and I can hear all the doubters already. Raccoon have prepared many of the gumball cars. By all accounts, if you get fed up with it there is no long term effects on the paint once the wrap is removed.

Might work if you laquer over it.

yeah that would be the plan after I spoke to Steve at AutoTec (where Ryan's track car is being built). it would be difficult to make them look any worse, but new ones would go the same way without any protection (and cost me a grand!) :(

I'd like to see this stuff in the.... flesh? plastic? ;) to make a judgement call on whether it's for me or not.

Don't think you can clear coat it, at least not according to the thread on sf, it's just fabric. If you look at the close ups you can see it looks quite fuzzy. You'd be better off using the real carbon fibre with an adhesive backing you can get for relatively flat areas. You couldn't use it for doing the dash as there's too many curves but it's reasonably flexible.

Quick update to clear up some incorrect assumptions and another link for info

link is :- http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185836

and the info:-

CF Fabric prides itself of the following:

• Extended Longevity

• Dry Carbon Effect

• OE Quality Finish

• Water Resistant

• Stain Resistant

• Crack Resistant

CF Fabric is the newest type of carbon fibre interior. No, it's not your typical CF overlay nor is it vinyl. This is actual fabric showcasing a CF based weave to allow the trim to breathe even better than leather.

Starting price goes for $35 shipped for the first yard! And $32.50 per additional yard =)!!!

Please send payment to [email protected] via PayPal. State your screen name and the code: CFFABR in the notes section.

Effective March 15, 2008, the MSRP for the initial yard is going to be $40 shipped to the lower 48 states and $37.50 for the following yards.

Due to the increase of the factory's material cost, international shipping rates, fuel surcharge rates, the actual fabric's value increased. We're trying to keep the price as low as possible and this new pricing is the least we can do. If our supplier lowers our price on us, then we will move our pricing structure accordingly. Thank you for your understanding.

Due to many requests, we will follow suit to your needs. Two new shades will be coming soon =)...Silver Carbon Fibre Fabric and Black Carbon Fibre Fabric will be hitting our shelves soon enough! These two will still have the same quality and flexibility as our current shade has. Once these two come out, the original Carbon Fibre Fabric will be known as Charcoal Carbon Fibre Fabric. Pictures of samples will be posted in the near future!

Just had reply back from these guys at this company, stating a yard (36 x 55 inches to us middle age guys :p ) $35 a yard + $35 shipping up to a max of 4 yards , with a delivery time of 6-10 days !

pay thro paypal or phone no. given in opening thread to pay by credit card .

Very tempted :eyebrows: